Is this BMW slip on legal?

Xaos

Hi question as I know they like to fine for exhausts.

I'm thinking getting new s1000r

They got this slip on for it

I took stamps pic, is it legal would they be able to tell?

20171117_153325.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

from the finish it looks to me like a copy - how much they are asking for the exhaust? Anything below 20K is a copy - but some selling copies above 20 K as well.

I do recommend the only offical Akrapovic importer in Thailand "TP Powersport, original price but quality and warranty as well

Xaos: in about 2 weeks, BMW will likely bring the updated 2017 model to Thailand which has a different exhaust and this Akra shorty wont fit it. The updated model comes with an Akra pipe standard which looks and sounds fine imho (I rode one for a day).

About that specific exhaust: I don't know if this one is real or not (the E and parts numbers do check out fine) but I'd assume it would need a TIS stamp to be road legal in Thailand. This slipon is road legal in the EU according to the old Euro 3 so I'd think it should pass Thai emission standards which allow for 95 dB. But you never know here... I'd ask Akrapovic. Chances are that they didn't care to get it certified in Thailand because of too few sales.

2 hours ago, manarak said:

why are people doing this kind of useless stuff

:facepalm:

Pretty ignorant to post this without knowing anything about the topic.

:facepalm:

This is not one of those loud exhausts. It's a road legal version (in EU) and mainly helps with looks and weight.

This is Thailand. Please define legal.

Not road legal in Germany? I don't think any aftermarkets are legal there, just like here. (Technically)

Does it look original? 

Doesn't matter how many markings or stamps on it. Solly no talk ingris! It could have TISI written all over it they'll still want 500 Baht from you, if they think it is loud.

It looks about 8 inches long . How loud do you think it is going to be? Louder than original?

BMW has cleverly designed their exhaust so you can customize what is effectively the tail pipe without compromising  the actual sound reduction properties. Maybe RTP won't notice.

Live upcountry and go touring? No worries. Live in Pattaya and go hooning around, carry your wallet!

Edited by VocalNeal

Hi, I have the exact same exhaust on my S1000r.

To be honest its not much louder than original which i like, but it does have nice growl and over run popping.

Riden from Pattaya, Bangkok, Kanchanaburi, Krabi, Cambodia, Koh Chang etc etc

With zero police issues, only ever looked at the bike and asked for normal papers etc.

8 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Not road legal in Germany? I don't think any aftermarkets are legal there, just like here. (Technically)

Completely wrong. There are plenty road legal aftermarket exhausts available in Germany. This specific one has EU wide approval. Here's the EC type approval doc: https://d1sfhav1wboke3.cloudfront.net/ImageServer/Apim2media/Documents/14659/993973465716493c97544671c1df1b51.pdf

There are also legal aftermarket exhausts in Thailand if they went through the necessary certification process which unfortunately virtually none do here. I think I saw a road legal Mugen or Moriwaki sold by Bigwing but I don't remember 100%. Ducati has some aftermarket Akrapovic and Termignoni exhausts that are road legal (have to be as some models come with them standard).

This Akrapovic exhaust is not much louder than the stock one if at all. It changes the tone to sound deeper though. It saves weight and looks worlds better than the stock one which was kinda ugly for models prior to 2017. Most of the sound dampening happens before the final muffler inside the catalytic converter box and this slip-on exhaust is put after that. Only when one changes the complete exhaust ("full system") and removes the cat will this thing get very loud. I wouldn't recommend that as I rode the S1000XR with a full system and it was stupidly loud.

3 minutes ago, colin123 said:

Hi, I have the exact same exhaust on my S1000r.

To be honest its not much louder than original which i like, but it does have nice growl and over run popping.

Riden from Pattaya, Bangkok, Kanchanaburi, Krabi, Cambodia, Koh Chang etc etc

With zero police issues, only ever looked at the bike and asked for normal papers etc.

Hey Colin, congrats on the nice bike! I'm very tempted to get the 2017 model once BMW brings it here hopefully soon. I've ridden it in Europe for a day in the alps and it was a blast. My only concern is the heat that it might develop here. I couldn't judge that as the air temp was like 10-15 degree when I rode it. Do you have any issues with heat? I heard it gets quite hot on the left side. I have a Ducati Scrambler with air cooled engine and that thing can roast your thighs on a hot day. Wouldn't really want that again.

9 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Hey Colin, congrats on the nice bike! I'm very tempted to get the 2017 model once BMW brings it here hopefully soon. I've ridden it in Europe for a day in the alps and it was a blast. My only concern is the heat that it might develop here. I couldn't judge that as the air temp was like 10-15 degree when I rode it. Do you have any issues with heat? I heard it gets quite hot on the left side. I have a Ducati Scrambler with air cooled engine and that thing can roast your thighs on a hot day. Wouldn't really want that again.

Thanks, Yes i'm waiting for the new model to come out in Thailand too.

I've had the s1000r for 2 years, zero issues, no heat problems.

It does get hot between the legs but can't say its more or less than other bikes i had.

If wearing trousers its ok, shorts yep you will feel it.

Had a GSXR600 and Monster 795 here before.

The S1000R is in a different league compared to those bikes.

7 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Only when one changes the complete exhaust ("full system") and removes the cat will this thing get very loud. I wouldn't recommend that as I rode the S1000XR with a full system and it was stupidly loud.

The ECU fuel mapping has to be re-calibrated if you do that don't it. 

14 hours ago, MrJ said:

from the finish it looks to me like a copy - how much they are asking for the exhaust? Anything below 20K is a copy - but some selling copies above 20 K as well.

I do recommend the only offical Akrapovic importer in Thailand "TP Powersport, original price but quality and warranty as well

Its a BMW store in Pattaya, its over 40k.

13 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Xaos: in about 2 weeks, BMW will likely bring the updated 2017 model to Thailand which has a different exhaust and this Akra shorty wont fit it. The updated model comes with an Akra pipe standard which looks and sounds fine imho (I rode one for a day).

About that specific exhaust: I don't know if this one is real or not (the E and parts numbers do check out fine) but I'd assume it would need a TIS stamp to be road legal in Thailand. This slipon is road legal in the EU according to the old Euro 3 so I'd think it should pass Thai emission standards which allow for 95 dB. But you never know here... I'd ask Akrapovic. Chances are that they didn't care to get it certified in Thailand because of too few sales.

Are you sure, cuz the one I looked at is new 2017 model, I asked if anything new commong and guy was like I dont know, wchich I was suspicious about, work in BMW but dunno?

Bike was 650k but he was like I give discount and sell u 600k

Im sure its different to 2016.

I know this bike in europe comes with Akro, but not in Thailand, and in EU its got 5hp more

23730979_10156841044928206_360386767_o.jpg

To be clear, its Exhaust from BMW store Pattaya, so guees its not copy.

I had in mind TIS stamp, just forgot name of it, thats why took stamps pic, so if its not there its doggy exhaust.

I live in Pattaya, here they like to fine for exhausts, had few fines before on small ninja 300, forced me to put back stock.

Now got monster 821 but stock.

Thinking selling it and getting new bmw

Guys I think its latest 2017 model

Got quickshifter

and funny heated handle bar? yeh it does :)

10 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Completely wrong. There are plenty road legal aftermarket exhausts available in Germany.

OK stand corrected. Maybe my info is wrong. I thought  If it has a "E" number you're alright if it is not a Geman registered bike. If it's a local bike it has to be Tuv certified and if you want to put on another pipe, you have to get new certificate.

But I wouldn't worry about all the engraving and stickers here. You are in the country at the discretion of the immigration officer who stamped you in and whether you pay 500 baht for an aftermarket exhaust will be at the discretion of whomever who stops you.

Xaos. That 1000 looks very nice. Might be worth a trip to BMW in Bangkok to see what they have.  For 40,000 I assume you get a whole under slung muffler as well. I thought I liked the R Nine Racer until I compared the price:shock1:

Here is the one from the worldwide site

S1000R_ProductPage_LightboxBig_1920x1080

It has a giant tailpipe. I don't know what any other differences there are.

If you intend to keep the bike for a while it probably doesn't matter so tell them you are happy to take it if they throw in the 40,000 B system which didn't cost them 40,000. If not go to Bangkok and buy the new model.

Edited by VocalNeal

1 hour ago, Xaos said:

Are you sure, cuz the one I looked at is new 2017 model, I asked if anything new commong and guy was like I dont know, wchich I was suspicious about, work in BMW but dunno?

Bike was 650k but he was like I give discount and sell u 600k

Im sure its different to 2016.

I know this bike in europe comes with Akro, but not in Thailand, and in EU its got 5hp more

Yes 100% sure. This color and exhaust doesn't exist with the 2017 model. Here's the red 2017 model. Different exhaust (same world wide), side fairing, colors. 2017 comes with auto blipper (2016 in your pic only quickshifter) and rubber mounted handlebars. He is giving you the 600k deal because he knows full well that in 2 weeks they'll have the updated model and wont be able to sell the 2016 one easily. I find that a bit of an <deleted> move and would make me hesitant of the dealer. Unfortunately lying is common in sales.

maxresdefault.jpg

I'm looking at the "motorsport" color scheme:

2017-bmw-s1000r-101.jpg

1 hour ago, eisfeld said:

Yes 100% sure. This color and exhaust doesn't exist with the 2017 model. Here's the red 2017 model. Different exhaust (same world wide), side fairing, colors. 2017 comes with auto blipper (2016 in your pic only quickshifter) and rubber mounted handlebars. He is giving you the 600k deal because he knows full well that in 2 weeks they'll have the updated model and wont be able to sell the 2016 one easily. I find that a bit of an <deleted> move and would make me hesitant of the dealer. Unfortunately lying is common in sales.

maxresdefault.jpg

I'm looking at the "motorsport" color scheme:

2017-bmw-s1000r-101.jpg

Yes but bikes comes with different configurations in Europe and Thailand

For example in europe u might not have quickshifter but something else instead

I think it might be 2017 https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/2017-bmw-s1000r-pre-production/

Anyway there is motorshow in bangkok end of the month, might go and see whats new :) https://www.facebook.com/events/133097410669847/

But im sure when I ask them 4 months ago other sale person told me new models and colors comoin in december, but now other guy says "I dont know"

Edited by Xaos

It's 100%, guaranteed 2016 model. The link you sent has the 2017 on top and then the 2016 under it in the article. Look at the exhausts, the side panels on the fairing for the most visible differences. Check the filenames of the pictures in the article. The first one on top says 2017 and the red one from below which is exactly the one you posted is actually 2014.

Yes sometimes in certain countries bikes have different features but with this bike the situation is as follows right now: in Germany you can buy a base model and add features like cruise control, riding modes etc on top. Here in Thailand there's only one choice and it includes all of these.

The 2017 model has two pipes going into the muffler, the 2016 has just one. If you want that Akra shorty, you are stuck with the 2016 model that they showed you.

The sales guy is just flat out lying to you because like I said I'm pretty sure the new model will come in a few days and then they're stuck with the old one. They are already one year late introducing it in Thailand. That's why they are offering a 50k discount. They might say it's 2017 because it might have been built in 2017 (not sure since they are selling off left over stock from other countries I guess, the bike you showed is not allowed to be registered anymore in EU because it doesn't meat Euro 4 which came into effect at the beginning of 2017). But its not what they sell as 2017 model in EU or USA or other "western" countries.

Either way now is the worst time to buy a bike in Thailand, so close to the Motor Expo. So yea, definitely go check it out.

It's 100%, guaranteed 2016 model. The link you sent has the 2017 on top and then the 2016 under it in the article. Look at the exhausts, the side panels on the fairing for the most visible differences. Check the filenames of the pictures in the article. The first one on top says 2017 and the red one from below which is exactly the one you posted is actually 2014.

Yes sometimes in certain countries bikes have different features but with this bike the situation is as follows right now: in Germany you can buy a base model and add features like cruise control, riding modes etc on top. Here in Thailand there's only one choice and it includes all of these.

The 2017 model has two pipes going into the muffler, the 2016 has just one. If you want that Akra shorty, you are stuck with the 2016 model that they showed you.

The sales guy is just flat out lying to you because like I said I'm pretty sure the new model will come in a few days and then they're stuck with the old one. They are already one year late introducing it in Thailand. That's why they are offering a 50k discount. They might say it's 2017 because it might have been built in 2017 (not sure since they are selling off left over stock from other countries I guess, the bike you showed is not allowed to be registered anymore in EU because it doesn't meat Euro 4 which came into effect at the beginning of 2017). But its not what they sell as 2017 model in EU or USA or other "western" countries.

Either way now is the worst time to buy a bike in Thailand, so close to the Motor Expo. So yea, definitely go check it out.
So it's updated 2016 model.

I was suspicious about it.

The important thing here is you insurance, buy the BMW original akrapovic exhaust, it sounds much more better compared to the original.

In case of a crash your insurance will not pay if it is modified. If you dont care, use what you like, the cops don't care too as long you pay  :)   

The important thing here is you insurance, buy the BMW original akrapovic exhaust, it sounds much more better compared to the original.
In case of a crash your insurance will not pay if it is modified. If you dont care, use what you like, the cops don't care too as long you pay  :)   

Problem is they stop me almost everyday sometimes twice a day. Yep that's Pattaya.
Fine is 1000 So it's a No for me.

It doesn't matter it's bmw or not I want to know it's legal so they will not fine me.

3 minutes ago, Xaos said:

Problem is they stop me almost everyday sometimes twice a day. Yep that's Pattaya.
Fine is 1000 So it's a No for me.

It doesn't matter it's bmw or not I want to know it's legal so they will not fine me.

Go with your printed pic to your local BMW dealer, they can tell you it is a stock or not, best case here request a confirmation this is a "stock" unmodified exhaust.

Next time the cops stop you and they guy coming up with the modified bike story show him, you can escalate it with his Boss, be careful he'll find something other :)

Most guys have no clue, I believe its more money making, btw. in BKK it is also 1k, if you pay at once it is 200...

A easy solution is be (more) friendly, to solve this, bring them sometimes cold drinks, sweets from your country,  surprise them, whatever, next time I'll bet they'll

remember to you and you can pass longterm, it is the 'cheaper' solution :) If you ride without the exhaust it is another story.....

Go with your printed pic to your local BMW dealer, they can tell you it is a stock or not, best case here request a confirmation this is a "stock" unmodified exhaust.
Next time the cops stop you and they guy coming up with the modified bike story show him, you can escalate it with his Boss, be careful he'll find something other :)
Most guys have no clue, I believe its more money making, btw. in BKK it is also 1k, if you pay at once it is 200...

A easy solution is be (more) friendly, to solve this, bring them sometimes cold drinks, sweets from your country,  surprise them, whatever, next time I'll bet they'll
remember to you and you can pass longterm, it is the 'cheaper' solution :) If you ride without the exhaust it is another story.....

That pic was taken in bmw motard Pattaya but as usual they don't know anything.