Que for Ozzies in Thailand. Do you think the THB/AUD will go down?

davidst01

I'm worried about being in the same situation as the Brit's with their poor exchange rate. 

I just read this article re an Investment banks opinion

http://www.smh.com.au/business/markets/currencies/australian-dollar-to-slide-to-65-us-cents-in-2019-says-morgan-stanley-20171120-gzpeev.html

If it slides to 65c  does it mean that when we send money over to Thailand we get less. 

Is it best to send wads of money over here now just in case whilst the rate is good?

thanks

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go to the XE website and decide for yourself. The current rate is much lower than the average over the last few years but could keep going down. I am waiting for it to go back nearer 27 before bringing more funds over, but that is only a hope.

http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=1&From=AUD&To=THB

1 hour ago, stigar said:

Every foreign curency is getting wery week against THB now..whats going on over there

I haven't got a crystal ball but a few things... Thailand exports have been growing better than expected.. one of the best performers in SE Asia.. attracting investment,, also a lot of money coming into the country for big ticket items.. fast rail etc... Australia's economy is stagnant.. at best.. probably going backwards.. jobs created but part time not full time.. instability in the ratshit LNP government doesn't help.. uncertainty in the switch to renewable energy is slowing growth in that area.. manufacturing continues to go off shore...  Brexit is a drag on the UK... uncertainty in Germany is now a worry.. for a long time the most stable economy in Europe.. in spite of Trump the US is showing some growth..  Have I missed anything?

2 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Grabbing the bull by the horns, when will the Aussie $ go up?

Silly question

A wild guess.. when Labor gets back into government and stimulates the economy.. sorts out some of the f**** ups the LNP has created .. creates some certainty in transition to renewable energy.. and tackles economic policy rather the the soap opera that the LNP have been pursuing... Australia needs leadership on the economy instead of fighting over gay marriage and spreading fear of immigrants .. the neo-liberals need to be killed and cremated for the sake of progress.. the whole trickle down philosophy has been totally discredited.. time to move on.. could happen sooner than later... maybe..

Just now, InMyShadow said:
3 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:
I'm hoping the ass falls out of the Aussie dollar, then i can transfer money to Australia 

me to, I would put my BKK condo on the market even at much discounted price and make a killing on exchange rate

Yeah I can only see an upside to a weak Aussie dollar, unless you are bringing it in. Weak aussie dollar and rising interest rates would suit me fine

I had a look into this yesterday, as I needed to move some money here, and had to decide to do it now, or wait a few weeks.  I did it today because ....

Despite Australia having reasonable good recent economic data, the decision by the Reserve Bank two weeks ago to keep interest rates on hold, while about a dozen major economies have recently raised theirs, has resulted in money moving out of Australia into countries where the interest rates are high, and thus greater returns.

As the Reserve Bank earlier this month indicated that interest rates will probably remain on hold at least into 2018, as long as other major economies are raising interest rates, the A$ will continue to go down, ceteris paribus.

5 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

2019 is a fair way off, there could be a couple of GFCs, a couple of Nuclear conflicts, and a B grade reality TV star could be sacked as the leader of America between now and then.

Are you kidding me?

a B grade star?... tell me it ain’t so.

Surely theres a lot more letters between A and Z that might be more appropriate

Edited by farcanell

6 hours ago, steven100 said:

Not worth worrying about ....  you can't change it and it certainly not worth sending thousands of dollars just to get in any earlier.

AUD $1   =   24.80      :shock1:

MINUS what the Bank takes in fees, which can sometimes be as high as 0.9 baht...:bah:

2 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

I'm hoping the ass falls out of the Aussie dollar, then i can transfer money to Australia 

Dont transfer....exchange it somewhere first and put it in your pocket. Declare it when you get home....you will make a lot more than these Banks here will give you in exchange rate and charges....

The AUD does seem to be weakening. That's due to Reserve Bank policy, it wants a weak dollar so exports are cheaper and imports become dearer. We are just collateral damage.

Historically, the lowest it has ever been was 21 baht to the dollar during the GFC. There's been times it was above 30.

As long as it's not too far from 25, I'm not worrying about it.

2 hours ago, Laza 45 said:

A wild guess.. when Labor gets back into government and stimulates the economy.. sorts out some of the f**** ups the LNP has created .. creates some certainty in transition to renewable energy.. and tackles economic policy rather the the soap opera that the LNP have been pursuing... Australia needs leadership on the economy instead of fighting over gay marriage and spreading fear of immigrants .. the neo-liberals need to be killed and cremated for the sake of progress.. the whole trickle down philosophy has been totally discredited.. time to move on.. could happen sooner than later... maybe..

Whilst I agree the Libs and particularly Turnbull are useless I haven’t forgotten the mess created by the Rudd/ Gillard / Swan team I believe the deficit they created in part has caused the drop in the Aus dollar they spend as if there is no tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

Whilst I agree the Libs and particularly Turnbull are useless I haven’t forgotten the mess created by the Rudd/ Gillard / Swan team I believe the deficit they created in part has caused the drop in the Aus dollar they spend as if there is no tomorrow.

There's belief, and there's fact. The exchange rate during the Rudd/Gillard/Swan years was actually much better than it is now, and started tanking when Abbott got in.

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=AUD&to=THB&view=10Y

Don't believe anything from Morgan Stanley. They are always trashing the Australian dollar because they can make big money if it goes down. These big firms are forever trying to spook the market to advantage their own investments.

Edited by Stevemercer

7 hours ago, steven100 said:

Actually the AUD $ is 75.35 US$   and looking for a correction anyday now.

I'm seeing a .75 - .76  over the next month.

and AUD$   26  -  27  vs   THB

The AUD was 79 and actually hit 80 to the US dollar about 2 months ago and all you got was high 25 baht and low 26 baht. I would love to see it but I do not believe it will happen