Anyone know about this abandoned building?

lkn

That building has been a ruin for as long as I can remember.   Clearly they're going to turn it into an actual condo or hotel now (probably condo) but I'd be a little concerned about the structural integrity of a building that's been sitting open and exposed for decades.

Good location though for once; most condos get built way out in desolate places.. (that's not what condo living is supposed to be like..)

5 minutes ago, Greenside said:

I was told it was started without planning permission but given how much actually got built it was probably a change of "sponsor" in the department concerned.

There are dozens of abandoned buildings in Chiang Mai, I assumed they were all a result of the financial crisis.

4 hours ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

Good location though for once; most condos get built way out in desolate places.. (that's not what condo living is supposed to be like..)

Agree, and I had been eyeing the building exactly because of the location. If foreigners weren’t so limited in what we can do here, I would consider buying and renovating the building myself :)

I have heard that it will be condos 2 per floor

Someone said a Hotel

They have purchased buildings next to the building for car parking

Because that was why they stopped the building when it was shut down

Because there was not parking available

I see this building every day

Maybe i should go and ask

13 hours ago, canthai55 said:

One in Jomtien on beach road was idle for over 10 years. rebar sticking out everywhere, water running down inside the columns

Now a condo ...

That is common and a scary thing when buying a condo.  You just do not know if it was built to any standards.   Have had friends who bought property in Thailand and they did make money but they would have made much more buying in other places. 

I remember looking at a building out Baan Tawai some years back.  It was just a skeleton but concrete rot had really set in, to the point that you could grab a piece and crumple it in your hands.  It sat on a nice piece of land and I though someone will probably buy it just for the land and bulldoze the building.  

But no!  Someone came along and slapped some mortar to cover all the gaps and then did a cladding of CGI (Corrugated Galvanised Iron).  It sold within a month..... so much for due dilligence or even a builders report.  Scary stuff.  Oh and it was a 3 story building.

Edited by CMKiwi
Spelling errors

5 hours ago, Maejo Man said:

Pantip plaza was atypical example. A skeleton for over 2 decades, the suddenly it became a building, but luckily only 3 floors.

Abandoned high rise run a much greater risk of structural integrity. :unsure:

I was on the top floor of Panthip Plaza the day we had the strongest earthquake in C.M. in the last 11 years. The building really swayed! But I lived through it so I guess the building is O.K.:ohmy:

Green Valley  Condo   (12 floors)  Mae Rim was exposed to all elements  for approx 15 to 20 yrs  and was in fine fettle,   before being finished  approx 3 to 4 years  ago

this particular  structure  was built so much better  in those times  ,  then   they throw up   now a days

a nice mid arvo to all:smile:

Not that easy for someone to just carry on and complete the building.

Builders are very superstitious about doing any construction on buildings that have been abandoned for whatever reason.

I recall the 'Times Square' building on Sukhumvit Rd, Bangkok during the 80's..  it was part of the massive building boom that hit the city back then.

The builders ran out of money and abandoned the site. They'd only constructed 5 levels of the building, no external walls, just the concrete floors and columns. For about 8 years when you crossed the pedestrian footbridge nearby all you could see were the street dogs that lived and roamed the building. No human squatters in site. 

According to the locals in the area the building now had 'bad pi' and before any Thai builder would enter the premises, let alone enter into any contractual obligations, a team of long serving monks with their 'head monk' had to go to the building and perform some sort of ritual to make peace and/or rid the building of the 'pi'.

Of course then, before work could recommence on the building a 'spirit house' had to be built.

• 2 months later...