Being Gay, if you were forced to leave Thailand, ....

Pawpcorn

So this question's been rattling around in my brain these past two weeks... BECAUSE my best friend in Thailand was kicked out, over a technicality, regarding the 90 day notice...

He got personally visited by the Immigration Police, for supposedly violating the requirement to register every 90 days... EVEN THO he showed them his passport that showed his recent return, from America, which he was certain, by the rules, reset the period count for the 90 day visit to Immigration.  Even tho the Imm Police left, they returned a few days later, confiscated almost everything, and threw him into jail... and he had to buy his way out, accompanied by a plane ticket, back to America.

Anyway...!!! Although that all seemed so incredibly shocking to me (he was a 10 year resident, on Retirement Extension, similar to me, at 12 years; he was residing in Pattaya, while I've settled in, in Issan) ...That's not the focus of this post.

Back to topic:

Being Gay, if you were forced to leave Thailand... what would you do (assuming your funds were limited to Social Security {like me} or a bit more than that, yet with credit card debt, as in the case of my friend?)

I wrote him an email expressing what I think MY thinking would be, if this happened to me (as follows)

---------------------------------after personal greeting... ---------------------------------------------

Obviously, as you can imagine, I run your situation through my brain daily, in the vein of "There for the Grace of God, go I" relatability reasons...

So, passing by all the events that led you to actually being on USA soil... closer, physically, to racism and the vile Trump...

I've been thinking about what MY next actions would be, eh?

Assuming I was past immediate money concerns...

I think that I, personally, would be looking to return to S.E. Asia... somewhere (because I just feel so much more at home with Asians...)

Obviously I couldn't afford a Hi-So country like Japan, Singapore, Taiwan or South Korea, eh?

So then... the only choices (I THINK!) would be the neighboring countries of Thailand.

With THAT mental conclusion then... I think my order of preference would be:
1) Vietnam (for all the publicized reasons that Vietnam is enjoyed by many Westerners, as the retirement zone...)
2) Myanmar (another dictatorship, BUT boys are cuter than Vietnamese IMHO, massive shared border with Thailand, culture close to Thai, but NOT AS SAFE, probably, as Thailand, for day to day living, and totally not sure if they make it available as a long-term Retirement solution, as does Thailand???)
3) Laos (COMMUNIST country, terribly corrupt, but the boys are cute, the language similar to Thai, and living's cheap, but still, the unresearched topic of long term Retirement possibilities??)
4) Cambodia (seems deeply impoverished and terribly corrupt?)
5) Malaysia (probably too expensive to live there? and the retirement research, again)

So that's my thinking, of what I would do, just speaking for me...

AND #1 and #2 would be a close call, since there are MANY things (did I mention the cute gay boys???) that I find attractive about Myanmar... but just unsure about the long-term retirement stability there.

Anyway!

Those are MY mental musings!

I guess, too, that I don't really have the faith in the "commitment" that my Thai bf actually has... with me. In MY case I'd suppose that once the money flow was gone, so would he be gone, without much of a second thought, in the long-term way of thinking.

But again, that's me, and my beliefs and my needs...

Your thoughts?

------------------------ending sentiments to my friend then continued here...--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd be interested in hearing the thoughts of other gay farangs here; +

1) curious about what YOUR recovery to being kicked out of Thailand would be... and

2) if you'd return, to live nearby Thailand,

3) what your order of preferred countries would be, and

4)how you think my (non-researched) list of preferred choices, and reasons for the preferences... holds up, to YOUR beliefs and understanding.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing wrong with being gay and living in the US.   In spite of the political climate, most people have gotten on with their lives with little notice to Trump and his endlessly changing agenda.  

....but it is sort of up to your friend as far as what he thinks is best for his life.   I would tend to go for Cambodia myself, although it is quite a toss-up between Cambodia and Vietnam.  

Can I respectfully and gently suggest that it would be highly unusual for a person to be deported for failing to report properly their 90 days, I can't imagine that a penalty of that magnitude actually exists on the books, for such a violation. It would almost certainly be there were other issues at play in all of that hence you are probably worrying about nothing, as long as your visa situation is sorted and up to date.

Most of those nations don't have retirement visa programs and in the case of Malaysia, I'm sure your friend couldn't afford it. I wouldn't avoid Malaysia because of the Muslim majority though. It seems like some places there are quite decent places to live. 

Cambodia is still easy for visas so that would be the natural first choice. But the medical care is not good. Need evacuation to Thailand for anything serious.

Outside of the S.E. Asia and the U.S. of course, other low budget options that are visa possibles include:

Ecuador

Nicaragua

Costa Rica

But in all of those you would need a police clearance from Thailand as he's lived there for so long and it sounds like your friend would have a problem with that.

So short answer -- Cambodia

Edited by Jingthing

I’ve wondered about the same thing. If not Thailand, where?

I’m legally married to my Thai partner, although our marriage is obviously not recognized here. His passport limits our choices substantially. 

Vietnam is really the only decent option for us.

O.P. --

That immigration story is extremely shocking!
Can you possibly tell us WHICH local immigration office it was?

Also as far as travelling and the reset, it's my understanding that some offices are expecting returnees (or the person that owns the housing) to Thailand to report their arrival within 24 hours, which is actually a different thing than the 90 day report.

your friend was never asked to leave Thailand because of failure with the 90 day reporting .You sound like a couple of valium would calm you down .Most civilized counties accept gays so what's with the paranoia .Go To AUZ and get married

Australia is a very high cost nation and does not have legal same sex marriage yet. Weird advice unless you are Australian.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

20 hours ago, jippytum said:

your friend was never asked to leave Thailand because of failure with the 90 day reporting .You sound like a couple of valium would calm you down .Most civilized counties accept gays so what's with the paranoia .Go To AUZ and get married

Seems the OPs only concern with life and what country to live in is down to sleeping around with cute Asian boys.  Does not care about culture, language, food, climate, health care, society, landscape, technology, living standards, etc etc.  

Maybe try thinking with the brain, not what's in the pants? Also, thinking the person he is 'married' to does not love him and would leave him if his money dried up....maybe says something about his choices in life.

As for his friend being deported over one late 90 day report... think the OPs friend did not tell him the entire story?

Just now, Jingthing said:

Australia is a very high cost nation and does not have legal same sex marriage yet. Weird advice unless you are Australian.

Neither does Thailand, but many gay farangs like to live here as being gay in not such a big deal to the rest of society as it is in some countries.  

I'm not gay but actually don't see insecurity as only a gay thing.

After reading your post I am more than gratefull all over again to the people who taught me the art of living as much as I possibly can in the "present" ....the "now".

2 hours ago, jippytum said:

The legislation hasn’t been enacted yet, but gay people are welcomed.

Need plenty of money to live in Australia these days.

17 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

Gay or just another sex tourist? 

The reference to boys is disturbing.  Young men I can understand but boys?? 

But surely you have no problem talking about bargirls all day long...or is there a post somewhere to be found, where  you (or someone else) thinks we shouldn't say bargirls, but young barwomen??

Edited by Sapporillo

25 minutes ago, Sapporillo said:

But surely you have no problem talking about bargirls all day long...or is there a post somewhere to be found, where  you (or someone else) thinks we shouldn't say bargirls, but young barwomen??

No problem saying bargirls....it is clear what is meant by that.  The poster did not say barboys which would be similarly clear.  He said boys...... and I find that a little creepy. 

You do not have to agree.  I'm happy for you to disagree,  but I personally find it creepy. 

No problem saying bargirls....it is clear what is meant by that.  The poster did not say barboys which would be similarly clear.  He said boys...... and I find that a little creepy. 
You do not have to agree.  I'm happy for you to disagree,  but I personally find it creepy. 

I think you're trolling the gay forum.

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I think you're trolling the gay forum.

I'm so sorry....... I just read this on the newsletter and responded.  I don't think I'm trolling at all,  merely giving an opinion 

Is that not permitted anymore? 

1 hour ago, InMyShadow said:

that's odd. I see your opinions all over straight forums and nobody calls you a troll.

Personal insult not included.

What straight forums? There aren't any straight forums here.

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, tryasimight said:

I'm so sorry....... I just read this on the newsletter and responded.  I don't think I'm trolling at all,  merely giving an opinion 

Is that not permitted anymore? 

Opinions? Yes. I think you're intentionally doing what so many haters currently and in history have done ... conflating gay with pederasty. It's not all that rare for 35 year olds to call themselves boys and I've met old ladies that call themselves girls. If there was some kind of explicit wording about seeking YOUNG boys or legally UNDERAGE boys, I would agree with you entirely. But that did NOT happen. Another poster sleazily LIED that it did happen. That was NOT COOL. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Opinions? Yes. I think you're intentionally doing what so many haters currently and history have done ... conflating gay with pederasty. It's not unusual for 35 year olds to call themselves boys. I've met old ladies that call themselves girls.

Flaming is against the rules..... Welcome to my ignore list