Where to meet new friends in Chiang Mai ?

Muggi1968

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like Chiang Mai, first there 25 years ago, would like to know it better. But now, you've got to find out how to avoid heavily touristed areas, and be concerned about the the crazy winter-spring air pollution - I've been there when Beijing's air was safer.  

Cheers

On 11/27/2017 at 3:30 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

I believe there is an expat club. Might be a place to start.

Otherwise there is a potential friend of either gender in any bar in C M.

There is an ex Pat Club, but its full of Tories !  :laugh:

Edited by Acemaker

1st & 3rd Friday of the month the Chiang Mai Expats gather for a buffet breakfast at Rivermarket Restaurant. Good breakfast and a chance to meet new people from around the globe. If you wish, sit at the newcomers table and ask questions about anything Chiang Mai. Folks here visiting, some live here part of the year and others of us live here full time. You can get answers about immigration, insurance, cost of housing, transportation, health, etc.

On 11/28/2017 at 2:27 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

There isn't a place where people do things I like to do in C M :smile:. I like ballroom dancing, square dancing, rock and roll dancing, ukulele bands among other such uncool past times. I'd even settle for a bit of taxi dancing, but google informs me of no such in the most boring tourist city in all of Thailand.

There's definitely a Latin (Salsa/Bachata) dancing group in CM. Quite a big one.

https://www.facebook.com/Salsa-Bachata-Chiangmai-1031552873538894/

Edited by MaeJoMTB

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 8:21 PM, chingmai331 said:

Join the big, big crowd, 'beachlovers', of bored people who live in CM, and every other city in the world.  If anyone expects others to solve life's problems, boredom and trouble arises.

I was specifically replying to Bill97. I'm aware that my boredom will never be solved by others.

I have other interests to compensate for loss of dancing.

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 9:43 AM, Bill97 said:

You are in the wrong place, why don't you move like you said you would some months ago? Then be happy.

Sent from my iPod touch using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I don't move for reasons that have nothing to do with my preferred activities. I'm always hoping to move to somewhere more desirable, like a nice beach, but it's just not possible for a while. Perhaps middle of next year.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

True, but life dealt me a bad hand and I'm in limbo at present. Hopefully next year on Phangan instead.

Feel for you. Had a bad deal too and Chiang Mai has not been my best choice to move to. But unfortunately we don't have a crystal ball to tell future.

1 hour ago, Dazinoz said:

Feel for you. Had a bad deal too and Chiang Mai has not been my best choice to move to. But unfortunately we don't have a crystal ball to tell future.

I only came to CM for a 2 week holiday (during a difficult divorce), that was nearly 10 years ago, didn't bother to go back for the divorce, let them get on with it while I was getting drunk and chasing hookers. It's a great place!

8 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

1st & 3rd Friday of the month the Chiang Mai Expats gather for a buffet breakfast at Rivermarket Restaurant. Good breakfast and a chance to meet new people from around the globe. If you wish, sit at the newcomers table and ask questions about anything Chiang Mai. Folks here visiting, some live here part of the year and others of us live here full time. You can get answers about immigration, insurance, cost of housing, transportation, health, etc.

I had a certain social life, but thought that the Expats would fill in the lacking parts.  So trooped down one Saturday morning.  Nancy was too busy selling her Christmas dinner and the other lady, whilst pleasant, just told me to get a cuppa.  I sat all alone for 40 minutes, like a duck out of water.  Nobody was interested in a newcomer.  I have never gone back.  I was NOT shown any newcomer's table.

Edited by Gillyflower

11 minutes ago, Gillyflower said:

I had a certain social life, but thought that the Expats would fill in the lacking parts.  So trooped down one Saturday morning.  Nancy was too busy selling her Christmas dinner and the other lady, whilst pleasant, just told me to get a cuppa.  I sat all alone for 40 minutes, like a duck out of water.  Nobody was interested in a newcomer.  I have never gone back.  I was NOT shown any newcomer's table.

That's a sad but real part of clubs where everyone knows each other. I've been to various clubs where I was basically ignored so either just never went back or gave up after a few tries. Often someone will make a token effort to greet one, but it is just that, a token without any real interest in involving the stranger. Most people just too engrossed with their pals to bother.

I went to a Pattaya expats club meeting and never went back.

1 hour ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I only came to CM for a 2 week holiday (during a difficult divorce), that was nearly 10 years ago, didn't bother to go back for the divorce, let them get on with it while I was getting drunk and chasing hookers. It's a great place!

You were lucky to liberate sufficient funds to chase hookers. I wasn't so lucky.

1 hour ago, Gillyflower said:

Why  did you not go and say hello to anyone ?

9 minutes ago, BuddyDean said:

Old enough to not get prosecuted by the NGOs; young enough to get persecuted by the femidykes on bikes.

As you seem to be proud of having a young girlfriend, Im surprised that you don t take her to a CEC's meeting to show her off to all the older fat people there

17 hours ago, Gillyflower said:

This must have happened at least a couple years ago.  In March 2016 CEC did an extensive member survey and this type of comment came up several times -- about newcomers not feeling welcome.  Thus, the "Newcomers Committee" was formed and I think you'll find an entirely different vibe toward newbies if you return.   At the Friday morning breakfasts, there is a special "Newcomer's Section", where newbies can sit with members of the committee who are eager to chat and at the Saturday morning General Meetings, the committee members make a point to chat with newcomers ahead of the meeting and sit with them at special newcomers tables during the meeting.  

This way, the CEC members who say they "have enough friends" can stay in their little cliques and not be bothered, but the many people who do want to make new friends and welcome newcomers have formed a nice committee to create a welcoming venue for first timers.  The meetings are big, usually with at least 100 people, so there's room to have something for everyone.

25 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not everyone is as confident as you appear to be.

Yes, we are not all extroverts who will go and talk to all and sundry. Some of us are quite shy in situations like this. I would probably not go at all if I didn't go with a friend. Nothing worse than standing around alone, feeling a right tool, but too shy to introduce yourself. 

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

Yes, we are not all extroverts who will go and talk to all and sundry. Some of us are quite shy in situations like this. I would probably not go at all if I didn't go with a friend. Nothing worse than standing around alone, feeling a right tool, but too shy to introduce yourself. 

As you're a shy person, I would suggest Loi Kroh road as a place to meet new friends.

Bar girls solve so many foreigner problems at little cost, and far more fun than an expats club full of old people.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

43 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

As you're a shy person, I would suggest Loi Kroh road as a place to meet new friends.

Bar girls solve so many foreigner problems at little cost, and far more fun than an expats club full of old people.

555555....yes those girls are experts at being your friend.  They'll look after you as soon as you walk in, listen to your life story, drink with you, laugh at your silly jokes, and even call you a "hansum man."  They're also easy on the eyes.  Maybe that's where the OP's at, making lots of new friends.  That's why he hasn't returned to his own thread. 

6 hours ago, NancyL said:

This must have happened at least a couple years ago.  In March 2016 CEC did an extensive member survey and this type of comment came up several times -- about newcomers not feeling welcome.  Thus, the "Newcomers Committee" was formed and I think you'll find an entirely different vibe toward newbies if you return.   At the Friday morning breakfasts, there is a special "Newcomer's Section", where newbies can sit with members of the committee who are eager to chat and at the Saturday morning General Meetings, the committee members make a point to chat with newcomers ahead of the meeting and sit with them at special newcomers tables during the meeting.  

This way, the CEC members who say they "have enough friends" can stay in their little cliques and not be bothered, but the many people who do want to make new friends and welcome newcomers have formed a nice committee to create a welcoming venue for first timers.  The meetings are big, usually with at least 100 people, so there's room to have something for everyone.

Thank you Nancy I will.  It's not that I particularly want new friends, it's just that I want to chat, serious or not, and spend a pleasant hour or so.  

Edited by Gillyflower