Excise police visited GF and want repayment of 'first time car buyer' payout

petesc55

9 hours ago, petesc55 said:

She wasn't married to the farang who died.     

As far as I know, she wasn't a bargirl.   Married out of university, 3 kids, divorced 15 years later when her thai husband found a new GF, and has to scramble at various jobs since then, mostly working in nursing home or private care.

I've just seen the full copies of the document they brought to her house and they look legit.

What pisses me off is she admits she knew about this 3 years ago before we met.    Never mentioned a word about it.

Walk away now!! Or you will be sucked dry in the future.. been there done that! T.I.T

8 hours ago, petesc55 said:

Well, I thought I hit the jackpot when I found a cute, funny lady who had a job, and a paid for house.

I suspected her forte wasn't financial planning before this.

:)

You thought you hit the jackpot and she thought she hit the jackpot. Probably neither of you did. 

I like the lady, but that doesn't mean I won't walk away.

The video is very short, 3 seconds, and the only thing I hear the cop say is '......khap'.

She was getting ready to go to a funeral in the village when they showed up.   She says they came to the village  and asked around to see where she lived, and if alive.   The helpful villagers pointed the way and explained she had a farang BF.

Unless something shows up in thai language in google, I haven't found anything that describes the legal process.

She goes to the regional excise office for the meeting or hearing tomorrow.

The interest payment has to be paid by the end of december, and the monthly payments start in January.

The only thing I could suggest is she act apologetic and humble, and ask for the initial interest payment to be reduced.  (if posssible)

She has a fighting chance at paying the 2000 b a month.(but i know she's always late on her motorbike payment)

She's willing to give up her little business which doesn't really support her, and go back to work in the city to pay this off.

Thats going to have to happen, whether or not I continue seeing her.

excise2.jpg

As I see it you have three  choices. You can just sit back and watch how it all plays out. Number two. You could just walk away and say bye-bye. Or you could give her some money to help her out. But the question I would ask myself is, why do I have any responsibility in this at all?

As they say here, "Up to you."

3 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

Good time for her to find out who her true friends are, the ones that help when things turn to crap rather than the blowflies that hang around just for the good times.

That's a lot of money to repay to her friends with the best will in the world.

6 hours ago, realenglish1 said:

Although she may be required to repay you need documentation with regard to this

As for her going to jail This is total nonsense There is no debtors jail in Thailand This is a civil matter and as such is civil not criminal

She either does not know or is lying to you either way she is not going to jail

Sorry to say, but you are wrong about this. I know a person who was in jail because a case like that.

9 hours ago, petesc55 said:

No responsibility.

I'm not that familiar with Thailand, but have more experience with other SE asian countries and ladies.

I won't get bled dry, just bruised and a little anemic.

:sleepy:

So you have known her for a short time only. A few visits of 2 weeks each. Now she feels she can ask you for a large sum of money and is absolutely ok with that. (red flag). She is 55 and has 0 concept of responsibility and that she can't pay the money she borrowed. Lastly she can't even make the payments on a scooter? Do these things not see OBVIOUS? Not saying it's a scam but man she comes with a ton of baggage. Better to go find another honestly.

2 minutes ago, petesc55 said:

The brother (who is a good guy) is involved now.  He's at least offering advice, and contacted the excise officer.

She now knows she won't go to prison.

Finding another is easy.   I'll let this play out for a few days.     

Good luck to ya bud. I hope it works out one way or the other with out too much drama.

13 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

To be fair on her it sounds like she reacted like many people who are in financial distress and can't find the money, they stick their head in the sand and hope the problem goes away. Hopefully she can come to a resolution with the government department and pay down the debt. Good time for her to find out who her true friends are, the ones that help when things turn to crap rather than the blowflies that hang around just for the good times.

That pretty well sums it up & there's a dam lot of them just juggling money between each other with a promise attached or that we will give thin air as there is nothing in black & white

If you are looking for confirmation to dump the lady, you have certainly come to the right place. There are a lot of bitter posters who have been played by a bargirl and hate to see anyone here succeed in a relationship. I can't stress this enough.

If you only want relationships that don't involve any financial commitment on your part, then you can flit from one to another as you please.

I suspect you have a conscience, that you have found a good lady (by your own admission) and your instincts are telling you to help out financially. I think your long-term interests might be best served if you worked with her and the brother to get the payments reduced and offer financial help. If you don't want a long-term relationship, then why have you even started this thread? Sometimes you need to trust your instincts above the advice of deeply embittered strangers.

Good luck whatever you do.

You mentioned that she has a house. If she actually owns it, she could get a mortgage to pay off the debt. You could offer to pay the repayments (should only be 2-3,000 baht a month), that will give you time to decide. If she says she cannot do this, maybe she doesn't own the house, or has mortgaged it already ...... expect more debts to crop up if you pay this one off.