Careless drilling creates Sukhumvit water geyser

Rimmer

Careless drilling creates Sukhumvit water geyser

image.png

PATTAYA:--A careless contractor caused a geyser to shoot into the sky on Sukhumvit Road after drilling punctured a water main.

Crew foreman Teerapong Chanasut, 35, said he was hired to lay a new water pipe to a commercial building at Soi Banglamung 9 when workers drilled through the main distribution pipe.

The result was a towering water geyser that flooded Sukhumvit and brought traffic to a halt Nov. 22. Workers quickly informed the Provincial Waterworks Authority and scrambled to plug the leak and pump out the flooded area.

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2017-12-01

That is a big one not to miss. This is supposedly a planned job, if connecting up a commercial premises, though executed without planning, duty of care or competence. An all round dead loss and lucky that nobody got hurt.

2 hours ago, Oztruckie said:

Thai work skills at there best,reminds of the time a technician at a condo run a percussion still right thru the wall into the shower recess.

Sounds like Mr Bean, the builder!!

18 minutes ago, MaxLee said:

Only in Thailand...... no plan and safety first

The usual bigoted nonsense. GIYF.

Huntington Beach contractor hits water main, flooding street

Cockney geyser:

40ft jet of water erupts in middle of busy London street

The impromptu fountain burst from the pavement after a workman accidentally drilled through a water pipe

--http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/cockney-geyser-40ft-jet-water-6338816

39 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

The usual bigoted nonsense. GIYF.

Huntington Beach contractor hits water main, flooding street

Cockney geyser:

40ft jet of water erupts in middle of busy London street

The impromptu fountain burst from the pavement after a workman accidentally drilled through a water pipe

--http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/cockney-geyser-40ft-jet-water-6338816

because events like this happen in other countries you conclude  thailand level of competency-safety is not diminished or compromised and it is just bigotry in action ???

is this true?

5 minutes ago, atyclb said:

because events like this happen in other countries you conclude  thailand level of competency-safety is not diminished or compromised and it is just bigotry in action ???

is this true?

Bigotry in action is to claim that it happens only in Thailand when in fact it isn't unusual for it to happen in other countries as well--nor do we draw conclusions about those entire countries from such an incident, only for Thailand.

1 hour ago, MaxLee said:

1 hour ago, MaxLee said:

This -- and similar things -- often happen in other countries o the world, including USA and Europe. Does it happen more often in Thailand? Maybe, but neither I nor anyone here has the metrics to prove it.

1 hour ago, JSixpack said:

if you interpret the statement in its absolute most literal form then yes it is false as such things do occur in other countries. if you interpret in a way relevant to the context of multiple recurring accidents in a country whose road death toll certainly does not bode well for safety awareness, concerns, and practices then you wont see it as bigotry. many living in thailand including thais themselves observe a general decreased level of critical thinking, organization, efficiency, competence. this is not inconsistent with poor scores on standardized international exams and data that purports the average iq is lower.   so is there actual metrics data available to show the per capita rate of drilling into water mains i do not know nor is this anything warranting a placebo controlled double blind study the likes of which are used to prove new drug safety and efficacy prior to approval.

44 minutes ago, atyclb said:

if you interpret the statement in its absolute most literal form then yes it is false as such things do occur in other countries.

Exactly. And nothing else was said in the statement. It was the basis for a blanket condemnation of Thais and therefore bigoted, as I pointed out. Bigoted nonsense.

Hence you just want to bring up irrelevancy for the usual bashing purpose and arguing for that purpose.

if you interpret in a way relevant to the context of multiple recurring accidents in a country whose road death toll certainly does not bode well for safety awareness, concerns, and practices then you wont see it as bigotry. many living in thailand including thais themselves observe a general decreased level of critical thinking, organization, efficiency, competence. this is not inconsistent with poor scores on standardized international exams and data that purports the average iq is lower.   so is there actual metrics data available to show the per capita rate of drilling into water mains i do not know nor is this anything warranting a placebo controlled double blind study the likes of which are used to prove new drug safety and efficacy prior to approval.

This has absolutely nothing do with a contractor's hitting a water main, as is not unusual anywhere. You might have a case if you discovered that hitting water mains is SO much more common in Thailand. But you haven't discovered that, as "you don't know." Are we done?

1 hour ago, JSixpack said:

Exactly. And nothing else was said in the statement. It was the basis for a blanket condemnation of Thais and therefore bigoted, as I pointed out. Bigoted nonsense.

Hence you just want to bring up irrelevancy for the usual bashing purpose and arguing for that purpose.

This has absolutely nothing do with a contractor's hitting a water main, as is not unusual anywhere. You might have a case if you discovered that hitting water mains is SO much more common in Thailand. But you haven't discovered that, as "you don't know." Are we done?

are you an english teacher?

Underground services, anywhere,  are notoriously poorly  documented, even with the advent of 3D CAD which hasn't b3n around a long time in comparison to how long stuff has been buried.  I have had to use cable finding equipment many times prior to excavation in factories 30 years old or less.  These were well documented facilities..... Not the usual local government run installations. 

Nothing new in this report.  Happens everywhere but good for a Thai bash I expect. 

8 hours ago, JSixpack said:

Bigotry in action is to claim that it happens only in Thailand when in fact it isn't unusual for it to happen in other countries as well--nor do we draw conclusions about those entire countries from such an incident, only for Thailand.

It does happen in other countries but not normally in the case where work is planned in advance, as this job in Pattaya ought to have been. They have turned a straightforward job into a nightmare.

Major water bursts generally occur when unplanned emergency work is carried out by another utility company (gas or electric).

The same utility company drilling through their own pipework is extremely rare and is down to gross incompetence. That is just a fact and not bigotry.

As mentioned by another poster, when large voltage electric cables start getting laid underground the potential for fatalities is very real unless proper safety checks are followed.

56 minutes ago, champers said:

It does happen in other countries but not normally in the case where work is planned in advance, as this job in Pattaya ought to have been. They have turned a straightforward job into a nightmare.

I gave two examples of many from a quick Google search in which the work, in the advanced USA and in a UK overflowing with extreme competence, would appear to have been planned in advance. But it just evidently wasn't. Or the plans were somehow wrong. Or (cough) the plans weren't followed. Those straightforward jobs also turned out badly.

You haven't shown that this case is "normal" in Thailand. You haven't proven the case of "ONLY" in Thailand.

Give us a list of similar cases w/ water mains. And let's compare w/ other countries.

Major water bursts generally occur when unplanned emergency work is carried out by another utility company (gas or electric).

Generally, of course, but not always and not in the cases I cited above.

The same utility company drilling through their own pipework is extremely rare and is down to gross incompetence. That is just a fact and not bigotry.

Eagerness to blame does tend conveniently to relieve one of the necessity to read the article, no? This was a contractor, not "the same utility company," which negates this point. Such was true in a case I cite above as well. Nor is the degree of incompetence in all these cases clear anyway owing to lack of details. How would you be sure that all the other cases in other countries invariably demonstrate less incompetence? Why would this Thai case, which you didn't analyze thoroughly, automatically show more incompetence than all those others that you also haven't analyzed? To claim that incompetence (if that's what it was) leading to a ruptured water main ONLY happens in Thailand IS therefore just the usual bigoted nonsense.

Edited by JSixpack

2 hours ago, JSixpack said:

I gave two examples of many from a quick Google search in which the work, in the advanced USA and in a UK overflowing with extreme competence, would appear to have been planned in advance. But it just evidently wasn't. Or the plans were somehow wrong. Or (cough) the plans weren't followed. Those straightforward jobs also turned out badly.

You haven't shown that this case is "normal" in Thailand. You haven't proven the case of "ONLY" in Thailand.

Give us a list of similar cases w/ water mains. And let's compare w/ other countries.

Generally, of course, but not always and not in the cases I cited above.

Eagerness to blame does tend conveniently to relieve one of the necessity to read the article, no? This was a contractor, not "the same utility company," which negates this point. Such was true in a case I cite above as well. Nor is the degree of incompetence in all these cases clear anyway owing to lack of details. How would you be sure that all the other cases in other countries invariably demonstrate less incompetence? Why would this Thai case, which you didn't analyze thoroughly, automatically show more incompetence than all those others that you also haven't analyzed? To claim that incompetence (if that's what it was) leading to a ruptured water main ONLY happens in Thailand IS therefore just the usual bigoted nonsense.

I didn't claim it happens ONLY in Thailand, as you pointed out yourself in the first extract of my post.

15 hours ago, JSixpack said:

Where does anybody say it only happens in Thailand?

I draw conclusion from the fact my water or electric is off multiple times a month, when that pretty much never happened in decades in my home country. Still, they get it fixed here, usually quite quickly.

9 hours ago, tryasimight said:

Underground services, anywhere,  are notoriously poorly  documented, even with the advent of 3D CAD which hasn't b3n around a long time in comparison to how long stuff has been buried.  I have had to use cable finding equipment many times prior to excavation in factories 30 years old or less.  These were well documented facilities..... Not the usual local government run installations. 

Nothing new in this report.  Happens everywhere but good for a Thai bash I expect. 

It's all about 4D now.....

16 hours ago, atyclb said:

is this true?

No. It is a measured and appropriate response to all of the TV "geniuses" who spout "...only in Thailand.." and similar BS.

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Where does anybody say it only happens in Thailand?

I draw conclusion from the fact my water or electric is off multiple times a month, when that pretty much never happened in decades in my home country. Still, they get it fixed here, usually quite quickly.

17 hours ago, MaxLee said:

Only in Thailand...... no plan and safety first
QED

Edited by Rimmer
Giant fonts

8 hours ago, champers said:

I didn't claim it happens ONLY in Thailand, as you pointed out yourself in the first extract of my post.

But you were responding to and quoted my post addressing the point of ONLY and then implied it might normally happen here as it "not normally" happens in other countries 'cause of the advance planning. It "not normally" happens in Thailand as well, you see. To imply otherwise simply adds to the bigotry I was calling out, unless perchance you have the evidence--which I invited you to present. Bash the Thai driving record vs other countries and you're on firm ground. The ruptured water main record, I don't see it.

Edited by JSixpack