Foreigners confused by the sight of knives and machetes on sale at Chaeng Wattana immigration, says Thai media

snoop1130

Foreigners confused by the sight of knives and machetes on sale at Chaeng Wattana immigration, says Thai media

a2_180.jpg

Thai media said that "farangs were confused" after seeing knives on open sale just meters from the immigration offices at the Government Complex on Chaeng Wattana Road in Bangkok.

Kapook published a story from Workpoint News that was based on a westerner's Facebook post.

Zachery Sullivan posted his apparent confusion on in the Everything Bangkok Facebook group: "When entering the government building they X-ray your bag and you pass through a metal detector - but once inside you can buy a huge-A*S machete".

faf.jpg

He was referring to the security at the cavernous building in northern Bangkok that houses the main immigration center for the city.

Kapook reported that inside at a sales show advertising "Good things from all over Thailand" were two shops selling large knives as seen in our picture. 

Their headline reported that "farang" were "ngong" (perplexed or confused). 

Thaivisa thinks it might be the hacks in the Thai media who are confused by this one!

Source:  https://hilight.kapook.com/view/164362

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-11-29

45 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

knives and machetes

Knives and machetes and even guns are the  required tools of trade for Thai road rage. People should not be denied the opportunity to protect and defend themselves. 

4 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

Knives and machetes and even guns are the  required tools of trade for Thai road rage. People should not be denied the opportunity to protect and defend themselves. 

Yes it can be a stressful ride back into town after a trip there. It's also an incentive for the taxi drivers to hang around and do a bit of shopping. 

I have a few of those things.  On a visit once, a baggage screener at the airport was surprised by my heavy bag.  He wondered if it was filled with iron.  Yep, about 50 pounds of machetes and old farm tools (sis-in-law is a junk dealer). 

Machetes.jpg.55d6897c46e56003377c32699ae3399a.jpg

'Farangs' confused? I'd like to think there'd be some locals confused too. What's the point of the metal detectors? When I went I had stainless steel pens in my bag. Didn't notice anything go off and no one asked to look in my bag. They did ask for my missus to show her ID and sign in. She could have just as easily spoke Vietnamese (yes, she speaks Vietnamese) then English to fake her way in and pretend she's not Thai. 

What's that? It's all just for show? Let's just hope no downtrodden citizen buys one of those knives and goes off his nut at a certain department in there. But until that happens, no need to worry. 

6 minutes ago, joebrown said:

I understand your humour but I think it's illegal to carry such a weapon in a car. It can be classified as an offensive weapon by the police. 

Anything can become an offensive weapon, anything.

2 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

Why should these little snowflake farang be surprised?

They aren't in Kansas now Toto, eh?

I don't think the facebook poster was  a 'snowflake' and offended or shocked by the sale of weapons...he was pointing out the stupidity of screening people for weapons at the entrance of the building and then selling weapons inside the same building. :saai:

12 minutes ago, SABloke said:

I don't think the facebook poster was  a 'snowflake' and offended or shocked by the sale of weapons...he was pointing out the stupidity of screening people for weapons at the entrance of the building and then selling weapons inside the same building. :saai:

well you call them weapons but they aren't being sold for that purpose

Well...You can't bring your own candy and drinks into a movie theater and you

cant bring in your own weapons into a mall if they are available on sale inside.

Quite simple really.  :tongue: