Tourists warned to respect Thai culture - two who showed their butts at Wat Arun arrested

webfact

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't take much to become world famous (for a few minutes) these days ...

http://thebajapost.com/2017/11/29/americans-arrested-in-thailand-for-exposing-themselves-at-religious-temple/

So they were caught at the airport? I wonder if they had arrived at different times and were dressed like Mormons whether they could have boarded their flight. 

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

http://thebajapost.com/2017/11/29/americans-arrested-in-thailand-for-exposing-themselves-at-religious-temple/

So they were caught at the airport? I wonder if they had arrived at different times and were dressed like Mormons whether they could have boarded their flight. 

"Signs outside the temple ask tourists to wear modest outfits that cover their shoulders and knees."

No mention of bums. 

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

No according to the article in the LBGT weekly news their names were on an arrest/ hold list at immigration.  I'm sure even if the were wearing dresses and makeup, they still would have been caught.   And yes some get famous in five minutes for their posting on their lifestyle whilst others struggle for a decade on a making 1,000s  of posts and still live in total obscurity.

Just now, isaanbanhou said:

No according to the article in the LBGT weekly news their names were on an arrest/ hold list at immigration.  I'm sure even if the were wearing dresses and makeup, they still would have been caught.   And yes some get famous in five minutes for their posting on their lifestyle whilst others struggle for a decade on a making 1,000s  of posts and still live in total obscurity.

What a cheap shot. You shall fit right in. What an awful name too. Truly awful. 

Just now, Kadilo said:

He has a future on here. 

Providing he remembers to wear a belt when visiting temples.

So what you think these lads gonna get? I think with the press attention they will go lightly on the bum boys and show mercy to the pink pound.

Just now, Jingthing said:

A fine is perfectly fair and reasonable.

A long prison sentence or a lynching, etc. are not.

Next ... 

What about a year. Or 6 months in separate nicks. Or maybe just jailing one and fining the other.

16 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

What a cheap shot. You shall fit right in. What an awful name too. Truly awful. 

Rc2702 is a beautiful name that rolls of the tongue.  I wish I had contacted you first for advice , I'm sure you have many thoughts and feelings that you feel the need to share.  Are you an Interior Decorator or a Florist? I am sure you must be in a very creative field of work.

54 minutes ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

There has been homophobic hate spewed for two days on this thread, what did they do, steal? No they showed two chunks of flesh. Was anybody hurt? No.  Was anybody hurt when various scandals caused by Thai people driving deaths getting away with no jail?  Why no outrage are you homophobes? What was the reaction  when various monks did drugs, raped women and boys, and scandalized the  country.?

The reason as to why this thread got so many replies, is that there are numerous people defending them and numerous people who are against them .But in threads about Monks misbehaving or the carnage on the roads, most people tend to be in agreement , not many defend the Monks or the bad drivers, hence, not as many replies

3 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

What about a year. Or 6 months in separate nicks. Or maybe just jailing one and fining the other.

I don't think jail at all is a good fit for that level of offense. But that of course is up to the Thai system. As foreigners, we are subject to it. Forgetting the dislike of what they did and the toxic homophobia on display here, I think it makes sense for all foreigners to hope that all fellow foreigners will be dealt with in a reasonable way if charged with crimes here.

Another perhaps historical aspect of this case (not in a good way) might be related to the fact that they're a married couple. Of course, Thailand doesn't have legal same sex marriage, but I'm wondering if this might be the first time in Thai history that a same sex married couple were arrested together for basically the same crime. 

Just now, Jingthing said:

Another perhaps historical aspect of this case (not in a good way) might be related to the fact that they're a married couple. Of course, Thailand doesn't have legal same sex marriage, but I'm wondering if this might be the first time in Thai history that a same sex married couple were arrested together for basically the same crime. 

Its more irrelevant, than "historical ".

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

These married dudes are just two married dudes that obviously didn't understand the culture here. Often, tourists don't. 

What culture is that? Thai culture changes as the situation dictates (sometimes with a monetary gift attached). Buddism in Thailand is a mile wide but only an inch deep; held together by the indroctrination of kids. One of the greediest and hypocritical countries a-going. 

6 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

There has been homophobic hate spewed for two days on this thread, what did they do, steal? No they showed two chunks of flesh. Was anybody hurt? No.  Was anybody hurt when various scandals caused by Thai people driving deaths getting away with no jail?  Why no outrage are you homophobes? What was the reaction  when various monks did drugs, raped women and boys, and scandalized the  country.?

Why are the old geezers here not doing 25 pages of outrage?( Hate , bigotry and homophobia I say)

This is just another dumb stunt. Like doing Yoga (naked?) at a temple, like a "Apsara" model topless with her hairy bush hanging out, Chinese pooping everywhere, riding Mountain bikes on Wat Umong in Chiang Mai and all the rest.

And yes, I am staggered that this thread is still open. 

39 minutes ago, sklmeeera said:

Just because many Thais do not honour their culture ie practice Buddhism does not mean that 2 uncouth American homos can come here and disrespect it .

How are they disrespecting it? I ask you what is more disrespectful, showing a botty miles away from a wat or Thais wandering about temples with 'Beer Chang' on their tops?

Just a big joke; just like Thailand itself!!

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

You leave no stonewall upturned in your mean spirited agenda to attack gay people.

These married dudes are just two married dudes that obviously didn't understand the culture here. Often, tourists don't. 

They don't represent gay people. They represent themselves.

I did find it an interesting twist that they have a legal problem now in Thailand in a country that doesn't recognize that they are married.

you are 100% right, they don,t represent gay people. 

12 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Just a big joke; just like Thailand itself!!

You fail to understand Thailand big time dude . There are some things that are NOT considered a joke here religion and royalty being two of them . You better try to understand this for your own good .

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I fail to see how it matters in the slightest. They were simply messing about, not making any kind of political statement. There is no need to make any more of this almost non-story than there actually is.

Archived