Driver has seizure, crashes into shop

snoop1130

Driver has seizure, crashes into shop

By The Nation

836e3b9c95fb7f768d4c01aa04748a15.jpeg

A 40-year-old man had a seizure while driving home late Thursday night, crashing his car into a 7-Eleven convenient store in Muang district, Phrae province.

After hearing of the incident at midnight, Pol Lt Colonel Uthai Wiangthong rushed to the scene in front of Piriyalai School and found the driver, Pokpong Preecha, and his mother who was sitting in the passenger's front seat. Both had suffered slight injuries and the Toyota Corona sedan was stuck on the pavement. 

The store’s door and front window were damaged, as were some flower pots at a nearby shop.

Pokpong’s mother told police she had picked Pokpong up from the bus station as he was visiting his hometown from Chiang Mai, where he worked.

She had let him take the wheel to drive home and while he was driving, he suddenly had a seizure and lost control of the car, driving it on to the pavement and into the front of the 7-Eleven.

Pokpong was charged with reckless driving causing damage to another person’s property.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30331886

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-11-17

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

Pol Lt Colonel Uthai Wiangthong rushed to the scene

Obviously none of the family could stump up the required amount to get him off the hook. Situation normal for RTP. Colonel Uthai Wiangthong goes home empty handed despite rushing to the scene to make the collection.

32 minutes ago, Hi kwai fun said:

There should be talk about Pakong never driving a car again ...

No ? 

Never again may be a little harsh.

If the cause of the seizure can be pinpointed after medical testing and all possible precautions are taken he should be allowed to drive. 

Many drivers have had medical episodes which have been proven to be very random or most likely not repeatable and continue to hold a drivers license. 

8 minutes ago, MadMuhammad said:

If the cause of the seizure can be pinpointed after medical testing and all possible precautions are taken he should be allowed to drive. 

Many drivers have had medical episodes which have been proven to be very random or most likely not repeatable and continue to hold a drivers license. 

How about not allowed to drive for 3-6 months and again only after clearance from a neurologist ?  

18 minutes ago, Hi kwai fun said:

How about not allowed to drive for 3-6 months and again only after clearance from a neurologist ?  

Agreed. Definitely allowing time to pinpoint the issue and waiting to see if it may be a continuing issue makes sense. 

When I had an horrific traffic accident which resulted in an Aquired Brain Injury I had my drivers license suspended on medical grounds for 12 months as a precaution. I then had to be re-tested before being allowed on the roads again. 

1 hour ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

I reckon the brakes seized......

Lol maybe  If you believe his story then you have to believe in the tooth fairy I would say just a little bit of speed involved or alcohol  If mum tries to tell the police the truth maybe a beating for her later from him So seizure will do

On 11/18/2017 at 3:54 AM, MadMuhammad said:

people with epilepsy should NOT be allowed to drive.....they could have a fit/seizure at any time....

After a big seizure I was diagnosed with epilepsy my neurologist told me she would not formally take my license as long as I promised not to drive until she said so. I immediately sold my car and did not drive for 18 months. Even now I never drive for work, I use a car service if I have to go somewhere.

The problem (at least in the US) is that no neurologist ever wants to sign off and say you are fit to drive. If anything ever happened they would be liable in court. So if you do lose your license the change of you ever getting it back again is slim.

That being said, anyone having a seizure while driving should definitely be evaluated for their capability to drive and not drive until they have this under control.

On 11/18/2017 at 4:07 AM, Hi kwai fun said:

good idea.....I do NOT THINK any records are kept regarding a person going to see a doc at a clinic.....so YES must have clearance from a BRAIN DOC.....who, no doubt will NOT CHECK brain for driving skills !!!

2 hours ago, smccolley said:

After a big seizure I was diagnosed with epilepsy my neurologist told me she would not formally take my license as long as I promised not to drive until she said so. I immediately sold my car and did not drive for 18 months. Even now I never drive for work, I use a car service if I have to go somewhere.

The problem (at least in the US) is that no neurologist ever wants to sign off and say you are fit to drive. If anything ever happened they would be liable in court. So if you do lose your license the change of you ever getting it back again is slim.

That being said, anyone having a seizure while driving should definitely be evaluated for their capability to drive and not drive until they have this under control.

I do NOT THINK any records are kept regarding a person going to see a doc at a clinic.....so YES must have clearance from a BRAIN DOC.....who, no doubt will NOT CHECK brain for driving skills !!!

2 hours ago, garbolino said:

I do NOT THINK any records are kept regarding a person going to see a doc at a clinic.....so YES must have clearance from a BRAIN DOC.....who, no doubt will NOT CHECK brain for driving skills !!!

Umm, not sure why all the loud words, but I was competent to drive before the seizure, and the brain doc was simply making sure I did not have another seizure, She certainly didn't check my driving ability, but lets just assume I hadn't forgotten how in the 18 months since I stopped. Not surprisingly I didn't forget how and haven't had a seizure at the wheel ever, and certainly not in the 27 years since my diagnosis.