Need a Midrange (beachfront?) bungalow tip

ding

I like Ao Sane bungalows. 
Stayed there for over a month when I first came here, 15+ years ago. 
I have friends (whom I've recommended Ao Sane too), that love it now. 
It's a bit rustic but that's what they want. 
No TV or WIFI, but right on the beach and the restaurant is good. 
But, you need a motorbike to get there. 

I don't really understand what this fight going on over definitition of a bungalow is, but Ao Sane bungalows are right on the beach IMO (good snorkeling at Jungle beach too)

Most of them are concrete although I believe there are still a few wooden ones up in the jungle (in the back)

At least 2 are air conditioned. 

And a few on the rocks is very close to the sea. 

Maybe the guy saying they are not bungalows has not been there?

Anyway, back to your fight guys..............

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, fiddlehead said:

I like Ao Sane bungalows. 
Stayed there for over a month when I first came here, 15+ years ago. 
I have friends (whom I've recommended Ao Sane too), that love it now. 
It's a bit rustic but that's what they want. 
No TV or WIFI, but right on the beach and the restaurant is good. 
But, you need a motorbike to get there. 

I don't really understand what this fight going on over definitition of a bungalow is, but Ao Sane bungalows are right on the beach IMO (good snorkeling at Jungle beach too)

Most of them are concrete although I believe there are still a few wooden ones up in the jungle (in the back)

At least 2 are air conditioned. 

And a few on the rocks is very close to the sea. 

Maybe the guy saying they are not bungalows has not been there?

Anyway, back to your fight guys..............

Correct fiddlehead, those bungalows have been there a long time.

I think madmax is just bitter as he doesn't want to put his money where his mouth  (keyboard) is.  Next thing you know he'll say his definition of a beachfront bungalow is 300 square metres for less than 1000 baht a night.

48 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

I think madmax is just bitter as he doesn't want to put his money where his mouth  (keyboard) is.  Next thing you know he'll say his definition of a beachfront bungalow is 300 square metres for less than 1000 baht a night.

Get a life, a bungalow is a building built to government rules and regulations , and those are not, The ones in the pictures  are shacks built out of secondhand materials with no planning approval

The beach front restaurant that was demolished by the tsunami and rebuilt afterwards was their for a long time to but they were made to remove it, once the military new about and inspected it

Find a building inspector who will certify that those building are legally built bungalows built to the local building regulations not illegally built shacks and i will happily pay any wager anyone wants to take up including YOU if i am wrong

The OP was asking for a beach front bungalow the same as you can rent on Samui, i have stopped in one there as well and they are legally built fully equipped comfortable buildings not shacks  

1 hour ago, steelepulse said:

No, he just wants it inspected and certified that it is build to building regulations and that it is fully legal. When that's done he'll pay up the promised 100k.

17 minutes ago, stevenl said:

No, he just wants it inspected and certified that it is build to building regulations and that it is fully legal. When that's done he'll pay up the promised 100k.

If 100k are 100k US Dollar i will arrange the papers with a special inspection.?

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

It's called Moving the Goal Posts when he was proved wrong.

Classic Trumpian misdirection.

11 minutes ago, ding said:

I'm researching all the spots you guys mention, thanks.

Ao Sane link showed it to be rockier than google did.

That was good to learn now, if we can't swim there. Thanks.

You can swim there. But it is not the ideal swimming beach.

51 minutes ago, ding said:

One of the best swimming beaches on Phuket is a short walk (or swim) from that place.

8 hours ago, stevenl said:

You did not except the wager so why should i pay if you wont, and no one has proved me in the wrong yet in my opinion

Your mate KB said you could not afford to, i did not know that having talked to someone who ran a successful dive business and having an idea about how much profit they were making, they could easily afford it

7 hours ago, ding said:

I have only tried to swim there once,there are so many rocks under the water i kept kicking them and gave up trying to swim there

2 hours ago, madmax2 said:

I have only tried to swim there once,there are so many rocks under the water i kept kicking them and gave up trying to swim there

Strange you tried to swim there and didn't know there were bungalows and a restaurant.

And I'm sorry I couldn't accept your wager, but by the time I read your proposal you were already proven wrong by the posts following yours. You should thank me in stead of throwing around your usual insults, I saved you 100k.

11 hours ago, stevenl said:

Strange you tried to swim there and didn't know there were bungalows and a restaurant.

And I'm sorry I couldn't accept your wager, but by the time I read your proposal you were already proven wrong by the posts following yours. You should thank me in stead of throwing around your usual insults, I saved you 100k.

Steven those beach shacks or beach huts as i called them are not bungalows

Since you and other posters have not a clue about what the definition of a bungalow is i suggest you look up the word on the internet or a dictionary which will explain to you and others what a bungalow is, and then you will all know

I tried to swim there about 9 years ago near the parking area and at that time here was a beach restaurant as well which has now been removed, i did not walk up the the south end of the beach where what buildings if they existed back would have been hidden from veiw

The wager is still open to you and anyone else, the more the merrier, but know one will including you take it up

Why would i pay if i did not lose the wager, who ever takes the wager up and i hope a few what can only be stupid people do they would be paying

Read the DEFINITION of a bungalow on the internet people who want to take up the wager before you do though or you will be 100K baht poorer         

I have seen real bungalows at Khao Lak and Samui only, not at any west coast ocean beach on Phuket, There were a couple on the east coast of the island in the Chalong area only but at low tide the beach was a mud flat and it was not suitable for swimming, in my opinion anyway

I still say to you and anyone else who genuinely disagrees with and is not just trolling, put up or shut up

Had my fun doing a bit of stirring and made a topic interesting by doing it, its now becoming boring 

From the weblink posted before clearly there are bungalows (in the Andaman sense of of what constitutes a bungalow) there, in particular the 2 sets of more formal semi-detached ones. I would wager Madmax, but clearly he will continue to reboot his definition to suit his position so as to avoid payment, so no point to pursue that line further.

This fudging and  denial from Madmax reminds me of the circuitous discussions I used to have with Alan Moronson of Phuketwan, such as his assertion that his "Phuket Restaurant of the Year" being actually in Khao Lak (a different province) was not an inappropriate choice etc etc.

Another place come to my mind although I haven't been there for quite some time. 
Over on Karon beach's north end, you have the Karon beach resort. 
Next to it, to the west, there are 2 more places that are actually on the rocks a few meters from the 5 km long beach. 
I don't remember the name, but I used to stay at a small bungalow down on the rocks, further to the west although the tsunami wiped THAT out.

Over on the east side, just north of Chalong, there is a boatyard where they repair (possibly even build) yachts, there are a few bungalows there.  
Of course that beach is not good for swimming, like the west side.

The OP might also want to check out Ya Nui bungalows. 
You have a road between the bungalows and the beach, but it is a nice, small, somewhat unknown gem of a beach.

If you can afford a little more money, Vijitt  often offers some great deals and they have luxury bungalows on the beach (east side though)
Keep in mind, the east side beaches have better views as their islands in the view, instead of just plain sea (west side)
Also, what about Panwa? 
There are some villas over there right on the beach? 
Don't know about smaller bungalows but I imagine there are some. 
(I don't get over there much)

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2017 at 9:17 AM, stuarty said:

From the weblink posted before clearly there are bungalows (in the Andaman sense of of what constitutes a bungalow) there, in particular the 2 sets of more formal semi-detached ones. I would wager Madmax, but clearly he will continue to reboot his definition to suit his position so as to avoid payment, so no point to pursue that line further.

This fudging and  denial from Madmax reminds me of the circuitous discussions I used to have with Alan Moronson of Phuketwan, such as his assertion that his "Phuket Restaurant of the Year" being actually in Khao Lak (a different province) was not an inappropriate choice etc etc.

Not my definition of a Bungalow sport, but most sites on the internet

My definition of a bungalow and the ones i have stopped in are, a single  story fully equipped house with verandas around it as seen at Australian country beaches and farms

You wont wager because you know you will lose the wager :violin:

2 hours ago, madmax2 said:

Not my definition of a Bungalow sport, but most sites on the internet

My definition of a bungalow and the ones i have stopped in are, a single  story fully equipped house with verandas around it as seen at Australian country beaches and farms

You wont wager because you know you will lose the wager :violin:

Told you. I rest my case.

1 hour ago, steelepulse said:

Your Austalian definition of a bungalow is certainly not the same definition of a bungalow in Thailand.  Remind me again, we are debating bungalows in which country and on which island?

Is googles definition of a bungalow wrong as well, its much broader than mine and does not include beach shacks or beach huts, which would have been washed away if they were there before the Tsunami, the same as the restaurant was that stood on the area where the parking lot now is.

You sound like a time share salesperson trying to convince me i am wrong

39 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

Is googles definition of a bungalow wrong as well, its much broader than mine and does not include beach shacks or beach huts, which would have been washed away if they were there before the Tsunami, the same as the restaurant was that stood on the area where the parking lot now is.

You sound like a time share salesperson trying to convince me i am wrong

.......and you sound desperate.

Not a single poster here agrees with Your definition.

1 hour ago, KarenBravo said:

.......and you sound desperate.

Not a single poster here agrees with Your definition.

And not a single person including you has taken up my offer of a wager

Google bungalow, my opinion is the same as theirs of the definition of a bungalow

Not desperate at all sport , just can't be bothered wasting my time with losers who will not put their money where their mouth is

Put up or shut up as the old saying goes:violin:

7 hours ago, ding said:

Just t go off my own topic... As a building and electrical inspector - I love the debate over the definition of 'bungalow'.

Again, thanks for all the great tips folks.

Good times.

Just of interest as the opening poster and a building and electrical inspector (probably a brain surgeon and mafia boss as well) are the beach shacks pictured the type of air conditioned bungalow or hotel you are looking for you and your family ???

1 hour ago, madmax2 said:

And not a single person including you has taken up my offer of a wager

Google bungalow, my opinion is the same as theirs of the definition of a bungalow

Not desperate at all sport , just can't be bothered wasting my time with losers who will not put their money where their mouth is

Put up or shut up as the old saying goes:violin:

Cambridge dictionary: house that usually has only one storey (= level), sometimes with a smallerupper storey set in the roof and windows that come out from the roof:

Websters dictionary : a one-storied house with a low-pitched roof; also : a house having one and a half stories and usually a front porch.

Oxford dictionary : 

A low house having only one storey or, in some cases, upper rooms set in the roof, typically with dormer windows.

Synonyms (in SE Asia) a large detached house with more than one storey.

So, you see Peter, it depends on what dictionary you look at. Seems to me the ones in the photo conform to a dictionary definition. As for saying you think that a bungalow should be defined as an Australians understanding of a Bungalow in Australia is laughable. You do know that Bungalow is a Hindi word, right?  Yup, Indian.........not Australian.

As you are stubbornly clinging to your own definition of Bungalow that no one else agrees with, are you really surprised that no one has taken up your bet?
It isn't cowardice. It's futile.
Maybe you should show some courage and backbone by admitting you're wrong?

Archived