Need a Midrange (beachfront?) bungalow tip

ding

Do any locals have a suggestion for us for a midrange hotel or bungalow?

We like beachfront bungalows with AC on Lamai and Koh Samet for 1,200-1,300B.

Phuket has become expensive since I was there in the early 90's! More than where we stay lately on Samui and Samet, it seems.

George's sticky above is a broken link. I've done some research but suspect there must be hidden gems out there to base out of.

We're visiting on holiday but checking out Phuket as a possible retirement location.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

You can find a close to beach GH's  ( 20 meters) in Kamala May- Nov ( under 800 baht)

high season 1,500-2,-000

Samui high season,,, not possible

LOL... You get around, me thinks. Good to see you here.

You don't say when you are coming (prices rise astronomically in high season), what sort of beach (swimming beach locations on the west coast cost much more than scenic east coast beaches), nor which town in Phuket province you want to stay at. (tourist party town or quiet expat)

You'll find major differences between the Phuket of the nineties and that of 2017. 

A couple of suggestions:

https://www.friendshipbeach.com/index.php

https://www.katavilla.com/

https://www.lastminute.com.au/Phuket-Hotels.d6046393.Travel-Guide-Hotels

4 hours ago, Old Croc said:

You don't say when you are coming (prices rise astronomically in high season), what sort of beach (swimming beach locations on the west coast cost much more than scenic east coast beaches), nor which town in Phuket province you want to stay at. (tourist party town or quiet expat)

You'll find major differences between the Phuket of the nineties and that of 2017. 

A couple of suggestions:

https://www.friendshipbeach.com/index.php

https://www.katavilla.com/

https://www.lastminute.com.au/Phuket-Hotels.d6046393.Travel-Guide-Hotels

When i have shown English visitors the east coast beaches, they all ask why arnt there people swimming. What beautiful beaches ,nothing like this back home. So, its courses for horses for courses.(or is the other around?)

9 hours ago, keithpa said:

When i have shown English visitors the east coast beaches, they all ask why arnt there people swimming. What beautiful beaches ,nothing like this back home. So, its courses for horses for courses.(or is the other around?)

Have you ever dived in to Rawai beach for a swim?

2 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Hi Croc...why's that? :shock1:

Because of the shallow waters? It feels like 200 years ago that I was in Rawai but I'm not that old yet...:laugh: so please explain..?

PS: did you read my PM the other day?

5 minutes ago, LaoPo said:
9 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Hi Croc...why's that? :shock1:

Because of the shallow waters? It feels like 200 years ago that I was in Rawai but I'm not that old yet...:laugh: so please explain..?

PS: did you read my PM the other day?

Phuket_-_Rawai_Beach_14.jpg

As with many Islands the leeward side typically is shallow, tidal, mudflat areas with mangrove forests.

The good sandy swimming beaches are usually on the windward side.

Some of Phuket's eastern beaches have been building up sand in recent years and can look quite attractive at high tide. They're good for kids to paddle in as long as they don't spike themselves on a boat mooring.

1 minute ago, Old Croc said:

As with many Islands the leeward side typically is shallow, tidal, mudflat areas with mangrove forests.

The good sandy swimming beaches are usually on the windward side.

Some of Phuket's eastern beaches have been building up sand in recent years and can look quite attractive at high tide. They're good for kids to paddle in as long as they don't spike themselves on a boat mooring.

Thanks Croc and yes, In remember now, the eastern Phuket beaches to be like that. Not much beach fun but not that I'm a beach fan (anymore) nowadays.

Great replies.

:bow:

We're coming February.

We have a running joke that 351 days of the year are HIGH SEASON, broken only by 2 weeks of PEAK SEASON.

Neither of us drink but we do like some stimulus.

The wife is delightful and intelligent, the husband a bit of a porch dog.... Better to have access to some action sometimes.

I have never seen any beach front bungalows on the west coast of Phuket, if there are any which i doubt there would not be low season prices

There are some on the east coast in Chalong but the beach is tidal with mangroves and mud flats

There are a few beach front bungalows at Khao Lak built not long after the tsunami, which really are beach front, walk out the door thru the gate and you are on a lovely sandy beach, seen one for sale but i do not know if they rent them 

1 hour ago, madmax2 said:

I have never seen any beach front bungalows on the west coast of Phuket, if there are any which i doubt there would not be low season prices

There are some on the east coast in Chalong but the beach is tidal with mangroves and mud flats

There are a few beach front bungalows at Khao Lak built not long after the tsunami, which really are beach front, walk out the door thru the gate and you are on a lovely sandy beach, seen one for sale but i do not know if they rent them 

Ao Sane beach.

19 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

I did say if there are any, not there are none:saai:

You said " I have never seen any beach front bungalows on the west coast of Phuket, if there are any which i doubt there would not be low season prices ". So doubt all you want, they're there.

Just now, stevenl said:

You said " I have never seen any beach front bungalows on the west coast of Phuket, if there are any which i doubt there would not be low season prices ". So doubt all you want, they're there.

Get a life and read my post again,( i have never seen,if their are any) does not mean there are none and i never said that:partytime2:

The house at Ao Sane beach Rawai were built for the local people after the tsunami to replace their destroyed houses and are for their use not to be used as rental properties for tourists./ expats 

Or so i was informed, There are other houses developments in Phuket and Phangnga which were also built after the tsunami for the exclusive use of Thai nationals as well, they may let someone who is married to a Thai national live in one with their partner, only someone who had tried to do this would know

I still do not know of any beach front bungalows/ houses on the west coast that are available for rent to tourists

2 hours ago, madmax2 said:

The house at Ao Sane beach Rawai were built for the local people after the tsunami to replace their destroyed houses and are for their use not to be used as rental properties for tourists./ expats 

Or so i was informed, There are other houses developments in Phuket and Phangnga which were also built after the tsunami for the exclusive use of Thai nationals as well, they may let someone who is married to a Thai national live in one with their partner, only someone who had tried to do this would know

I still do not know of any beach front bungalows/ houses on the west coast that are available for rent to tourists

So after pointed out to you that at Ao Sane there are beach front bungalows for rent you still do not know of any.

5 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Ao Sane doesn't have what I call "beach front" bungalows. They're close, but not exactly beach front.

Also, Ao Sane is a pretty crappy beach. Can you even classify it as west coast?

They're right on the beach. Yes, I don't like it for swimming due to rocks, but looking at the conditions it is very much west coast.

16 minutes ago, stevenl said:

They're right on the beach. Yes, I don't like it for swimming due to rocks, but looking at the conditions it is very much west coast.

If you're talking about the bungalows at Krating resort, they aren't on the beach. Looking at the map and referring to a compass, I would call it a southern beach. It's on the south coast and faces south.

From Baan Krating Resort's own description. "Baan Krating Phuket Resort boasts a secluded location on the beautiful southern side of Phuket".

5 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

If you're talking about the bungalows at Krating resort, they aren't on the beach. Looking at the map and referring to a compass, I would call it a southern beach. It's on the south coast and faces south.

From Baan Krating Resort's own description. "Baan Krating Phuket Resort boasts a secluded location on the beautiful southern side of Phuket".

I'm talking about the bungalows on ao sane beach, that is why I wrote ao sane. If talking about baan krating I would have written baan krating.

5 meters from the sea, right on the beach. And that is ao sane beach.

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

I'm talking about the bungalows on ao sane beach, that is why I wrote ao sane. If talking about baan krating I would have written baan krating.

Have the name of these bungalows?

Regardless, it's a crappy, tiny beach (less than a minute to walk the length of it) that I certainly wouldn't recommend.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

To be 5 meters from the sea they would have to be between the coastal road and the beach

There is nothing there except sand, I am willing to put money money where my mouth is with a substantial donation to the Phuket sunshine village if i am wrong are you prepared to do the same if you are wrong, or are you all talk on the internet as usual  

1 hour ago, madmax2 said:

To be 5 meters from the sea they would have to be between the coastal road and the beach

There is nothing there except sand, I am willing to put money money where my mouth is with a substantial donation to the Phuket sunshine village if i am wrong are you prepared to do the same if you are wrong, or are you all talk on the internet as usual  

Looking forward to your Sunshine Village donation.

There are bungalows there and a restaurant, see photo and link below your post.

Archived