Resigning - Visa / Work Permit

Hello,

I'm leaving my job and not exactly sure what must be done or what will happen.

Visa:

I'll go with employer to local immigration office to cancel visa on my last day.  I'm then given 1 day to cross the border?... 7 day extension wouldn't help too much.

Work Permit:

Employer told me cancelling that will happen later.... not sure what that means.  Once I leave the city I'm living in, I don't plan to return to the area anytime soon.  Should I insist on going to the Labour Office before I leave to cancel the WP?.... or do I just hand the WP book to employer on last day and they take care of it?... i signed a power of attorney in the past for them to apply for WP.

I might be missing other issues as well.  Thank you for any suggestions.

I assume you have an extension of stay on the basis of working (it is not a visa). If that is wrong, ignore the rest of this post, and indicate what you have.

Get the employer to provide a letter indicating the last date of your employment. If you take this to immigration in advance, they will give you a revised extension date that ends on your last day of employment. Do not worry about the WP. It is not important. Giving it to your employer and just forgetting about it is fine.

Depending on your nationality, planning a border hop to get a 30-day visa exempt entry might be the easiest way to gain time to make other plans. (I assume, here, that you do not cannot apply for an extension of stay under other criteria, such as being married to a Thai.)

• Like 1

In my experience the employer doesn't have to cancel the visa. It will expire if not renewed at the date which will be already stamped in your passport.

When I resigned I had 3 weeks until I had to depart and get a tourist visa 

I did hear of a case where the employer wanted to be difficult and cancelled the visa leaving the employee with 24 hours to leave the country. 

The WP expires in the same way. It's tied to that specific employer as they were your sponsor.

16 minutes ago, MonkeyLoo said:

I did hear of a case where the employer wanted to be difficult and cancelled the visa leaving the employee with 24 hours to leave the country. 

Immigrations would not cancel a visa when someone ends employment. You're confusing visas with extensions of stay.

No, it's not semantics. They are not the same. Visas have an expiration date. They are issued at an embassy or consulates. They remain valid until they expire.

Extensions of stay can be cancelled/become invalid when the purpose for which they were issued ends ... in this case employment.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Thanks to the above.

* Yes, I am on an extension to stay based on working.

* I'm not married and have no other way to extend my stay.

So, once my final day of employment has been given to immigration, how long do you have to leave the country?... until midnight the following day?

2 minutes ago, ouagadougou said:

So, once my final day of employment has been given to immigration, how long do you have to leave the country?... until midnight the following day?

If you go to immigration a few days before the date that will be on a termination letter from you employer immigration will postdate the cancellation to that date which gives you  you time to leave the country.

If you went to immigration on the date of termination you would have until midnight to leave the country. There is no 24 hours.

1 hour ago, ouagadougou said:

Let's say your last actual employment date is a Friday. Most employers will agree to a letter giving a termination date of the following Sunday. There is no exposure for either you or your employer in doing this. That would give you 48 hours to get to a border.

Hi,

A little confused... again.

Work has told me that I don't have to go to immigration to cancel my extension of stay.  They said I can just cross the border and it will be cancelled automatically.

I'm not sure, but I think that may cause issues when I do cross the border. 

Thoughts?

Thank you....

1 minute ago, ouagadougou said:

Work has told me that I don't have to go to immigration to cancel my extension of stay.  They said I can just cross the border and it will be cancelled automatically.

I'm not sure, but I think that may cause issues when I do cross the border. 

That only makes your extension invalid. It does not cancel it. If you wanted to apply for another extension later not having it formally canceled by immigration could cause a problem.

At some border crossing the ask to see a termination letter and will not allow you leave without it.

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That only makes your extension invalid. It does not cancel it. If you wanted to apply for another extension later not having it formally canceled by immigration could cause a problem.

At some border crossing the ask to see a termination letter and will not allow you leave without it.

Thank you for that.

17 minutes ago, allane said:

To Ubonjoe - re your Post #9 - at which border crossings do they want to see a termination letter, please ?

Mukdahan and Nong Khai have been reported as wanting it.

A visa run company that does runs to Ban Laem requests you inform them if you have a extension that has not been canceled.