U.S. citizens moving to Thailand

Hello - I apologize if this questions has been asked and answered multiple times before, I haven't been able to find a clear answer as of yet.

My husband and I are US citizens and want to move to Thailand in June of 2018. I work online and he will hopefully be doing the same.

What's the best way we can go about doing this? Can we apply for 60-day visas as many times as we'd like? I wouldn't want to just use the 30-day exemption because I feel like it would raise flags after a long period of time.

We'd be returning to the U.S. twice a year for about a month each time.

Any insight would be great. Thanks!

If you have the funds, you both buy each a non immigrant O-VISA, lets say single entry.,,,

Husband go to immigration in  Thailand during the last 30 days of that VISA validityperiod and applies for an extension of stay that is if you are over 50 years of age.

When husband have his extension for a year, his wife apply also for an extension based on being dependent, and by that she do not have to show any funds.

More details will surely be informed by Ubon Joe.

Good luck..

glegolo

Thank you for the information. We obviously want to be legal, so this is all very good information to know. 

It's possible my husband may have work when we arrive which could change things. However, since we're both under 50, it's looking like the expensive Elite Access via might, unfortunately, be the best option. We would certainly love to stay 5+ years.

Thanks again and we'll keep doing research. Considering an education visa as well?

Edited by ashleybrewer83
Misspelled word

Welcome to the quagmire and labyrinth of living and working in Thailand,

where things are Not what they seems, and the goal posts are being

moved around willy niily at the whims of the head of immigration

of the day, basically, reading current posts of this forum regarding people

with similar issues to yours and learning from their mistakes is your best

bet to come and work in Thailand successfully and happily, hassles free,,,

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, ashleybrewer83 said:

However, since we're both under 50, it's looking like the expensive Elite Access via might, unfortunately, be the best option.

Look at the alternative, investment-based visa.  Invest 10 million baht as specified by the rules.  Then, when you leave the country/switch to a different visa type (e.g. retirement), you can cash in your investment + gains.

• Like 1

An insight from a retiree who can afford to be smug because before I qualified for retirement twenty two years ago I had to fiddle the system very little yet still found it extremely irksome.

During a period of five years you want to stay in Thailand and return to the USA twice per year for a month each time. This will involve at least one stay of five months or more in Thailand. I don't think that there is any legal way to do this by simple tourism visas if you don't qualify for the over fifty long-stay visa. Doubtless you could take a chance and rely on circumventing the system by leaving the country and re-entering, certainly the two visits to the USA would give a legal means of kick starting the process without anguish but then what? I would go for the 'elite visa' since it would seem to have been devised for just such as you.

Logically 'not working' means not depriving a Thai citizen of work which, if what you do is carried on in cyberspace doesn't apply. The other aspect of work is deriving benifit from infrastructure and not contributing by way of tax, this should not be a problem as a tourist.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

3 hours ago, ashleybrewer83 said:

... However, since we're both under 50 ...

As others have stated, start with a METV from the USA.  Because you are returning to the USA twice per-year, this would enable you to get new METV Visas each time, and because you will stay a month each time, it breaks the "living here full time" perception, and shows you have the finances for frequent, expensive flights. 

Many people have stayed here most of the time for many years, by getting tourist-visas in the region, and by using friendly entry-points, since there is no legal limit on entering the country repeatedly with valid Tourist Visas. 

There are a few points of entry - unfortunately including Bangkok and some other airports - which seem to be staffed with (and/or supervised by) people who resent any non-Thai staying here for an extended period.  You can avoid any trouble with Immigration by using entry-points with friendly staff.  At some point, this may mean that your return-flight could be to Penang, after which you could take a train to Hat Yai, crossing at the Pedang Besar entry-point, then fly onward to your destination via a domestic flight (which do not involve immigration).

Be sure to always have 20K Baht worth of cash or travelers checks, each, when entering Thailand.  Although travelers checks and wads of cash are no longer necessary in the real-world, Thai immigration has been known to pretend that ATM machines don't exist, when using the lack of these funds to deny entry to travelers. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Agree with checking out other places.  Agree that other countries are cheaper and easier to stay in for longer periods - especially when under the age of 50. 

But strongly disagree that "Thailand is xenophobic, rudderless and angry."  A few bad apples in power at some Amphoe offices and Immigration checkpoints does not define the whole of the country.  Most Thais I know are good people who like many aspects of Western culture and Western people.  They are glad we are here and understand how we support Thai businesses with foreign-sourced funds.  They also know that many of the developments in technology and other sciences - benefiting billions across the world, including Thais - arose from Western nations.

The fact that they doggedly retain their own culture, and traditions is a strength - and what makes Thailand a very special and unique place in an increasingly "globalized" world. 

Was referencing the government as discussion was about visas.  The average Thai is patient, fun and ascetically cultivated.  Have only had good experiences with the average Thai.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ashleybrewer83 said:

We would certainly love to stay 5+ years.

That's a great plan, but I'd suggest living here for a while on cheaper visas before deciding whether to spring the 500K baht for an Elite visa.  Get the lay of the land, talk to others already doing what you plan to do (you'll have to make an effort to meet them), figure out whether it's what you'd hoped, and then make longer term arrangements with more knowledge than you have now.

Edit:  And if you're not married to the idea of Thailand, I'd suggest you investigate places 50 hours (round trip) closer to home.  That trip is brutal, and it doesn't get more fun when you've done it a lot.  I've been working in Thailand for 6 years and now that my assignment is finished (and I don't have to work financially, but not ready to retire mentally), I'm going to be looking seriously at Latin America to get closer to family in Texas.  Maybe even back to the Hill Country after 10 years in China and 6 in Thailand.  It's been a great adventure, but there's a lot missing...

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, tgeezer said:

An insight from a retiree who can afford to be smug because before I qualified for retirement twenty two years ago I had to fiddle the system very little yet still found it extremely irksome.

During a period of five years you want to stay in Thailand and return to the USA twice per year for a month each time. This will involve at least one stay of five months or more in Thailand. I don't think that there is any legal way to do this by simple tourism visas if you don't qualify for the over fifty long-stay visa. Doubtless you could take a chance and rely on circumventing the system by leaving the country and re-entering, certainly the two visits to the USA would give a legal means of kick starting the process without anguish but then what? I would go for the 'elite visa' since it would seem to have been devised for just such as you.

Logically 'not working' means not depriving a Thai citizen of work which, if what you do is carried on in cyberspace doesn't apply. The other aspect of work is deriving benifit from infrastructure and not contributing by way of tax, this should not be a problem as a tourist.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Work is defined in Thai law, not in the minds of TVF posters.

Depriving Thai citizens of work and benefitting from infrastructure are not a criterion.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1

Based in Thailand but not working here, not yet 50 I got the Elite about 3 years ago and do not regret it.

There is no feasible way for me to get tourist visas. I fly in almost every month and with all my possesions in a Chiang Mai condo I felt as if I had little choice. Read now some stories on this site of people with valid tourist visas turned back anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

15 minutes ago, Dipterocarp said:

Read now some stories on this site of people with valid tourist visas turned back anyway.

Only one report of this when the person entering had the required 20K Baht of cash or travelers checks, but many unfriendly reports of others who did get in.  We have no reports like this from Chang Mai airport, or from any land-borders other than the special Poipet/Aranyaprathet crossing.  But ...

27 minutes ago, Dipterocarp said:

I fly in almost every month and with all my possessions in a Chiang Mai condo I felt as if I had little choice.

If you must fly into a Bangkok airport frequently, and do not qualify for any type of Multiple-Entry visa (you'd need to go home for the METV), I can understand your thinking.  I consider the Elite the equivalent of a brown-envelope so fat, that it takes care of the highest echelons, thus carrying 100% legal status.  If one has 500K to spend for a visa - or better yet 1M for the 20-year offering, and they know they intend to stay here long-term, an Elite works well. 

But, if this couple only intends to enter Thailand 2x per year, and is returning home on those trips where they can get an METV easily, they might not need to take this route.  Consider how much "condo" or "fun" the cost of two Elite visas (for a couple) would buy - either here, or in a country where one does not need to make a large one-time cash-payment, for permission to spend money into that country's economy.   

@ashleybrewer83In addition to some "try out time" in Thailand, check out Malaysia's "My 2nd Home" program, The Philippines "money in the bank" options, Vietnam's 1-year Tourist Visa options for USA-citizens, and Cambodia's easy 1-year multiple-entry visa offerings (~$350 per year) - so you can make a fully-informed decision, with comparison to other offerings in the region.

• Like 2

Work is defined in Thai law, not in the minds of TVF posters.

Depriving Thai citizens of work and benefitting from infrastructure are not a criterion.

I am jolly glad that noone has to rely on my opinion on how work is defined in the context of section 4 article 37 of the Immigration Act and that you can enlighten us or at least point to the reverance in Thai Law. Meanwhile I shall attempt to google it.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Don't limit yourself to Thailand.  There are other countries in the region that are cheaper and hassle free. Thailand is xenophobic, rudderless and angry. Once the pixy dust wears off, you will find yourselves scratching your heads.  I would look at Vietnam or Malaysia as back up plans. 

having been extensively to other countries in the region, many times.... please tell me which ones are cheaper??

and Cambodia's easy 1-year multiple-entry visa offerings (~$350 per year)

first it WAS around $290 and that's finished as now under 55 ( where u can qualify for a retirement extension),  they are clamping down on long term visa's requiring  anyone staying more than 1 year, except those retired, to have a wp

Edited by phuketrichard

It appears to me that most, if not all of the above respondents are not American. Americans do not need a tourist visa and they treat you like a VIP at the airport when you arrive. Your US passport is stamped at the airport for a 30 day stay and you may extend that for 15 days at the immigration office nearest you. Most expats use land routes to Laos, Burma, etc. for new visas but I recommend flying to Kuala Lumpur and spending 2 or more days in Malaysia. Other nearby countries are great also. I don't know how many times a year you can do this, so be sure to look into this. Best bet is to connect with some American expats who do not work for a company that takes  care of immigration requirements. Regards and good  luck. 

Dave

Originally from NY but lived in LA for 28 years and 8 years in Jacksonville, FL. Also lived and worked in ten other countries for 2 years or more. 

Edited by Namrevlis
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

12 minutes ago, Namrevlis said:

Your US passport is stamped at the airport for a 30 day stay and you may extend that for 15 days at the immigration office nearest you.

You have long been able to get a 30-day extension of either a visa exempt entry, or a 60-day entry on a tourist visa.

Since late 2014, it has been unwise to rely on visa exempt entries for long term stays in Thailand.

9 hours ago, Dipterocarp said:

Based in Thailand but not working here, not yet 50 I got the Elite about 3 years ago and do not regret it.

There is no feasible way for me to get tourist visas. I fly in almost every month and with all my possesions in a Chiang Mai condo I felt as if I had little choice. Read now some stories on this site of people with valid tourist visas turned back anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

if you fly in nearly every month you don´t need any visa, and as you own a condo you have a reason to come to thailand, and no IMO would deny entry.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, JackThompson said:

@ashleybrewer83In addition to some "try out time" in Thailand, check out Malaysia's "My 2nd Home" program, The Philippines "money in the bank" options, Vietnam's 1-year Tourist Visa options for USA-citizens, and Cambodia's easy 1-year multiple-entry visa offerings (~$350 per year) - so you can make a fully-informed decision, with comparison to other offerings in the region.

Thank you. Yes, we are aware of the much easier options in other countries. We happen to just really enjoy and prefer Thailand, plus we have friends that currently live there (they are Belgian and have work visas.)

14 hours ago, csabo said:

How old you are exactly matters.  Why not just say it? 30? 45? 49?  All have a different best route so spill the beans already if you want accurate quick help.

I am 34 and my husband is 36.

All of this has been really great information and I appreciate everyone's comments and insights. I am thinking that we'll have to view it more as "living in SE Asia," trying to spend as much time as we can in Thailand the legal way, while also enjoying other neighboring countries as well. I was hoping for more of a "home base" type of scenario but it's looking fairly difficult with our situation.

Thanks again for all of the input. 

• Like 1