Advice - Too many visa runs?

Hi, 

Currently I have 1 exemption,  a short break followed by two back to back tourist visas (the first gained in Phnom Penh, the next in Savannakhet), and a non-b directly after (Savannakhet) for teaching that will run out 3rd december.  I will be returning to enter a monastery after 3rd december.  My preference is to go to Vientiane by land over the crossing near Udon Thani, to see the place and celebrate a birthday.  My initial thought was to get a visa exemption, as 2 of these are permitted, and it might be staying within the letter of the regulations, but if possible a tourist visa would suit my monastic aspirations better.  Any thoughts.  UK national.

Thanks

9 hours ago, BritTim said:

Remember December 5 is a holiday. 

The 4th is also a holiday.

• 4 Dec 2017
    Substitution for Lao National Dayวันหยุดประจำปี: Lao
    5 Dec 2017
  • King Bhumibol Adulyadej's Birthdayวันหยุดประจำปี: Thai

Source: http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/en/embassy/calendar.php

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:
11 hours ago, BritTim said:

Remember December 5 is a holiday. 

The 4th is also a holiday.

• 4 Dec 2017
    Substitution for Lao National Dayวันหยุดประจำปี: Lao
    5 Dec 2017
  • King Bhumibol Adulyadej's Birthdayวันหยุดประจำปี: Thai

Source: http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/en/embassy/calendar.php

Ouch! I missed that.

2 minutes ago, steve73 said:

I thought it was 2 exemptions by land... Exemptions by air do not count - or has it changed  (again..)?

And is it 2 max per calendar year or per 12 month period...?

It is still 2 visa exempt entries by land per calendar year. You are correct that visa exempt entries by air do not count against the limit of visa exempt entries by land.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, flyingdoc said:

So are VE which are NOT back to back and are always by air, not limited in theory at least ?

While there is no explicit limit, using visa exempt entries in conjunction with tourist visas to live in Thailand will lead to trouble. Once you have accumulated 6 visa exempt entries (since 2015) the immigration official is alerted to scrutinize you more closely as a genuine tourist. If you only ever stay, perhaps, 100 days per year in Thailand this will not be a problem. Otherwise, entering visa exempt past a certain point is risky.