Iranian president declares end to Islamic State

webfact

Iranian president declares end to Islamic State

By Babak Dehghanpisheh

tag_reuters.jpg

FILE PHOTO - Iran's President Hassan Rouhani delivers remarks at a news conference during the United Nations General Assembly in New York City, U.S. September 20, 2017. REUTERS/Stephanie Keith/File Photo

BEIRUT (Reuters) - Iranian President Hassan Rouhani declared the end of Islamic State on Tuesday in an address broadcast live on state TV.

A senior commander of Iran's Revolutionary Guards, Major General Qassem Soleimani, also declared the end of Islamic State in a message sent to the country’s supreme leader Tuesday which was published on Sepah News, the news site of the Guards.

Videos and pictures of Soleimani, who commands the Quds Force, the branch of the Guards responsible for operations outside of Iran’s borders, at frontline positions in battles against Islamic State in Iraq and Syria have been posted frequently by Iranian media in recent years.

Last week, Iranian media published pictures of Soleimani at Albu Kamal in eastern Syria, a town which Soleimani said Tuesday was the last territory retaken from Islamic State control in the region.

The Revolutionary Guards, Iran's most powerful military force which also oversees an economic empire worth billions of dollars, has been fighting in support of Syrian president Bashar al-Assad and the central government in Baghdad for several years.

More than a thousand members of the Guards, including senior commanders, have been killed in Syria and Iraq.

(Reporting By Babak Dehghanpisheh; Editing by Matthew Mpoke Bigg)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-11-21

1 hour ago, canopus1969 said:

A shame we cannot declare the end of Iran  :bah:

For all their faults they were out there killing ISIS for real, as opposed to other countries pretending to despite covertly helping them. I just can't see any justification for sicking animals like ISIS to reign havoc on any civilian population.

2 hours ago, Rancid said:

For all their faults they were out there killing ISIS for real, as opposed to other countries pretending to despite covertly helping them. I just can't see any justification for sicking animals like ISIS to reign havoc on any civilian population.

ISIS is far from coming to an end. More propaganda from Iran and you bought it.

34 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

ISIS is far from coming to an end. More propaganda from Iran and you bought it.

Do you mean that every other military force in Syria and Iraq were killing and removing ISIS except teh Iranians?

I thought that you were smarter than that.

7 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Do you mean that every other military force in Syria and Iraq were killing and removing ISIS except teh Iranians?

I thought that you were smarter than that.

I thought you were smarter than to make a post like that.

59 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

I thought you were smarter than to make a post like that.

At least I read, watch and listen before I make my mind up.

You seem to have a bias against Iran and believe whatever they do or say is wrong.

Guest Jerry787

ISIS is sponsored by Saudia, Saudia buy arms from

7 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

A shame we cannot declare the end of Iran  :bah:

a shame we can not end the dirty trade :
- ISIS is sponsored by Saudi Arabia
- Saudi Arabia buy arms from USA and Europe and Israel,
- those arms are supplied to ISIS,
- Iran fight ISIS, 

what a shame, what you wrote ?

Edited by Jerry787
typos

It's like Bush Jr claiming victory in Iraq, years before the conflict ended (it's still going on, isn't it?).

IS has suffered defeats recently, but there are still stragglers in the desert.  Even if defeated, there are still tens of thousands of angry young men who will be eager to attach to the most mean-spirited faction of a mean-spirited belief system.   It's on-going.

You can kill a snake in your back yard, but that doesn't kill every snake in the region.

10 hours ago, billd766 said:

At least I read, watch and listen before I make my mind up.

You seem to have a bias against Iran and believe whatever they do or say is wrong.

So you are saying you support all that Iran does. It does nothing wrong as a nation and what it's leaders say is always truthful?

P.S. a good portion of Syria isn't even under control of Assad and his partners. The Kurds are doing a pretty good job of fighting ISIS also.

If I may be allowed to bring this thread back on topic, while the Iranian president may be correct that ISIS are wiped out in Syria, there are hundreds of ISIS fighters in Stockholm, Malmo, Brussells, Paris, Birmingham, Bradford, Barcelona, Marseilles etc etc to include every large Western European city. They were attracted there by the preferential treatment ISIS fighter are given in terms of welfare payments and free accomodation. So its all good, what could possibly go wrong?

9 hours ago, Jerry787 said:

- Iran fight ISIS, 

Saudi Arabia just bought a bunch of weapons from Russia also. It's not just Iran who's fighting ISIS. Assad collaborated with ISIS before his civil war.

24 minutes ago, FreddieRoyle said:

If I may be allowed to bring this thread back on topic, while the Iranian president may be correct that ISIS are wiped out in Syria, there are hundreds of ISIS fighters in Stockholm, Malmo, Brussells, Paris, Birmingham, Bradford, Barcelona, Marseilles etc etc to include every large Western European city. They were attracted there by the preferential treatment ISIS fighter are given in terms of welfare payments and free accomodation. So its all good, what could possibly go wrong?

perhaps 'ISIS sympathizers' or 'ISIS-wannabes' or 'Future ISIS-like combatants'  ....would be a bit more accurate.  Ok, maybe I'm splitting hairs, but it's spooky to think Europe allowed ISIS to flood in.

26 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Saudi Arabia just bought a bunch of weapons from Russia also. It's not just Iran who's fighting ISIS. Assad collaborated with ISIS before his civil war.

...and ISIS were selling oil from their commandeered properties - to finance their reign of terror.  Who was buying that oil?   It's akin to buying 'blood diamonds.'

1 hour ago, boomerangutang said:

...and ISIS were selling oil from their commandeered properties - to finance their reign of terror.  Who was buying that oil?   It's akin to buying 'blood diamonds.'

The Assad regime, oil smugglers, including Kurds, you know the usual criminally corrupt groups

3 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

So you are saying you support all that Iran does. It does nothing wrong as a nation and what it's leaders say is always truthful?

P.S. a good portion of Syria isn't even under control of Assad and his partners. The Kurds are doing a pretty good job of fighting ISIS also.

Where did I say that?

I said nothing about Iran but merely pointed out that you are totally biased against it.

Do you believe that Syria does nothing wrong as a nation and what its leaeders say is always truthful? Or for that matter I could ask the same about the USA, Russia, Turkey, even my own country the UK but I try not to have a blanket bias against any of them.

PS the Kurds are also fighting against Turkey and have been for nearly a hundred years.

Not everything that Iran does or says is OK but compared to many countries they are a paragon of virtue.

48 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Where did I say that?

I said nothing about Iran but merely pointed out that you are totally biased against it.

Do you believe that Syria does nothing wrong as a nation and what its leaeders say is always truthful? Or for that matter I could ask the same about the USA, Russia, Turkey, even my own country the UK but I try not to have a blanket bias against any of them.

PS the Kurds are also fighting against Turkey and have been for nearly a hundred years.

Not everything that Iran does or says is OK but compared to many countries they are a paragon of virtue.

Yup. I'm biased against countries that export terrorism. That would be Saudi Arabia and Iran. I'm also against countries with leaders that bomb their own citizens and use chemical weapons against them. That would be Syria.

Iran ia a paragon of virtue?  My gosh.:cheesy:

15 hours ago, Jerry787 said:

- Iran fight ISIS, 

I don't think there's a whole lot of credible support for Saudi Arabia sponsoring ISIS. Other extremist Sunni outfits, yes. Saudi Arabia buys arms from many countries (recently Russia), but as far as I'm aware, Israel is not one of its major suppliers. As for these arms specifically being supplied to ISIS - again, not much to go on there.

Obviously no mentions of USA and allies fighting ISIS as well, can't have that interfering with the neat little conspiracy nonsense.