Thailand may collect tolls on foreign automobiles entering the country when the region become a single market

webfact

4 minutes ago, hanuman2543 said:

Ever been to Germany? No toll, no speed limit and first class "Autobahn" and other roads.

In Germany my friend there are certain portions of the Autobahn that have speed limits, and that's where many a tourist gets caught...including your humble forum interlocutor ! :sleep:

5 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

In Germany my friend there are certain portions of the Autobahn that have speed limits, and that's where many a tourist gets caught...including your humble forum interlocutor ! :sleep:

I am quite sure that the speed limit signs were clearly visible and if you choose to ignore them you are subject to a fine like German people too. In principal there is no speed limit in Germany on the "Autobahn".

Edited by hanuman2543

7 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Never heard of foreign cars not paying the toll fares anywhere in the world...so this will be absolutely normal if Thailand requires foreign vehicles to participate.

In Europe don't pay for use of foreign roads, tolls are only collected when everybody has to pay the tolls to use a certain road/highway.

Only Switzerland lets foreigners pay toll by means of the toll vignet they have to buy at the border crossing (or before).

7 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Never heard of foreign cars not paying the toll fares anywhere in the world...so this will be absolutely normal if Thailand requires foreign vehicles to participate.

Some EU-countries...:whistling:

11 minutes ago, hanuman2543 said:

I am quite sure that the speed limit signs were clearly visible and if you choose to ignore them you are subject to a fine like German people too. In principal there is no speed limit in Germany on the "Autobahn".

Not a question of ignoring them but just a matter that is is confusing as speed limit is not universally applied by law in germany, some portions of the ABahn have a recommended limit of 130 km/h that is not always mentioned. However to make this short, speed limits do exist in certain parts of german highways and it is not a country with no speed limit as you initially mentioned in your post # 60 something. Thank you.

6 hours ago, jonclark said:

1.5 baht per kilometer - isn't that the rate you get charged in a taxi after the 37 baht fee?  So your car becomes a personal taxi meter once you enter Thailand?? Wonder if it charges at 2 baht a minute when stuck in traffic like a taxi also? 

I will be very surprised if this ever works - installing GPS on cars entering the country - I mean most of the CCTV cameras don't work and that is pretty basic tech in a stationary object a, so i cannot see something more complex and highly mobile getting very far. 

500 baht for bring a car in job done - why make it needlessly complex and expensive to set up. A one off fee requires minimal investment in administration and paperwork and is much more efficient. 

You are totally correct with the "one off" fee...but as you probably know that sort of idea requires "thinking"...and this simply doesnt happen in Thailand

32 minutes ago, hanuman2543 said:

At one time they did have signs that could be folded, hinged in the middle to change from no limit to whatever limit. Just had to keep your eyes open. One day no limit, unhinge, drop the top half down 120 showed.

Long time ago before the overhead gantries etc.

As I understand... and I might be wrong.. It is pretty costly already to take a car over the border. Isnt that what the money you pay there are for...? If they go through with this... They have to scrap that tax over the border.. Or will they try to take both...?

Insane..

C

7 hours ago, khwaibah said:

Saudi Arabia/Bahrain no toll. USA/Canada/Mexico no toll.

I can only speak for the USA. We don't charge tolls to enter the country, yet, but with the stupidity and greed of the current administration it is a possibility. Perhaps a toll for muslims may be in the works 555. Many states are using toll roads and toll lanes more & more often. 

8 hours ago, Ricardo said:

I wonder if one might get a discount, for using specially-designated high-in-potholes routes, and how those might be distinguished from the rest of the Thai road-network ? :whistling:

Perhaps foreign aircraft might similarly pay an increased-toll, coming over here, and excessively-wearing-out Thai runways ? :shock1:

It may be unknown to you, but all airlines using airports anywhere in the world pay for the usage.

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

At one time they did have signs that could be folded, hinged in the middle to change from no limit to whatever limit. Just had to keep your eyes open. One day no limit, unhinge, drop the top half down 120 showed.

Long time ago before the overhead gantries etc.

How long ago because I can't remember signs like this for the last 50 years? I am a German BTW.

2 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Not a question of ignoring them but just a matter that is is confusing as speed limit is not universally applied by law in germany, some portions of the ABahn have a recommended limit of 130 km/h that is not always mentioned. However to make this short, speed limits do exist in certain parts of german highways and it is not a country with no speed limit as you initially mentioned in your post # 60 something. Thank you.

"While parts of the autobahns and many other freeway-style highways have posted limits up to 130 km/h (81 mph) based on accident experience, congestion and other factors, many rural sections have no general speed limit"

Isn't that what we call " common sense".

One more time: The German Autobahn has no speed limits, part can have limits for  the above mentioned reasons.

Edited by hanuman2543

Great post, all the usual questions spring to mind, how are you going to collect it? Who will install and pay for the GPS? Who will track the GPS? What percentage will make it to actual road improvements...2% or is that too optimistic ? Will they issue a ticket, or will the police set up road blocks to charge again and again and again ? I see a great chance here to sell the Government an easily installed, returnable GPS system, which is handed back on departure and requires absolutely NOT a great big central monitoring system tracking the vehicles that is costly to set up and requires thousands of employees....I even have a prototype

fake.jpg

It's all about Money again ,,just Greed,,Why make a system that every worker is registered with their ID card on any job and collect some %  tax from EVERY person who is in the workforce.They would collect Billions ,as for now hardly anyone is paying Tax.This would also be a greet help for a Decent Welfare system.  :wai:

7 hours ago, hanuman2543 said:

How long ago because I can't remember signs like this for the last 50 years? I am a German BTW.

I only remember a few in the Hanover area in the 70's. They were folded up from the middle so they were like the top half of a circle. I was told at the time they could be be unfolded to show temporary restrictions on that particular road

16 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

"In the second phase, between the fourth and seventh years of implementation, Wilairat said a GPS system would be installed on foreign vehicles to track their locations and routes."

Hmm...who pays for this then?

Hows about reading the pedometer when the car comes into Thailand, read it again as it goes out, subtract one from the other, multiply by 1.5. Job done. Or is that too easy.

What happened to all these free trade agreements that they are all talking about.  All wars since time began have really been about trade.  Ancient Egypt and Rome, the Spanish Armada, Napoleon’s Wars (lots) up to WW1 And WW2.  When you start putting a tax on imports and exports which is still big time in spite of all the fillabusting that goes on, world wide, this only serves to create hostility.

16 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

"In the second phase, between the fourth and seventh years of implementation, Wilairat said a GPS system would be installed on foreign vehicles to track their locations and routes."

Hmm...who pays for this then?

Tolls on highways? 

27 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Hows about reading the pedometer when the car comes into Thailand, read it again as it goes out, subtract one from the other, multiply by 1.5. Job done. Or is that too easy.

it is called an ODOMETER......and this can be put back to zero...so how can THEY work out how many K's a vehicle does......you have an odometer in your white Toyota pick up!!

18 hours ago, webfact said:

On Monday, the transportation officials proposed a plan to charge cars driving into the country in order to get funding for road maintenance.

Just like all airflight passengers who pay an extra fee now for "security" but there still is NOT a well trained armed securityguard to be seen on the Thai airports. On other asian airports you see them everywhere, 24hrs nonstop....