Rear Stabilizer for Hilux Revo

coconut

Would anyone know the difference between a rear stabilizer Balance Arm and a rear stabilizer Space Arm ?

Have a Hilux Revo 4x4 with 3 inch lift and looking for a rear stabilizer but do not understand the difference. Which would allow better driving control ?

Different name for the same thing.  It's supposed to help stabilise the pickup you've de-stabilized by putting a lift kit on it.  

Removing the, probably, cosmetic lift kit would definitely allow better driving control.  Don't suppose you look so cool, though.

The Balance arm and the Space Arm are the same thing. They clamp onto the diff house with u-bolts and then pass around the spare wheel to the rear spring hanger and attach there, there is a sway bar that goes between the two arms in front of the spare wheel

9 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Lost in translation. Only in LOS. The rest of the world calls them sway bars, or more correctly anti sway bars.

Suspensions have changed a lot over time, they used to have sway bars fitted which were a u shaped bar, but technology now changes things

"Space Arm" is the label of the most popular (anti) sway bar/rear stabilizer kit manufactured by Apache in Thailand. It's white. SR Thailand make red ones labeled "Performance Space Arm." The shop that did the lift for the OP should be able to source this or the alternatives.

• 4 weeks later...

Sway bars on a solid rear axle do almost nothing.

As one side goes up the other side goes down.

To do any semblance of work you need independent suspension at both sides.

But people buy them - like those panhard rods with a spring on them. 555 - the bar better be solid or the rear diff will exit one side or the other of the truck.

On 12/29/2017 at 7:18 PM, canthai55 said:

Sway bars on a solid rear axle do almost nothing.

As one side goes up the other side goes down.

To do any semblance of work you need independent suspension at both sides.

But people buy them - like those panhard rods with a spring on them. 555 - the bar better be solid or the rear diff will exit one side or the other of the truck.

Sway bars can be used for the same purpose on solid axles as for IRS.

For cars, they can reduce roll and balance front / rear grip to make handling more neutral.

The later would be a challenge with pickup chassis lack of torsional strength.  

The roll resistance can be a benefit for trucks with bulky / high CG payload.

On 12/30/2017 at 10:08 PM, Jitar said:

Sway bars can be used for the same purpose on solid axles as for IRS.

For cars, they can reduce roll and balance front / rear grip to make handling more neutral.

The later would be a challenge with pickup chassis lack of torsional strength.  

The roll resistance can be a benefit for trucks with bulky / high CG payload.

Agreed. 78% of after-market sway bars being fitted on pickups in LOS is because it looks cool (to someone).

The other 22% claim they were already fitted when they bought the used pickup.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Agreed. 78% of after-market sway bars being fitted on pickups in LOS is because it looks cool (to someone).

The other 22% claim they were already fitted when they bought the used pickup.

Must say that the rear end of a Vigo does sway 'move' all over the place. Prevalent on Bumpy Thai roads (most) it was a nightmare at speed. One of the main reasons I sold mine.

Toyo cured that on the Fortuner by fitting a solid horizontal bar. Even bigger on the new one. Whether it can be fitted to a Vigo? Doesn't look to promising as it entails putting a big welded set up on the chasse. With the leaf springs getting in the way?

Could go for a horizontal shock that at least needs less work. If it works Buddha only knows.

Must say that the rear end of a Vigo does sway 'move' all over the place. Prevalent on Bumpy Thai roads (most) it was a nightmare at speed. One of the main reasons I sold mine.

Toyo cured that on the Fortuner by fitting a solid horizontal bar. Even bigger on the new one. Whether it can be fitted to a Vigo? Doesn't look to promising as it entails putting a big welded set up on the chasse. With the leaf springs getting in the way?

Could go for a horizontal shock that at least needs less work. If it works Buddha only knows.

The horizontal bar on the Fortuner is known as a Panhard rod and is a common arrangement with coil suspended solid axles to provide lateral location of the axle.   

Leaf springs themselves provide lateral location of the axle but with more compliance.  However this is only one of several reasons the rear of pickups like the Vigo move around more than coil suspension arrangement like on the PPVs.   

Edited by Jitar

The rear axle hopping is caused by the spring rate - which is high enough so that the truck can carry a load. If said truck is unloaded, the spring rate is too high. Hit a bump and the spring does not compress enuf to absorb the hit, and by not moving enuf the shock absorber can not stop the rebound. This happens many times per second on a bumpy road, causing a pogo stick effect.

This is why, in the West, spring rates are chosen by those in the know (and not the factory) to allow full travel when unloaded, a comfortable ride, and the shock stops the movement.

Carry a load - fit air bags to hold up the weight the soft spring rate can not handle. When empty again, remove most of the air. Keep about 5-10 lbs in the bag always.

No axle hop, controlled axle travel both empty and loaded. Compliant, comfortable ride.

4 hours ago, canthai55 said:

The rear axle hopping is caused by the spring rate - which is high enough so that the truck can carry a load. If said truck is unloaded, the spring rate is too high. Hit a bump and the spring does not compress enuf to absorb the hit, and by not moving enuf the shock absorber can not stop the rebound. This happens many times per second on a bumpy road, causing a pogo stick effect.

This is why, in the West, spring rates are chosen by those in the know (and not the factory) to allow full travel when unloaded, a comfortable ride, and the shock stops the movement.

Carry a load - fit air bags to hold up the weight the soft spring rate can not handle. When empty again, remove most of the air. Keep about 5-10 lbs in the bag always.

No axle hop, controlled axle travel both empty and loaded. Compliant, comfortable ride.

Keeping a reasonable rear tire pressure can only do so much if clipping along on a rough road surface. I found a solution back in the US when I was carrying some Sheetrock (drywall) panels in the back of my Dodge Ram. We didn't unload the complete load and for a few days, I had an extra few hundred pounds of weight in the bed, pretty much centered over the back axle that made the ride much more manageable. It didn't really take up too much vertical height in the bed either.

The after-market air bag option appears to be quite common but I read that some safety compliance may be compromised as these would be typically fitted around areas of the chassis that are supposed to yield in collisions, sort of the chassis crumple-zones?

7 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Keeping a reasonable rear tire pressure can only do so much if clipping along on a rough road surface. I found a solution back in the US when I was carrying some Sheetrock (drywall) panels in the back of my Dodge Ram. We didn't unload the complete load and for a few days, I had an extra few hundred pounds of weight in the bed, pretty much centered over the back axle that made the ride much more manageable. It didn't really take up too much vertical height in the bed either.

The after-market air bag option appears to be quite common but I read that some safety compliance may be compromised as these would be typically fitted around areas of the chassis that are supposed to yield in collisions, sort of the chassis crumple-zones?

Carrying extra weight may improve ride comfort and stability, but wouldn't do much for your fuel consumption.

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

They mount onto the same plate that the leaf springs use with u-bolts that wrap around the axle tube.

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The tire pressure on a Vigo is 30psi all round regardless of unladen or loaded. The only time I found mine was stable was carrying 3/4+ of a ton of Granite. That added yet another problem it wouldn't stop. But it did ride smooth.

5 hours ago, giddyup said:

Carrying extra weight may improve ride comfort and stability, but wouldn't do much for your fuel consumption.

Yeah, well... I never claimed otherwise.

The thread is about ride stabilizers and not fuel consumption after all.

2 hours ago, canthai55 said:

They mount onto the same plate that the leaf springs use with u-bolts that wrap around the axle tube.

That's how the bottom ends are mounted and the top plate is clamped to the chassis. The added hardware is alleged to stiffen up the areas that are supposed to absorb g-forces.

3012.JPG.c2d1f49ff6aec5625b5d2e2b3053ca48.JPG

2 hours ago, fredob43 said:

The tire pressure on a Vigo is 30psi all round regardless of unladen or loaded. The only time I found mine was stable was carrying 3/4+ of a ton of Granite. That added yet another problem it wouldn't stop. But it did ride smooth.

LOL... I bet it was smooth. I had a couple of those 1000 liter, skid-mounted water tanks in the back when moving fish stock between ponds and had to remind the guys that half-a-tank in each tank was all we could safely move.

I think the Vigo rear tire pressures will be prorated up on increased payload... that's the way it normally goes. The door plate usually specifies the minimum with 'standard' payload (2 pax and 400 kg) but the manual may have more details?

post-227330-1447039408151_thumb.jpg.ea1ba63e7cd7ecff675b55106392247f.jpg

Edited by NanLaew