Is there any point renewing the drivers license from back home?

davidst01

1 hour ago, StevieAus said:

I spoke to the licensing dept in NSW recently as my Thai wife’s NSW licence is due to expire.

They advised that you have up to 5 years to renew from the expiry date but of course cannot use in the meantime

I have been considering whether to renew mine as you can use a Thai licence in Aus but officially need a IDP from Thailand which is easy to get

I understand though that as far as the police are concerned as long as the details on the licence are in English that’s all they are concerned about.

As a matter of interest we have our licenses registered at a friends address in Sydney has never been a problem

I think you will find an IDP is not required for a Thai license, an IDP is only required if a foreign license is not in English.

Driving in NSW with a foreign licence is allowed if you meet all the following conditions below:

• You are a temporary overseas visitor (tourists, people with working visa, people on a temporary business trip, people visiting friends or relatives)
  • Your foreign licence or driver permit is current and valid
  • Your foreign licence is in English, otherwise, you must carry an English translation of your licence or your International Driving Permit
  • You have not been given a suspension or disqualification to drive in NSW or somewhere else

https://www.driverknowledgetests.com/learners-permit/driving-on-a-foreign-licence-in-australia.php

Other states say similar

Edited by Peterw42

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 19/11/2017 at 7:07 PM, ukrules said:

You should renew it one way or another. In the UK this is easy as it's all done via the post, I guess it must be different down under.

If you don't renew it and do nothing for a few years and then at some point you return to Australia you will revert to being a learner driver again won't you ?

Not quite true.  Over 65's can do it online by registering with DVLT.  I am going through my second renewal.

7 hours ago, Jangot said:

Interesting topic, one I have given some thought to.

I left UK permanently in 1982.  I have kept my UKDL registered address at my sister's address.  I did that when the licence changed from a booklet style to the computer print style. I have never applied for the photo licence as there is no requirement to do so.

Now my UKDL will expire next year on my 70th birthday.  I could re-apply (need to state nil medical problem that would affect driving) but I would have to make the clear, written and incorrect, statement that I reside at my sister's address in UK.

Now that would certainly work, and I would get my licence renewed. 

Until I had an accident.  Then all would be revealed and I would probably be deemed as driving unlicensed so my insurance would probably be invalidated and all would go into the cess pit in short order.

I won't be renewing my UKDL!

(I do resent this as I cannot see why, as a UK citzen, renewing my UK driving licence should be dependant upon me being resident).

True and if your insurance company denied coverage which they would, and you could not or would not pay then your sister would be sued for being complicit and participating in the fraudulent address.  Don’t attack the messenger and  a jury may or may not let her go because she is your sister. But she would be sued and threatened and have to pay a lawyer to defend her.  

Not a good idea long term to use another’s address as your own. Ok for a while as you may return but after say 5 years or so can you truly say under oath that you live at the relatives address and get away with it? 

Or maybe you have a happy marriage until you don’t. You want your soon to be exwife taking your relatives deposition and your deposition about your fraudulent address. Up to you but exwives lawyers can be vicious to you and your family. 

11 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

If you reside at more than one address, one of which is in the UK, it's not a lie.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You can split hairs all day - if you are non resident and  live in Thailand you cannot legally renew. I do not care that you do. You will have to lie on the form.

You can split hairs all day - if you are non resident and  live in Thailand you cannot legally renew. I do not care that you do. You will have to lie on the form.

I'm resident in the UK for tax purposes, so although I'm currently working in Thailand, I think I'm fine. But thanks for your concern.

Indeed. They are getting much smarter at cross referencing all the government departmental data bases.

If you claim a UK address with the DLVC to renew a license and are registered as non resident with HMRC for tax, you might raise a flag somewhere!

I’ve been non resident since ‘95 , claimed my tax back every year and retained my uk DL with my fathers address which I also use for my bank account and some savings bonds and pension avc’s etc.
Never had a problem.
I realise it’s probably not politically correct but since I’m not classified as a permanent resident in LOS then I figure I’m entitled to this as I’ve paid my stamp ( National Insurance ) all this time.

Brewsterbudgeon - re post 35.  I would humbly suggest to verify and use the UK government aka DVLA definition of 'reside' before making the statement on the application.

I stay at my sister's house for approximately one week every year, so it would certainly not work for me!

I’ve been non resident since ‘95 , claimed my tax back every year and retained my uk DL with my fathers address which I also use for my bank account and some savings bonds and pension avc’s etc.
Never had a problem.
I realise it’s probably not politically correct but since I’m not classified as a permanent resident in LOS then I figure I’m entitled to this as I’ve paid my stamp ( National Insurance ) all this time.

You're not the only one! The day I stop working in Thailand is the day I have to return to the UK, as my right to stay here is entirely dependent on my job/work permit.

Never had a problem.

You're not the only one! The day I stop working in Thailand is the day I have to return to the UK, as my right to stay here is entirely dependent on my job/work permit.

Never had a problem.

My UK licence has already been renewed so it's not an issue for me unless I'm still working in Thailand in 2025.

28 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Never had a problem.

Of course you can. I am just saying that you and all the others are lying on the form.

On 11/19/2017 at 7:07 PM, ukrules said:

You should renew it one way or another. In the UK this is easy as it's all done via the post, I guess it must be different down under.

If you don't renew it and do nothing for a few years and then at some point you return to Australia you will revert to being a learner driver again won't you ?

To renew in the UK I think you need a UK address.

But it is simple enough to do online.

:thumbsup:

14 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I think you will find an IDP is not required for a Thai license, an IDP is only required if a foreign license is not in English.

Driving in NSW with a foreign licence is allowed if you meet all the following conditions below:

• You are a temporary overseas visitor (tourists, people with working visa, people on a temporary business trip, people visiting friends or relatives)
  • Your foreign licence is in English, otherwise, you must carry an English translation of your licence or your International Driving Permit
  • You have not been given a suspension or disqualification to drive in NSW or somewhere else

https://www.driverknowledgetests.com/learners-permit/driving-on-a-foreign-licence-in-australia.php

Other states say similar

Thanks for your information as my renewal is coming up. I would like to retain an Aus license if only for the purpose of identification for other matters. Mine is a little more complicated as it is a NT license but need to change to NSW using my sister's address.

On 11/20/2017 at 6:30 PM, Peterw42 said:

Other states say similar

More than happy to stand corrected on this point but wonder if the people making the decisions consider the difference in the standards required for obtaining a Thai/ Australian licence.

More than happy to stand corrected on this point but wonder if the people making the decisions consider the difference in the standards required for obtaining a Thai/ Australian licence.

How would they know? A Thai driving licence is sufficient to drive in the UK, USA or Australia as it is in English.

18 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

I see your point but it comes down to most countries are signatories to the international treaties and agreements, and except each others valid licenses.

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

I see your point but it comes down to most countries are signatories to the international treaties and agreements, and except each others valid licenses.

Yes I suppose so and I don’t think there are too many Thai visitors driving around Australia.

On another point and again I am probably out of date but I recall looking at the NSW Site a couple of years ago and it stated that if you held or were eligible to or hold a NSW licence you couldn’t use a licence from another country I don’t know if that still applies but as a matter of interest when I get five minutes to spare will have a look, although when visiting Australia in the past have always relied on my Aus licence.

16 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

How would they know? A Thai driving licence is sufficient to drive in the UK, USA or Australia as it is in English.

See the post by Peterw42 he answers the question my point was the huge difference between what is required in Aus to obtain a licence and here in Thailand

And this isn’t Thai bashing its reality

23 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

Yes I suppose so and I don’t think there are too many Thai visitors driving around Australia.

On another point and again I am probably out of date but I recall looking at the NSW Site a couple of years ago and it stated that if you held or were eligible to or hold a NSW licence you couldn’t use a licence from another country I don’t know if that still applies but as a matter of interest when I get five minutes to spare will have a look, although when visiting Australia in the past have always relied on my Aus licence.

Yes, I think that it still the case, if you hold an oz license, they sort of cover it in the definition of visitor (no oz license). Makes sense as otherwise you could pick and choose which license if you got a fine etc. I often go back to oz with both licenses in my pocket but aware that I am on the Oz license. The same back in Thailand, you cant have a Thai license and argue that you are driving on your oz license.

There is always a time limit driving on a foreign license, 3-6 months, then you are required to get a local one and your home one is no longer accepted.

Edited by Peterw42

See the post by Peterw42 he answers the question my point was the huge difference between what is required in Aus to obtain a licence and here in Thailand
And this isn’t Thai bashing its reality

I agree. The difference in driving standards required for a licence is immense. But, as someone has already pointed out, international convention means other licences are accepted. I've often wondered how they cope with a British mini-roundabout or a Californian 4-way Stop.

I agree. The difference in driving standards required for a licence is immense. But, as someone has already pointed out, international convention means other licences are accepted. I've often wondered how they cope with a British mini-roundabout or a Californian 4-way Stop.

Same as over here............ badly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 19/11/2017 at 7:28 PM, Peterw42 said:

You woudnt need to pass the test, you can convert a thai license to an oz license with no test. 

Depending on the state I think your current license sits in limbo if not paid, you dont loose it. I returned to NSW after living interstate for 10 years, photo and payment and got license back, even the same license number.

Not in Queensland you can't.  The wife had to get a learners permit and start from scratch.  Still hasn't got her license yet.  No real surprise there though.

• 2 weeks later...

Now for you Aussies that have a NSW Lisc & are planning to Renew

Good news & bad news especially if you over 45

I need to renew mine soon, & have just been on the Motor Registry site 

* You can only do online once (I guess they have the ability to check ) - That rules me out

** It is not about a photo as they have the ability to allow for that in the online kits they provide

* Now for the bad - It's as goo as no hope if you are over 45 since it says that you have to have an eye test (at branch in person ) - That rules me out

This is for a 5 yr Lisc since due to the eye test you can only get a 10 yr Lisc if your between 21 -44 yrs old

So looks like I shall have to drop by to visit family next time I can get a job