Accident Insurance Policy

anon467848

Given the increased daily carnage on the Thai roads I want to get adequate insurance when riding on my motorbike. My policy with Thai BUPA insurance is coming up for renewal, so I'm looking for an alternative insurer that will cover me in the event of a serious motorbike accident. BUPA accident coverage is only 100,000 baht (50,000) for a motorbike accident.

Thanks in advance....:wai:

Depends on your home country.  As a US Citizen, your home country is always the US, even if you live here year around, with Tokio Marine.  They will deliver a card electronically and to your address here.  I am covered for motorbike...1 million USD.  I doubt they would pay if drunk or doing illegal activities.  Allianz seems to be more geared to Europeans, but better look carefully at moto coverage.  My agent is WWW.INSUBUY.COM in Texas....if you go direct to WWW.HCC.COM, the price is the same and they will assign you an agent.  (Tokio Marine now owns Houston Casualty Company, HCC).

My card has three different logos on it :  First Health (Aetna), Medical Management Program Inc., and Equian (international provider network).  They paid RAM direct a few years ago, before I left.

Edited by BuddyDean

1 minute ago, merlin2002 said:

Thanks Buddy, but I'm from the UK.... cheers Nick I'll check out AXA. I have my car insurance through them so could get a further bonus....

You are welcome.  It might he fairly important as to whether or not you are still covered by NHS....and if so, a treatment and evacuation plan might give you better cover for less, as opposed the maxing out even a million THB Thai policy, then needing a very expensive evacuation for long term treatment.  I know cost are about a fifth, here, but limits can be 1/100th.  A lot of teachers think they are covered by their employers, but if they actually looked at their po!icies it is almost a joke.  Sure, they didn't have to pay for three stitches, but that is really not a good way to buy and use insurance.

I have had AXA Personal Accident policy for years (bought for when I’m on my scooter - luckily never used it)... 125,000k for any accident and that doubles to 250,000 if I have a motorcycle accident... And 500,000 of life insurance for 4,200 a year... I know it might not cover everything but at least the first 250k plus I have a card to show at the hospital so a assume they will be more eager to admit me ;-)... the policy was written by AA Insurance Brokers

btw I can not get regular health insurance here because of pre existing conditions or I would have got that... 

Edited by sfokevin

1 minute ago, sfokevin said:

I have had AXA Personal Accident policy for years (bought for when I’m on my scooter - luckily never used it)... 125,000k for any accident and that doubles to 250,000 if I have a motorcycle accident... And 500,000 of life insurance for 4,200 a year... I know it might not cover everything but at least the first 250k plus I have a card to show at the hospital so a assume they will be more eager to admit me ;-)... the policy was written by AA Insurance Brokers

That is similar to what Bangkok Bank will gladly sell you.  A lot better than nothing, but no real protection for a serious "XZDAN.". 

I wonder if you are confusing the death and dismemberment BUPA limits on motorcycle injuries with the medical benefits?  Medical benefits are the same  for motorcycle accidents as for any other accident I believe. They are only limited by the amount of coverage the policy offers. Maybe I'm wrong though?

Edited by ricklev

On 11/21/2017 at 5:52 PM, scubascuba3 said:

The best one I've found so far with the highest coverage of 625,000 baht per accident medical cover is PA Siam Protect 1. Seems difficult to find them 1m baht20171009_150309.jpg

Not sure how long you had this

I was not ablr to find after many links checked on the web

Can you provide a Web Link !!

Plus any cover is better than nothing

As many of us can not get Medical Insurance

AA Brokers gave it to me a month ago, they are close to Big C Extra Pattaya Tai.

26 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
1 hour ago, Lizard2010 said:

AA Brokers gave it to me a month ago, they are close to Big C Extra Pattaya Tai.

Thank You

We've been using world Nomads for years, an annual travel insurance with medivac back to Australia if necessary.  We still legally live in Australia as we're not in any one country long enough to be classed as resident and by international convention you have to be a resident of a country because of tax evasion, so our price is based on that, not sure what the premiums would be if you live in Thailand, but there again it doesn't seem to cover the country you live in.  If you 'live' in UK it would be suitable. 12 month policy, everywhere in world except USA, includes motorbikes (you have to be very careful with that one, most policies from UK specifically exclude riding or being a passenger on a motorbike, not so with Australian policies). 

I think we pay about AU$1300/year but we get a very good discount because we've been with them for so long. Seems like a lot, but covers you for all sorts of things.  We used to have a basic backpacker policy for medical/medivac only with another company but it expired while we were out of the country - you had to be physically in Australia when you applied for the policy, never figured out why. World Nomads was the only one I found at the time where you could be outside the country, but that was about 6 years ago and it may have changed.  Watch out for that motorbike exclusion though.