Broke American Man Complains He Can’t Afford Dowry For Young Thai Girlfriend

webfact

2 hours ago, AboutThaim said:

So in your midguided opinion every white foreigner that comes to live in Thailand and is not loaded is “trash”?  Get a grip and pull yourself together ( not to death!).  Many people have circumstances that leave them without a huge stash of cash through bad luck or costly divorces.  Not what I would call trash.

Must have hit a nerve. :ph34r:

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, daftdada said:

3/10 ? 

The gal is beautiful. Stop being jealous.

Hahahahahahaha

Jealous??

Don't be ridiculous.

She's distinctly bread and butter (mostly butter by the looks of things)

Probably looks great to anyone whose been banging 200lb-plus trouts his whole life but some of us haven't been.

Dowries are an old tradition. Being that the woman is or was a bar girl , chances are her

family is not rich either. If this American cannot afford at least a couple hundred dollars

US, he is too cheap to marry her. My friend paid 10 ,baht on his wedding day.

One day later he got most of it back, it was to show the Thais attending the wedding,

that the Farang husband was not a broke person.

Geezer

1 minute ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Dowries are an old tradition. Being that the woman is or was a bar girl , chances are her

family is not rich either. If this American cannot afford at least a couple hundred dollars

US, he is too cheap to marry her. My friend paid 10 ,baht on his wedding day.

One day later he got most of it back, it was to show the Thais attending the wedding,

that the Farang husband was not a broke person.

Geezer

Well it be cheaper giving 10,000 Baht for dowry that supplying beer for those freeloading Thais that will be at the wedding and most of them are not even invited

I don't understand the hostility towards the woman.

There's a perception among farangs that they're somehow entitled to a woman's genuine love.

It's almost as if they see Thailand as the one place in the world where, no mater how fat, ugly, hapless, clueless, potless, how difficult a man you are, there will be a young woman who will genuinely love you as is.

Wrong.

You have to bring something to the table and this guy arrives with absolutely nothing but his white skin.

That doesn't cut it - yes, it opens the door but it don't keep you in the room

Frankly, he'd have better luck finding someone genuine back in America.

6 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

There's a perception among farangs that they're somehow entitled to a woman's genuine love.

It's almost as if they see Thailand as the one place in the world where, no mater how fat, ugly, hapless, clueless, potless, how difficult a man you are, there will be a young woman who will genuinely love you as is.

Wrong.

You have to bring something to the table and this guy arrives with absolutely nothing but his white skin.

At least he's not a nonce.

Wrong.

I get it but even within that realistic context there's something particularly unpleasant about the attitude of the lady in the story. Yes she should bolt but she should have done that already.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

10 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I get it but even within that realistic context there's something particularly unpleasant about the attitude of the lady in the story. Yes she should bolt but she should have done that already.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yeah I agree it's a bit mercenary but I suspect it would be a lot different if the guy was young, good-looking with a job capable of supporting the normal life she clearly wants.

There has to be some sort of compensation for taking on the guy in the story.

He's a train wreck - from her point of view she sees a life of hardship ahead if she marries this fool so she's happy to let it be known that she'll leg it at the first opportunity.

21 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

'There, he met Annie, a 24-year-old bar singer who would soon be his fiancée.''

Explains her good English , must have ripped off a lot of Americans in the past . She even speaks sometimes with an "accent". 

If he dont have money best he forget about her because its just going to a be a nightmare with constant pressure from she to send money back home to mama an dada for every excuse in the book , (oldest game in the Thai manual to play the daughter for every baht they can get) well <deleted> that shat!

Married to my lady for 15 yrs now and we seen all the Thai culture we could handle so we cut it all out including the Thai family up in <deleted> isaan.

Ahhh life is now bliss.

12 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

But you probably came to Thailand as a young hunsum man....Poor Dave on the other hand had to endure the misfortune of living in USA.

hey ...... i represent that ... deeply     

David Toborowsky is not jobless , he works in Kentucky as Health Policy Advisor at Commonwealth of Kentucky.

linkedin.com/in/david-toborowsky-513b554

https://realityblurb.com/2017/11/06/90-day-fiance-chris-and-nikki-respond-to-backlash-thai-massage-request-to-annie/

This is just a reality TV show and I am sure David can afford whatever happens next . 

Maybe it's just me.... But I can never take this Thai women serious..... Some men really need to slow down and be honest with themselves and look at what these girls are actually offering.. which really isn't much...  you got to give up 7000 USD for a Thai chick up front for her... and then drop another few 100,000 baht to her family.... Give me a <deleted> break.... This Chubby <deleted!> was selling pussy in Bangkok somewhere before you meet her... 

I think he should have spent a bit more time looking around for Thai ladies before he proposed. Try a few of the dating sites and get to know a lady before you arrive. At least if they can write and send e mails they have some skills.A lady around his age would also be a lot more suitable. I'm not sure if the young lady has children or wants them. Its possible that he doesn't as he has a tribe already.May have even had the snip? The warning sign was also there in the form of tattoos!!! All this is common sense but as we all know this is often left behind in our home countries or when besotted and in lust/love!!!

3 hours ago, black5569 said:

Maybe it's just me.... But I can never take this Thai women serious..... Some men really need to slow down and be honest with themselves and look at what these girls are actually offering.. which really isn't much...  you got to give up 7000 USD for a Thai chick up front for her... and then drop another few 100,000 baht to her family.... Give me a <deleted> break.... This Chubby <deleted!> was selling pussy in Bangkok somewhere before you meet her... 

Isn't it just another soap opera? 

2 hours ago, Jools said:

Western men who pay dowries are falling for the biggest Thai scam of all time. Sinsod is for suckers.

Hardly a scam.  Not only is it a longstanding part of the culture here, treatment of sinsod is covered in the Thai Civil and Commercial Code (cynics - insert joke about laws in Thailand here).  It is not just a payment made by unsuspecting foreign grooms to bloodsucking upcountry in-laws, but at every level of socioeconomic status here.  What you'll often find, however, is a presentation of sinsod made for all to see as a matter of saving face for the in-laws, with the money then returned to the groom (and new wife) after the ceremony. 

10 hours ago, catman20 said:

you can see in the video she just dont like him, so many farang here get treated like this but they dont or cant see it, SAD 

so true.  facial expressions, level of interest, willingness to get close physically, reaction to the guy getting close physically are all priceless indicators of how women feel.  many of these guys simply tune out to these.

Archived