Has anyone recently done a Thai Will?

davidst01

I want a Thai Will done and visited one of the local attorneys. He said the fee is based on the total value of my assets in the Will. I said I only have bank acc funds, Pickup truck and furniture. Value 1mill. He said 3% of the value.... then said 20,000 baht. 

It seems quite high for what should be quite a basic Will. He then said I could alternatively go to the local amphur and they could do it. Has anyone done this before? If so whats involved? Do they register the Will?

I was hoping to only pay 5000 to 10000 to get it done. 

Also, if I dont get around to doing one and then something happens to me is this a problem for my wife to have the assets transferred to her name? What happens if there is no Will? 

Any opinions on this are appreciated. I dread having to deal with the legal profession in this country. Toilet bowl ethics with money hungry attitude. Scares the hell out of me having to deal with these people. 

Edited by davidst01

13 minutes ago, topt said:

OP it would probably help if you said where you are so posters can give you specific advice and/or recommendations?

I dont think so. What is the reason you would need to know my location unless you are a stalker. 

Im certain that the laws regarding Wills are nation wide and 100% not specific to where one resides in Thailand. 

Please answer any of the questions if you indeed have any knowledge on this subject. 

Edited by davidst01

I simply copy a will form from internet, I filled it up and made it sign by 2 adults Thai nationals, i.e. my landlady and the guard downstairs.  Apparently it is legal this way.  If you are legally married to a Thai then all your assets will automatically go to your wife and children in the advent that a will is not made.

You do not need a law firm to write a will for you, a will in English is sufficient.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

Any lawyer in Thailand that is charging you for a will based upon the size of your estate is planning on ripping you off 

Now a lawyer charging to probate a will through the Thai courts MAY be able to charge based upon the value of the estate but that would be a % based upon approval by the court

The most common trick that they pull is they  prepare a will for you and then offer to keep the original for safekeeping with the promise to "probate" if for you.  Only problem with this kind offer is that you are no longer around to determine if the will he presents to the court is the same will you executed

Never let a lawyer keep an original of anything, especially something that they "notarized" for you

There is a reason that Thais rate lawyers just behind policemen and politicians  

I think it is very wrong to generalize. There are some awful lawyers, but there are some very honest, decent and professional working lawyers in Thailand . I know few both in Bangkok and Chiang Mai.

Regarding the fees for a will, I paid less than BHT20,000, for a rather complicated will, which can be registered with an Amphur, which has been done in my case by the lawyer.

• Thanks 1

It's your money and you can do what you want. You asked, I answered.

And after many years living here and dealing with Thai lawyers I don't give any one of them any trust or faith, especially if I am not going to be here to keep them honest

May be a generalization, but an accurate one

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, yimlitnoy said:

I simply copy a will form from internet, I filled it up and made it sign by 2 adults Thai nationals, i.e. my landlady and the guard downstairs.  Apparently it is legal this way.  If you are legally married to a Thai then all your assets will automatically go to your wife and children in the advent that a will is not made.

You do not need a law firm to write a will for you, a will in English is sufficient.

When i did my will a few years ago through a Bangkok local lawyer I think it only cost me several thousand baht.

I was told before that with a Thai will it is essential to declare key assets. Such as property, car etc.

Can anybody help contribute with their knowledge.

My Thai wife may have found this is necessary for her fathers will that she is currently trying to assist with.

I should find out in the next few days.

6 minutes ago, bkkenglish said:

I used Issan Lawyers. 

Completed to my satisfaction, in both English and Thai (a Thai will must be in Thai).

Cost under 10,000 baht.

Did they get you to declare specific key assets such as property, car maybe even bank account?

Used a local lawyer here in Hat Yai last year, cost was Bht14,000 for Thai and certified English translation. You need to detail everything including bank account numbers, you don't seem to be able to make a blanket statement like "I give it all to the wife", they want it detailed.

As for charging you based on the value of your estate, that's just a plain rip-off, go and find another lawyer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, wanderluster said:

i paid 5000 baht about a yr ago and the will was 34 pages long. they like to include every little thing. and was all done in triplicut.

posts sound a bit like my experience however I only ended up with several pages.

1 hour ago, abrahamzvi said:

I think it is very wrong to generalize. There are some awful lawyers, but there are some very honest, decent and professional working lawyers in Thailand . I know few both in Bangkok and Chiang Mai.

Regarding the fees for a will, I paid less than BHT20,000, for a rather complicated will, which can be registered with an Amphur, which has been done in my case by the lawyer.

I completed a complicated will on Phuket in September this year. I used the services of a Law Firm. Had it registered at the Amphur and witnessed photographs taken at the signing.

All done, was just over twenty thousand Thai Baht.

Cheap wills are just that, cheap and can cause untold grief once you ooze off the planet.

Pay for a proper will signed by an honest lawyer, stop laughing, there are many around. Or you can loose everything to a crooked laywer and your family will have nothing.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Stocky said:

You need to detail everything including bank account numbers,

45 minutes ago, wanderluster said:

i paid 5000 baht about a yr ago and the will was 34 pages long. they like to include every little thing. and was all done in triplicut.

So if you then go and open a new account or move money to one with higher interest how easy is it to add a codicil in Thailand or do you have to go through the whole process again?

Likewise if you have a car and change it and have specified it too individually or current shares/funds you may have in Thailand?

Does not seem overly practical unless you are almost at that time of life where you know you are not going to be changing anything.

• Like 1

Among the various suggestions by other posters that does not involve a lawyer I add another. I bought this book for general purposes but it has examples of a Thai Will in both Thai and English. The OP could have a shop type both. In addition to that there is an explanation of what the legal requirements are.

Thai Law.jpg

Edited by TKDfella
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, yimlitnoy said:

The better is to make it handwritten (English is OK) and indeed proceed further on as written above...at zero cost.

On 11/26/2017 at 1:40 PM, davidst01 said:

I dont think so. What is the reason you would need to know my location unless you are a stalker. 

Im certain that the laws regarding Wills are nation wide and 100% not specific to where one resides in Thailand. 

Please answer any of the questions if you indeed have any knowledge on this subject. 

David,a friend of mine has just passed away,heres the gist of what I have learned from it, he had a lovely Thai lady for many years as his 'partner',not married, he began having medical problems some years ago,so, he and she went into a local law office to make out a will,he explained that he had a daughter back in his original place of birth, she wanted nothing to do with him,what they put in his will was that she(daughter) would receive one hundred baht upon his death,and his Thai partner would receive the rest,bank account cash, the pickup,property was already in her name, he had photos of him signing the will with the lawyer and witness stood behind him,apparently after the Doctor had signed the death certificate and the police had done their bit there were no problems,he paid twelve thousand for his will,so I'm told,you can do one of your own,but, you would need two good witness,also I'm told if you are 'legally' married doing your own will is much simpler,can be downloaded from the Internet.

I had mine done just recently by a qualified lawyer here in Udon Thani an old friend of the family he was happy to do it for nothing he does not speak any English I did the draft in English he then had it translated and had put in to proper context before signing I received two copies one in Thai the other in English I gave him 2000 baht as gratuity he was just very happy that he could help me. 

Prior to knowing him I had to use another female lawyer here she gave me the right royal farlang treatment and ripped me off unmercifully.   

• Like 1

Recently I was asked by a Thai lady to help her with obtaining clearance from the court to obtain her deceased farlang husbands assets. He left no will. She went to the provincial court with the death certificate, his bankbook, and a statement she made about his assets. She picked up a lawyer hanging around the court and in 2 hours had access by court order to all assets including the Bank account in his name solely.

I don't think it is necessary to employ a lawyer to do a will. Sure they say it must be registered at the Ampur but really, if a court will rule like it did in the example above why bother. Just write one out copied from the internet and get it witnessed. Convert it to Thai if you want, but it all seems pretty un-necessary if you just have few assets.

The court will rule.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, eddysmit said:

David,a friend of mine has just passed away,heres the gist of what I have learned from it, he had a lovely Thai lady for many years as his 'partner',not married, he began having medical problems some years ago,so, he and she went into a local law office to make out a will,he explained that he had a daughter back in his original place of birth, she wanted nothing to do with him,what they put in his will was that she(daughter) would receive one hundred baht upon his death,and his Thai partner would receive the rest,bank account cash, the pickup,property was already in her name, he had photos of him signing the will with the lawyer and witness stood behind him,apparently after the Doctor had signed the death certificate and the police had done their bit there were no problems,he paid twelve thousand for his will,so I'm told,you can do one of your own,but, you would need two good witness,also I'm told if you are 'legally' married doing your own will is much simpler,can be downloaded from the Internet.

That is interesting.  Gave the daughter 100 baht.  So everyone knows he didn't forget about her and gave her what he wanted.  Nice touch.