ก เอ๋ย ก ไก่

tgeezer

This will probably go nowhere but I want to take a look at ก ไก่ books again. I know that many people must feel that it is far too childish but do consider that these words are the first formal contact that Thai people have with their language and many of those whom we meet still use it. Also it provides common ground for discussion especially for people who are looking for a direction in their study.

The next word from ก ไก่ book is ไข่ of course. Unlike a chicken, ไข่ can ‘do’ nothing so the rhyme describes where ไข่ is found, ในเล้า then what to do with them, เก็บเอามากิน followed by their value คุณค่าโปรตีน then it goes on to describe what we will experience as a result อร่อยลิ้นนักเชียว

So from just two letters in the alphabet a great deal is learnt.

C, dear C for chicken, going out scratching around to reveal things in the earth such as worms and insects, for a living.

E for eggs in the nest gather them up and eat, protein is benificial and extremely tasty.

What is learnt.

The word of endearment: เอ๋ย

The nouns: ไก่, ไข่, ดิน, หนอน, แมลง, เล้า, คุณค่า, โปรตีน,

Verbs: ออกไป, หากิน, คุ้ยเขี่ย, ตาม,เก็บเอา, มา,

Descriptive words: อร่อยลิ้นนักเชียว

One conjunction: และ

Plus some idea on how to use these words.

Hopefully my translations will excite criticism and discussion which should conclude with agreement that translations are not necessary.

How about ตามดืน? I think that it is an adverb. How about ตามถนน, put ข่าย as the verb. I am confident that ข่ายตามถนน will be understood as ‘selling things in the street’.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

It is over two weeks since I posted this and a few people read it but no comments.
The excuse given to justify not learning to read Thai is "I only want to learn conversational Thai".
If I write "pom ork pie ha gin" does it attract you more than ผมออกไปหากิน? If so then carry on, ignore me.

I can certainly see that the familiarity of the letters makes the task of learning seem less daunting and if you have a good ear and a photographic memory may be enough but it isn't for everybody.
For those like me who want to be able to self study, need notes and who want to use that rich resource of leaning, the Thai people themselves, I once again offer these examples of conversational Thai.

1. I will go to work to get some money to live.
2. I need to go out to work in order to live.
3. He is diligent and works well.
4. He is a lazy son of a bitch.
5. Put the bottles on the shelf.
6. Hang your shirt on the wall.
7. I like this food very much indeed.
8. I sympathise with his situation.
You can learn to say these and many more in a very short time, no more than a month probably, from learning the consonants and vowels initially, then study of the first six letters of the Thai alphabet.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I have noticed your frustration in your posts that people are not responding. It is unclear to me, though, what it is you are asking. I assumed you are asking people interested in the ก. เอย ก. ไก่ poem to join you in dissecting it? Is that correct? I didn't respond because I don't know the full poem, and don't have time right now to learn it. ..but I enjoy reading your posts when I have time.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Thank you so much for the encouragement.
Both posts show how much can be learnt from a source which is eschewed by most people. Books in English make things far too complicated I think and are changing Thai.
I list the vocabulary which can be learnt from the first few letters and I conclude by asking if we can take the pattern คุ้ยเขี่ยตามดิน “digging following earth” and apply it to another more relevant situation. ขายของตามถนน ‘street trading’
The second post suggests that what some people think difficult to express is actually quite simple in Thai.
For example:
1.ผมจะไปหากิน
Could generate discussion because why not use ทำงาน?
I understand that without the book it is difficult, the pictures say so much in some case. If people don’t have the book I am being unreasonable in expecting them to be as enthusiastic as I am.

I think I did mention that คุ้ยเขี่ย could be used in the abstract sense to dig up a story just as it can in English.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Archived