Two American tourists fined 5000 Baht for 'butt selfie' at Thai temple

webfact

In any sane country, and on any sane online forum, if there was such a thing, these two silly twits would be fined a few hundred Baht, shamed in public for their idiocy and sent on their way. Calls for heavy fines, imprisonment, the death penalty, immigration bans and hanging, drawing and quartering are simply ridiculous.

However, we live in the era now of internet outrage, where the slightest public transgression can be photographed and posted on online within seconds, and before you know it there's a campaign to ruin a person's life for something which, twenty-five years ago, would have attracted almost no notice whatever.

Is this progress?

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

You know this was kind of a "funny" news story for awhile, but now that it's been reported they might face YEARS in prison on multiple serious charges, this isn't a joke anymore.

Good thing they didn't do this in Saudi Arabia.

I don't think anyone will argue that this wasn't a stupid thing to do, but Thailand ALWAYS over reacts and opts for draconian punishments when a simple fine would suffice.Literally EVERY legal infractions has penalties attached that are completely out of proportion to the offense.

20 minutes ago, Bill Miller said:

It is not my fault that you are unable or too lazy to read the thread, otherwise you would know and not display your ignorance for all yo see... rather like the "butt brothers".

"Meet the DaSilva husband and wife team from California.

Try to avoid them now you know what they look like.

And dont drop anything if you are around them"

There are several like posts in this thread, with the ill educated calling them "fags" and "queers". The first posting on the subject was just as judgemental.

Your snark about "gaydar" only serves to em,phasize your lack of perception.

No need to shout at us.

16 hours ago, gbswales said:

I still wonder why in the 21st century that we still consider parts of the human body to be disgusting or offensive - I also find it hard to understand why religion still exists, but that is a whole other issue.

So you think that if someone wants to expose their penis in front of some schoolchildren, that should be allowed?

Of course not - so there are boundaries.

One of those, is not climbing half way up a famous religious landmark and dropping your shorts for a 'fun' picture.

I certainly would have had a word with them if I'd been there with my kids. Absolutely no class that pair. No consideration for others whatsoever. Well - they do now of course, they are learning what 99% of humanity already knows - just the hard way.

16 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

No need to shout at us.

Who is us, and who is shouting?
I copied and pasted the comment as it exists. "Shouting" is usually in reference to people who comment in all capital letters.
As for "us", I only shoot at those who I think are showing their butts. :sorry:

2 hours ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

In any sane country, and on any sane online forum, if there was such a thing, these two silly twits would be fined a few hundred Baht, shamed in public for their idiocy and sent on their way. Calls for heavy fines, imprisonment, the death penalty, immigration bans and hanging, drawing and quartering are simply ridiculous.

However, we live in the era now of internet outrage, where the slightest public transgression can be photographed and posted on online within seconds, and before you know it there's a campaign to ruin a person's life for something which, twenty-five years ago, would have attracted almost no notice whatever.

Is this progress?

Yes, and very relevantly, I read a report of a similar exposure crime at the famous ancient temples in Cambodia where two sisters got naked there. They were fined 250 dollars, banned for life, but allowed to leave the country without a long jail term or lynching.

4 hours ago, oldlakey said:

If you have a need to shove your sexual orientation into others peoples faces, so to speak one must expect real trouble in some countries, not once but twice in Thailand

This was not a couple of jack the lads pulling a little holiday stunt now was it

To end on a serious note, I think they should be introduced to a pair of Iron Maidens after spending some time inside them I am sure they will leave Thailand with a different impression or two

What a bizarre post.

These men are married to each other.

How could they not share their sexual orientation?

Their butt stunt was their butt stunt. It didn't have a sexual orientation. Any two people, males or otherwise, could have done so (and also should NOT have done so).

Aha, I see you are "seriously" suggesting they be tortured to DEATH. Your suggestion is massively more disgusting and offensive than what they did. SICK!

Edited by Jingthing

2 hours ago, USPatriot said:

I wonder how many times they said.. butt I am an American 

It is common for more naive Americans to think they have a special shield around them while traveling abroad. The delusion of "American exceptionalism" and all that. They may get this from Fox News type propaganda that occasionally focuses on extraordinary efforts to help some rare particular Americans in trouble abroad that fails to say the truth, that in most cases, the U.S. government can't really do anything (if they even care to try). 

Edited by Jingthing

1 minute ago, JimmyJ said:

2500 per cheek? Or is there a premium for only flashing one?

Also, was the 5k per a special of some kind?

2 for 1 November special?

Maybe keep up with the news.

They're in detention and facing the possibility of two very serious charges (computer related and religious related) that each carry the possibility of YEARS in prison. Not so FUNNY, huh?

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

They're in detention and facing the possibility of two very serious charges (computer related and religious related) that each carry the possibility of YEARS in prison. Not so FUNNY, huh?

if you commit the crime

be prepared to do the time

9 minutes ago, AGareth2 said:

if you commit the crime

be prepared to do the time

A call from the Don would be appropriate here. A terse mobile word to Ch-o-ch and this would all be history sooner than yesterday's butt wind. This couple would be re-inbursed their 5k and wished 'bon voyage' butt with a gentle warning "your Pres got you out of stook this time,,,,,,, ."

59 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

A call from the Don would be appropriate here. A terse mobile word to Ch-o-ch and this would all be history sooner than yesterday's butt wind. This couple would be re-inbursed their 5k and wished 'bon voyage' butt with a gentle warning "your Pres got you out of stook this time,,,,,,, ."

Cute but that definitely is not going to happen. 

30 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Cute but that definitely is not going to happen. 

Well perhaps it should. Someone should kick these Thai authoritarian, bombastic, incorrigible, religious nuts into touch. Just typical Thai; don't want to see the wood for the trees. All the things that should be done for Thailand's betterment and they over-react like this. Get Miss Pinky on the case too!

Edited by owl sees all

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

I think they might need it

4 hours ago, Bill Miller said:

It is not my fault that you are unable or too lazy to read the thread, otherwise you would know and not display your ignorance for all yo see... rather like the "butt brothers".

"Meet the DaSilva husband and wife team from California.

Try to avoid them now you know what they look like.

And dont drop anything if you are around them"

There are several like posts in this thread, with the ill educated calling them "fags" and "queers". The first posting on the subject was just as judgemental.

Your snark about "gaydar" only serves to em,phasize your lack of perception.

Or perhaps it’s that I just take people to be people, and don’t rush around with an overweening desire to judge.... and start slapping labels on all and sundry...... many thanks for pointing out the impropriety of posters making free with opinions that you don’t like.

keep up the good work

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

My mistake - I definitely was not up with the latest on this. Years in prison definitely not funny.

Thought they only had the small fine to pay.

1 minute ago, JimmyJ said:

My mistake - I definitely was not up with the latest on this. Years in prison definitely not funny.

Thought they only had the small fine to pay.

No worries. Probably most people don't know yet how serious this might be for the couple. But BIG WORRIES for them.

If this story has taught me anything, it's that mob mentality is very much alive and very much a scary thing. How people go nuts over some things and choose to ignore others. I mean really - prison? Look at the number of views and the number of vitriolic comments. 

I had the misfortune to have a beer with another foreigner the other night who I discovered was clearly full of anger and hate. The kind of guy who tells you about something to use it as an excuse to be angry. But really his attention is somewhere else. It started off well until he mentioned this story. As I do with any story where foreigners are caught doing something wrong, I always say, "Leave it to the authorities to deal with" because when it comes to 'foreigners', you that they will. I won't waste a second worrying about it. "But it makes us look bad!", he said. Nearly foaming at the mouth. I told him that it only makes me look bad in the eyes of people I wouldn't wanna be associated with or know anyway. People like my missus, her family and my Thai friends don't think bad of me 'cos of the Americans' actions. 

There's a lot of misplaced anger out there. A lot. It's scary. People need to get their s*** in order and start to decompartmentalize things. People simply become visceral in these situations and don't try to break things down and see them for what they are. Scary. I would love people to be this passionate (not violent or threatening) when we have stories of monks having sex with kids and lying to make money, etc. And these monks can be of any colour or look. 

Even if the couple's mistake does make some people (IRRATIONALLY) dislike ALL Americans or ALL gay men or ALL foreigners (expats and tourists) in Thailand more I don't see how that should impact on the severity of their punishment. As I posted before, a similar case in Cambodia resulted in a 250 dollar fine and banning for life. Sounds reasonable. Years in prison doesn't. 

Technically, they may be chargeable with the very serious crimes.

But isn't there always discretion on whether to pursue convictions or not?

Keep in mind their intentions and ignorance.

It's pretty obvious to me their intentions were just to keep their silly instagram game going and their ignorance was obvious ... complete insensitivity to the local mores and culture. In other words, stupid and clueless but not malicious. 

Edited by Jingthing

I would have liked to have seen the guys reaction changing over the last few days .

It would have began with a "Oww oww look , we got 14 000 likes on our page"

"Owwww owwww , our post has been shared by others"

"OWWWWWWWW some people dont like it "

"Lets teach those homophobes by posting more photos , ha ha ha "

"Look, even more people have taken an interest"

"Isnt this exciting, were internet sensations"

"Some people are saying we should be prosecuted"

"We ve broken the law "

"Quick, take the photos down and lets get out of here "

"Oh dear , theres a Policeman at the airport and hes coming over to talk to us"

"Hes got his handcuffs out "

"OK , we'll pay a 5000 Baht fine"

For each photo............

Computer crimes and Religious laws have been broken

"How long in jail ?" 

16 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Scary. I would love people to be this passionate (not violent or threatening) when we have stories of monks having sex with kids and lying to make money, etc. And these monks can be of any colour or look. 

Many of the guys giving support to these guys , who are probably gay themselves , keep mentioning pedophilia and sex with children , its seems to quite a common occurrence with the people giving support to theses guys .

1 hour ago, farcanell said:

Or perhaps it’s that I just take people to be people, and don’t rush around with an overweening desire to judge.... and start slapping labels on all and sundry...... many thanks for pointing out the impropriety of posters making free with opinions that you don’t like.

keep up the good work

If one had stated an opinion, then no problem.
When one indicates complete ignorance of the facts of the matter, then one should not be surprised at being corrected. Nearly everybody else on the thread seemed to realize that these guys were gay. It was other posters. not me, who were slapping labels on them. I happen to support gay rights.
YOU are the only one making judgements here, bucko, and extremely poor ones at that.
Can you man up and admit that you missed a few points?
No, I rather doubt it.

They are indeed a gay couple.

That's obviously impacted on the public reaction here to their crime as evidenced by a plethora of over the top (and some subtle) homophobic comments.

But I actually don't think their issues now with the Thai legal system have much to do with their minority status.

They could have been two straight guys, done the same thing, with the same attitude (which makes sense to them but doesn't work in this context) and I think they would now be in similar legal jeopardy.

I don't know yet whether they will be charged and convicted with the much more serious charges carrying potential long jail sentences.

But again, I don't think it's about their being gay or not.

No, I'm not saying Thai society is especially tolerant of gay people. It's a myth that it is. 

But the consequences they are facing is about their actions and attitude, not their sexuality. 

Edited by Jingthing

28 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Many of the guys giving support to these guys , who are probably gay themselves , keep mentioning pedophilia and sex with children , its seems to quite a common occurrence with the people giving support to theses guys .