Pattani schools grads cause international furor over writing on World Heritage stones in Jordan

webfact

Happens to lots of people who don't know better.  Chinese tourists kicking the sacred bells to make them ring at Wat Phra That Doi Suthep on the mountain to the west of Chiang Mai and getting in trouble..

And Thai students getting in trouble for marking up World Heritage site sacred stones in Jordan, Middle East.

Everyone is ignorant and fails to study things before going off and insulting or vandalizing...  

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, Banana7 said:

This is what can be expected from educated Thais. Now I wonder what less educated Thais would do in a similar situation?

I wonder if this type of educated Thais behaviour is why so many countries require Thais to obtain a visa to visit a country?

The less educated would not even think of doing anything like that.

Yes, yes, we know, teens misbehave everywhere. But Thai people think they're God's chosen people and they're intolerant of intercultural mistakes that tourists and expats make. But it's ok for them to be idiots overseas. I'm thinking of the geyser incident at Yellowstone in addition to this item.

And that unfortunately is why so many world famous attractions are roped or fenced off, when I was a child it was possible to visit Stonehenge for example, and get up close and personal with the stones, now you are lucky if you can get within 50 yards of them. Same around the world, I'm not blaming anyone here, it's a problem everywhere, and unfortunately the few idiots spoil the experience for the rest of us "Normal" people.

I'm pleasantly surprised that the school took some responsibility.  Given that Moslems are taught to despise pre-Islamic civilisations, (think of the fates of the Bamiyan Buddhas, the Assyrian lion statues, the temple of Bel, shrines in Timbuktu), this was unexpected.

It is just 'kid stuff'...... Little traveled 'Kids'............. Now he has been caught and taught a lesson he will remember............ just let him be..........

He may most likely 'grow up' to be a very respectable  adult......... Just be sure he 'pays a little' Now........... and give him a chance to advance.....

Many 'very respectable' people did some crazy things in their youth....................

HOW EVER............... If he is a 'typical' Hi-So Thai Young Man who gets young Thai girls pregnant and runnnnnnnnnn. ......... Then Kill the Bas_t_rd...........  LOL................

21 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Could be tempting to start some Thai or muslim bashing again !!....but stupid teens, getting bold when in their gang,  are more of a global issue then an issue of nationality.

Here's a thread that starts with a sensible comment ... for a change.

22 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Could be tempting to start some Thai or muslim bashing again !!....but stupid teens, getting bold when in their gang,  are more of a global issue then an issue of nationality.

huh....? it is about Thai  yut's that should've known better , simple as that . start by blaming the wrong doers first . 

18 hours ago, seajae said:

they dont care about their own country why should they care about someone elses, you only have to look at what they do here to realize they dont give a sh*t about doing the right thing

Experience tells me that even some of the best educated Thais do not really know the difference between (King) Mongkut and mankut (mangosteen), e.g. when reading a text about the former. I experienced that some Thais have zero interest in 1) their own history, and 2) zero interest in, or respect for other cultures. All Thais seem to care about, is "Thainess", trying to look bleach-white, and the latest games on their smartphone. (Yes, I know, I will receive tons of replies, telling me that Thais are, in fact, the most sophisticated people on Earth, and that Thais are the crown of God's creation, but sorry, my experience is different from yours.)

Edited by StayinThailand2much

18 hours ago, Denim said:

Knowing teenagers , it could have been worse . Badly drawn female genitals with a phone number.

when my sons were young teenagers it was male genitals...always seemed a bit strange...but fortunately it was in their school books and not over ancient monuments. Teenagers will be teenagers every where, however I do wonder that did they not know why they were visiting the site in the first place, seems like they wasted the entire trip !! (Oh ...of course they were teenagers)

17 minutes ago, Megasin1 said:

when my sons were young teenagers it was male genitals...always seemed a bit strange...but fortunately it was in their school books and not over ancient monuments. Teenagers will be teenagers every where, however I do wonder that did they not know why they were visiting the site in the first place, seems like they wasted the entire trip !! (Oh ...of course they were teenagers)

What is new to me, is that Muslim(?) teenagers do that to the heritage of another Muslim country. Shouldn't they know better, being a (not always liked) minority in Thailand, and considering the 13-year old conflict down there, which is so prevalent in Pattani?

18 hours ago, DM07 said:

...yet they get their knickers in a twist, whenever someone somewhere does something with or to a beloved Buddha...

Thailand is not a signatury to the: 'when the shoe is on the other foot.' treaty so they have a free pass???

1 hour ago, Megasin1 said:

As fr as I can see, the age or age range of the alumni are not given in the news article in the OP. Also the Thai press do not seem to indicate their age, but their photos are published and they look older than 19 to me.

4 hours ago, peperobi said:

In case one farang do a similar thing here in Th, they will ask for lifelong imprisonment...The Thais ask us always to pay respect to everything here in Thailand but they do not know what respect is.

Last year in Phuket were 2 Italian kids who teared some Thai flags down while being drunk.

They got sent to prison for 2 years iirc....

A Russian lady was on a boattour in Phuket and decided to throw some bread in the water for the fish....100.000 baht fine for that.

The Thai really respect foreign tourists...:post-4641-1156694083:

3 hours ago, Bigfarang1948 said:

A Global Issue?  Now, that is quite an exaggeration of an isolated event.

Having travelled to a few historic sites here and there, I have always noticed the jerks passing thru and putting their signatures all over. Quite surprising that you never noticed this, assuming that you have travelled a bit to certain historic sites ??...Or are you just another troll trying to get attention and wanting a one way ticket to my ignore list ?...no offence plse

Edited by observer90210

5 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Experience tells me that even some of the best educated Thais do not really know the difference between (King) Mongkut and mankut (mangosteen), e.g. when reading a text about the former. I experienced that some Thais have zero interest in 1) their own history, and 2) zero interest in, or respect for other cultures. All Thais seem to care about, is "Thainess", trying to look bleach-white, and the latest games on their smartphone. (Yes, I know, I will receive tons of replies, telling me that Thais are, in fact, the most sophisticated people on Earth, and that Thais are the crown of God's creation, but sorry, my experience is different from yours.)

Nobody is going to  say Thais are the most sophisticated people of the world and the crown of God's creation, but the negative stereotypes you are spouting are far from truth and really border on racism.

Edited by duanebigsby
spelling

On 11/25/2017 at 5:50 PM, Hardie said:

That's funny. Mr. Yeeloh says he was unaware of the vandalism, yet the Thai script says: "Yeeloh." 

I guess Mr. Yeeloh (<<<<Thai language removed>>>>), the director of the school, was unaware of it until it was shown to him. He must have been quite annoyed that an alumnus wrote his surname on that stone and this may have been the reason why, according to other news reports (in Thai), the alumnus was taken to task, had to apologise to the Jordan authorities and the Thai ambassador, and had to clean the stone.

Edited by metisdead
English is the only acceptable language anywhere on ThaiVisa including Classifieds, except within the Thai language forum, where of course using Thai is allowed.

16 hours ago, Oxx said:

I'm pleasantly surprised that the school took some responsibility.  Given that Moslems are taught to despise pre-Islamic civilisations, (think of the fates of the Bamiyan Buddhas, the Assyrian lion statues, the temple of Bel, shrines in Timbuktu), this was unexpected.

Jordan is extremely progressive for the area. Their House of Representatives even has mandatory seats (15 women, 9 Christians, and 3 Chechen/Circassians) for minorities. That's ~20% of the seats.