Corruption Street: 'I'm so tired of it,' says PEBA President

snoop1130

Corruption Street: 'I'm so tired of it,' says PEBA President

The Phuket News

1511521187_1-org.jpg

Tourists walk along Bangla Rd, the heart of Patong’s thriving entertainment and nightlife industry. Photo: Chutharat Plerin

PHUKET:-- Patong business operators publicly admitting that they pay bribes to police and other officials in order to stay open past legal trading hours has cast light onto one of the island’s largest ongoing corruption rackets and provided a glimmer of hope that the dirty deals done just so tourists can party late into the night may finally be resolved.

The news broke last Sunday (Nov 19) when several Patong operators attended a meeting in Bangkok that was called by officials in the capital to discuss in detail the state of corrupt affairs in Patong.

That meeting was held just one day after Acting Inspector-General of the Royal Thai Police Gen Suchart Thirasawat issued an order to transfer Patong Police Chief Col Tassanai Orarigdech and Patong Traffic Police Chief Snr Sgt Maj Worachat Thappun to inactive posts in Bangkok pending an investigation into their affairs.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/corruption-street-im-so-tired-of-it-says-peba-president-64855.php#tXHqKx7StJlAdMbK.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-11-24

Interesting that the man who is a huge part of the problem has his normal solution- we are poor persecuted businessmen who want another 2 hours. Give them 4 am and they'll want 6 am. 0200 is late enough. Taipan manages OK til the sun rises.

1 hour ago, Psimbo said:

Interesting that the man who is a huge part of the problem has his normal solution- we are poor persecuted businessmen who want another 2 hours. Give them 4 am and they'll want 6 am. 0200 is late enough. Taipan manages OK til the sun rises.

god forbid people want to stay up late and have some fun 

2 hours ago, Psimbo said:

That's why God understand the nature of men and carved the Ten Commandments in stone.

They'll still find a way to get their tea money even if hours are extended, which they probably won't be.

Allegedly a new police chief arrived in Karon and immediately took the decision that all bars should pay money to the police, whether operating legally or not. I don't know if this is still the case but it certainly was a year ago.

It's no more than a police-run protection racket.

12 hours ago, trogers said:

That's why God understand the nature of men and carved the Ten Commandments in stone.

Nice to see you following me around and trolling me. Have a nice morning. 

I guess you thrive on the 'but I'm on holiday so the law doesn't apply to me' philosophy.

The law is what it is and people are abusing it- if you approve of that its you with the problem, not me.

14 minutes ago, madmitch said:

They'll still find a way to get their tea money even if hours are extended, which they probably won't be.

Allegedly a new police chief arrived in Karon and immediately took the decision that all bars should pay money to the police, whether operating legally or not. I don't know if this is still the case but it certainly was a year ago.

Exactly, and that's what the White Knighters above don't get.

54 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Heard from a long-time police officer here that the new police chief was clamping down on corruption, this after the current guy had been removed.

When asked if this was the case, then why hadn't the regular payments to the BIB collection man been stopped, he had no answer for it?

Although it would be great to think that this corruption would cease, one would have to be very naive indeed to think this could happen.

Think about it – – over many years the amount collected from the business owners (and that includes everyone who has to pay their due, from bar owners to gold shops to taxi drivers and so on) would be in the hundreds of billions of baht, and in Patong, because it is an entertainment centre, it would be many millions per month. This constant stream of tea money provides hundreds if not thousands of people with an income, flowing right the way to the top to those in the positions of power.

Clamping down will affect their incomes most severely, so it is just not going to happen. This despite the "whiter than white/holier than thou" Thai authorities claiming they will stamp out corruption – – they can't because they are an integral part of it and it gives them wealth, power and face.

8 minutes ago, peperobi said:

When someone will do really something against the big corruption in the whole country???

You got that right. Country is corrupt from top to bottom. Really retarded the past development and will for sure retard any future development. It's all about me, me, and me.

1 hour ago, LivinginKata said:

You got that right. Country is corrupt from top to bottom. Really retarded the past development and will for sure retard any future development. It's all about me, me, and me.

And you think there is no corruption in your own country.?

Dream on.

1 minute ago, hansnl said:

And you think there is no corruption in your own country.?

Dream on.

For sure there is some level and type of corruption in every country. But it's just so obvious here in Thailand from police shakedowns to local government additional' fees to Immigration officers.  Don't get me started on central government corruption ... rice scheme ???

16 hours ago, sebastion said:

Say if the bribes do stop, will the operators lower prices for tourists?
Ultimately the bribes paid are passed on to tourists so will they?

I doubt it.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Well, do you think the bribes paid get passed on to the customers?

With competition prices can fall.

Ah, corruption street. What annoys just about everyone I know that ventures down the street (Road) any time after dark is the number & actions of touts.

Many years the touts were simply advertising drinks. Then they advertised ‘sexy ladies’, next came the ‘infamous’ ping pong shows now it’s straight to ‘live sex’, or more usually, ‘f#cking show’ with a couple of the touts advertising ‘boy shows’. 

I dont one know who taught theses touts their trade but they all seem to make a beeline for foreign couples and family groups with young kids.

All this in plain view of the local BiB. Amazing Thailand indeed, amazing 5 star resort.

When you realise the extent of the corruption here (i.e. goes into the generic corner of everything) then you have to smirk and think "Good luck with that" when you hear the Ministry of Grand Plans & Lofty Ideas announce stuff like that Thailand will be a cashless society in 10 years and all this 4.0 nonsense. Thailand's only enemy is itself really.

7 minutes ago, HerbalEd said:

".... thy neighbors bribe"? I thought it was "bride."

Covet...or anything that belongs to your neighbor.

The rights of your neighbor belongs to him. Rights to fairness and justice.

Paying and receiving bribes are acts to get privileges that step over such rights.

10 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Well, do you think the bribes paid get passed on to the customers?

With competition prices can fall.

Who else you think pays the bribes?

Many moons ago I knew the owner of a club off Pattaya walking street which only opened at 3am and stayed open till 8 - 9 am.

They paid 10.000 Baht to the boys in brown.

Per day that was.

4 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Who else you think pays the bribes?

Many moons ago I knew the owner of a club off Pattaya walking street which only opened at 3am and stayed open till 8 - 9 am.

They paid 10.000 Baht to the boys in brown.

Per day that was.

Yes well it was a tongue in cheek statement.

There are bigger amounts than that getting handed over.

On 2017-11-24 at 3:39 PM, sebastion said:

Say if the bribes do stop, will the operators lower prices for tourists?
Ultimately the bribes paid are passed on to tourists so will they?

I doubt it.

Why don´t you just think about buying your beer, accepting the price and having the knowledge that the corruption is gone. Always something to complain about, ain´t it?

Why don´t you just think about buying your beer, accepting the price and having the knowledge that the corruption is gone. Always something to complain about, ain´t it?
Prices on Bangla Rd are more expensive than the West.
I understand that they pay bribes and and huge rent and that gets passed on to the tourist.
I'm just wondering if the bribes stop, will the prices go down? It's a logical question.

It doesn't affect me whatsoever. I don't frequent the place but I want Phuket to succeed. Its pricing itself out of the tourist market.