Tourists warned to respect Thai culture - two who showed their butts at Wat Arun arrested

webfact

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

"Mooning" is exactly what they were doing. A popular activity for rugby clubs and stag parties everywhere. Stupid, disrespectful but hardly the crime of the century!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Don't think anyone is saying it's crime of the century.

It's a stupid act and disrespects the beliefs of many Thai people.

I walk around the house butt naked at times, at my age not a pretty sight I'll admit ?, but, I of course wouldn't do it at a friends house or the local Wat.

Fine them for the disrepect/insult and blacklist them for 2 or 3 years just to spread the message when they get home.

No need for jail time or some of the extreme punishments some posters advocate.

1 minute ago, overherebc said:

Don't think anyone is saying it's crime of the century.

It's a stupid act and disrespects the beliefs of many Thai people.

I walk around the house butt naked at times, at my age not a pretty sight I'll admit ?, but, I of course wouldn't do it at a friends house or the local Wat.

Fine them for the disrepect/insult and blacklist them for 2 or 3 years just to spread the message when they get home.

No need for jail time or some of the extreme punishments some posters advocate.

I agree.

But sometimes a 'devils advocate" gets people thinking/commenting. :coffee1:

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

"Mooning" is exactly what they were doing. A popular activity for rugby clubs and stag parties everywhere. Stupid, disrespectful but hardly the crime of the century!

popular perhaps, but in the usa in some places can 

require registering for life as a sex offender.  and now

with pc zero tolerance, teenagers are getting criminal

records that will follow them for life......for mooning.

would these two do it back home?

In most cases, a first indecent exposure conviction subjects you to misdemeanor penalties of up to six (6) months in county jail and a fine of up to one thousand dollars ($1,000).3 A second offense is a felony and can lead to a California state prison sentence.

But perhaps worst of all...a Penal Code 314 PC conviction subjects you to a minimum ten (10) year duty to register as a register as a Tier one California sex offender. (California Senate Bill 384 recently created a three-tier sex registration system that reduced the registration requirement for indecent exposure to ten (10) years. It used to be for life.)

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Read the thread, I've twice given examples of times I've seen people mooning.

Showing your arse has absolutely nothing to do with sexual orientation.

As for reporting the facts, the sexual orientation of these idiots has nothing to do with the story and is therefore an irrelevancy. 

"As for reporting the facts, the sexual orientation of these idiots has nothing to do with the story and is therefore an irrelevancy."

No offence but since on the picture they hold each other hand it was not so hard to guess...and by the way maybe a little less irrelevant :smile: 

2 hours ago, hobz said:

Why? Is this type of disrespect a priority issue for Thai society? Does it affect your every day life somehow?

I thought examples needed to be set when there was a big problem, like i dont know, drunk driving or corruption.

Who said it has to be a priority? Do you think it will take away precious resources from the fight against drunk driving and corruption? What negative effects are you imagining?

They are going around the world showing disrespect to local sights and spiritually important places, and for that it's my firm belief that they deserve to be made an example of, lest other people get the idea that this is OK behavior.

If you feel differently, I couldn't care less.

1 hour ago, lvr181 said:

"A message to who?"

Other disrespectful cretins.

A message to who ??

Easy. People who visit other countries and fail to make themselves aware of the laws and customs in the country they visit. That goes both ways by the way, not just these two pratts but all people who visit other countries. Different countries have different laws, customs and standards and it's up to the visitor/visitors to make themselves aware of them.

People like these two, if they weren't pulled up for this, would spread the word at home that you can walk about showing your ass everywhere and we would end up with other d-ck heads trying to do it in the middle of Tesco Lotus somewhere in Thailand.

Catch my drift?????

popular pastime, last few years in cambodia.

google "naked tourist angkar wat" or "ride

naked cambodia"

here's one

Crawford Brown, 24, a student from the University of the West of Scotland, spent the weekend in jail after being pulled over by police for riding naked. 

Police also caught 22-year-old Catarina Aarnio, from Finland, and Italian Giancarlo Allocca, 30, travelling naked with Mr Brown. 

R

12 hours ago, Get Real said:

Hope they put them in for about 10 years. Must be the price for such stupidity and ignorance believing that their butts are more important than a countries history and religion.

Jail won't be a place they would like to 'show their ass' so freely either...........Bubba likes to take advantage of those situations............might serve them right.  two 38 year old kids!!!!

12 hours ago, kalbo123 said:

lot's of people overreacting, as if Thai take their religion so seriously.

people on holidays do silly things this is one of them nothing to worry about.

Ask the two idiots now under arrest if it was nothing to worry about.

I am still wondering how they get caught.. Did they post on fb or something similar ?

Anyway, twice silly, for taking the pics, and for getting caught.

Jail seems over the top, i think a heavy fine should be enough.

After all, people are flocking to Thailand also because of its tolerant attitude, and those guys didn't kill anybody.

48 minutes ago, ravip said:

From that link ...

Signs outside the temple ask tourists to wear modest outfits that cover their shoulders and knees.

Signs need to be more specific.

Archived