Thai govt introduces ‘Miss Pinky’ mascot of ‘unity’ who will tell you what not to do

webfact

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

''How did they come up with Miss Pinky? First off, the government views females as the “non-violent gender” while a pinky finger is a symbol of friendliness.

The big heart on the front of her dress reflects how Thai people’s hearts unite in one, according to Voice TV.''

''a pinky finger is a symbol of friendliness.''?

Since when?

Who comes up with these ideas, please tell me they don't get paid for them...

Some genius who was picking his nose one day and it just came to him.  

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Cadbury said:

Miss Pinky is a serious challenger for the top spot in the "Hall of Fame of Stupid Ideas". Most of the prime spots are presently held by TAT tourist promotion ideas. 

There is no holding back the infantility of this government. What hope has this country got of ever growing up?

Little. 

2 hours ago, JAG said:

The deputy Prime Minister has claimed that the military have nothing to do with politics...

They appear to have moved away from reality as well!

Were they ever engaged with or even near to reality?

How many MOD's can you think of who'd be involved with something like this?

36 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Were they ever engaged with or even near to reality?

How many MOD's can you think of who'd be involved with something like this?

Well, in one battalion I served in "The Teletubbies" were reputed to have a strong following in the Serjeants Mess....

That, however, may not have been unconnected with the soldiers' nickname for the RSM!

Now if we are talking MOD, well there is an uncanny resemblance to one or two of the senior civil servants I encountered in various headquarters. Some of them were remote from reality at times! I will say no more - pension to be safeguarded!

:smile:

Mind you, perhaps it is a worry, that after a long career in the military I now feel so much at home teaching primary school children!

Edited by JAG

5 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Is Miss Pinky for real? I mean is there someone inside, like a mascot, or is it just a puppet? And is there just one; or loads.

Is it a remote control thing? If so I'm sure my daughter would like one for Christmas.

Has she got any underarm or lower-leg hair?

So much intrigue!

Believe it or not, it's actually Prawit inside the costume. When he heard the PM was gonna implement the Miss Pinky idea, he begged for a shot at it. 

How bloody ridiculous this is! But I must admit it could indeed contribute to 'unity', ...among citizens having the common sense to consider it inane, pure and simple! Isn't North Korea having this kind of a puppet as a symbol of unity? When it's in my imagination, and they missed that, there might be an interesting market there for the (Chinese?) producers of the Miss Pinky puppets... 

47 minutes ago, bangrak said:

How bloody ridiculous this is! But I must admit it could indeed contribute to 'unity', ...among citizens having the common sense to consider it inane, pure and simple! Isn't North Korea having this kind of a puppet as a symbol of unity? When it's in my imagination, and they missed that, there might be an interesting market there for the (Chinese?) producers of the Miss Pinky puppets... 

This is what happens when morons who exist in a small bubble are running the show.  It's beyond insulting.  

‘Creepy’ Miss Pinky Promise mascot debuts to promote junta’s national reconciliation efforts and 'agreement for truth'

By Wasamon Audjarint 
The Nation 

df393cdac1296cc618ac1f5ecceb493d.jpeg

Maj Gen Kongcheep Tantravanich with Nong Kiew Koy upon her introduction at Defence Ministry on Wednesday

With an ear-to-ear smile, “Nong Kiew Koy”, or “Miss Pinky Promise”, became an overnight headliner after the character was introduced at the Defence Ministry as a “mascot for reconciliation” meant to heal divisions in society and politics.

“She worked a lot before she came here. She distributed leaflets and also rode on a boat,” Maj-General Kongcheep Tantravanich, a spokesperson for the government’s reconciliation building committee, apparently explaining why Nong Kiew Koy’s face showed dust marks despite the fresh debut.

“We designed her by ourselves. We didn’t hire any outsourcers to do this job. We are proud of her,” Kongcheep adding, referring to the committee’s sub-unit on public relations that he heads.

45029fcb12cfe63c5bfe3c10f3917eb5.jpg

That explained why it only cost no more than Bt10,000 to produce the mascot, as Kongcheep said, adding that they had simply added decorations to an existing costume.

The mascot’s introduction on Wednesday was met by amusement on social media, with many agreeing that her smile was more “creepy” than welcoming. “I would scream my lungs out if I saw her in the dark,” one commentator wrote.

But many online artists also created their own cute versions of Nong Kiew Koy.

59d399266bc1af9e80b20b6b7cc62e1c.jpg

Nong Kiew Koy fanart (courtesy of Facebook page Akitozan ( ・ω・) )

5f1957e5a3575307bac174fc197f5b4f.jpg

Nong Kiew Koy fanart (courtesy of Facebook page ผีแบบเนี้ยไม่น่ากลัวเลยซักนิ้ด)

The mascot’s stated job is to be a pretty, doll-like presence and handing out pamphlets, posters and pocket books to promote the so-called “agreement of truth”, which was formulated by a military-dominated committee based on talks with political and social figures.

The effort, initiated by the junta government, has been in place since the start of the year with the committee headed by Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha and including other senior military and government figures from junta-appointed bodies.

The tentative draft of the agreement includes mandates such as that people will “exercise rights and freedom appropriately by law”, “adhere to morality as an approach to living” and “learn, cooperate with and support the national strategy”. The last point refers to the 20-year, legally binding strategy the junta has formulated to steer future administrations.

But her other job is to have an active presence on the chat app Line. “Her smiling Line sticker will help cool down heated chats,” Kongcheep said. “We wish to boost reconciliation awareness at the very local level.”

b06b7f4a7ac3c8e99d18667fca034006.jpg

Despite the limited budget, the mascot’s character and decorations are redolent with symbolism. Kongcheep said its gender, depicted as female, represented “humbleness, gentleness and politeness”. 

The white colour on the mascot’s dress represented “pure power of all people to get away from conflict”, while the red represented the country as seen in the national flag, he said.

A heart on the dress also represented “the united heart of all Thai people”, Kongcheep said. Its hat is decorated with a national flag ribbon and its scarf printed with the reconciliation campaign’s official logo – five hands linked around a national flag circle.

“Her name, Pinky Promise, also means that we will turn to love each other like the old days,” Kongcheep said.

“We might have neglected parliamentary mechanisms [in the past], based on anger, and did not play by the rules,” said the spokesperson “We want to ensure the public that the reconciliation process really happens.”

a14d15f755ee8f0bb2220b14f60d9483.jpg

Nong Kiew Koy fanart (courtesy of Facebook page Pinkie Rabbit)  

72f206f51a61b3be95dd4ffedb04cc1d.jpg

Nong Kiew Koy fanart (courtesy of Facebook page GCz)

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30332895

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-12-01

The drawings, which smack of not so subtle Japanese sexual frustration anime, and photos of actual mascot puts me in mind of photo of living doll you might meet on dating site, but when meet in reality is more like living dead. Ah, ya get what cha pay for

So good. How about the police officers depicted by people dressed in super scary cuddly police officer suits. By where I live they have an advertisement that is basically a reenactment of a traffic incident but with super cute children playing the part of any adults. It is not very effective in prompting people to obey any kind of traffic laws and does kind of make a complete mockery of the police. That being said, with the number of children I see speeding around dressed in full school uniform I do not think it a bad idea to have a child police force responsible for keeping all the child drivers in check. 

Edited by ZeVonderBearz

40 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

Well, if this is what the coup ends in then i would say it was all worth it!

And they didn't even need a PR  company to help them with this, they did it all by themselves. And there I was all this time saying they were as thick as swine defecation. Shame on me.

Edited by stephen tracy

11 hours ago, bangrak said:

I was under the impression that North Korea has a Miss Pinky as leader. 

45029fcb12cfe63c5bfe3c10f3917eb5.jpg

4 hours ago, webfact said:

“We designed her by ourselves. We didn’t hire any outsourcers to do this job.”

Yup, that much is clear. You also applied her make up by yourselves.

It's actually a good thing that you generals play with dolls, the more time you spend on that the less time you have for "governing". Keep it up, there are many more idiocies you can create that don't hurt the country as much as your policies.

12 hours ago, bangrak said:

I was under the impression that North Korea has a Miss Pinky as leader.