SURVEY: Do Foreigners get a fair shake from the police and legal system?

Scott

SURVEY: Do foreigners get a fair shake from the police and legal system?  

210 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

just yesterday I was waiting for a traffic light in Hua Hin when a Farang pulled up next to me on a scooter not wearing a helmet. I was the only one at the intersection wearing a helmet. Cop jumped out of his traffic box and flagged the Farang down ignoring about 5 or 6 Thais without helmets.

Good job BIB. Showing more concern for farang's safety that that of fellow Thais. Definitely has his priorities in order.

4 hours ago, tso310 said:

I suspect those of us in the small towns and villages may have more positive views and experiences regarding the BIB. The only place my wife had a problem regarding her farang name was getting her Thai driving license. 'We do Thai people first' she was told. Probably expecting some money which she never got. All done in a few hours.

4 hours ago, jaywalker said:

Cop gave my wife a 10,000 baht ticket when a speeding motorcyclist, in the wrong lane, with no insurance and no license ran into her truck.

Know why? The cop told her "You have farang name. All farangs have big money".

I was in Bangkok, and she was in Pattaya when it happened to boot! A hundred miles away, and all it took was her having a Caucasian name.

5 hours ago, mikebell said:

Had no problems until a year ago.  Then a bent cop decided I was in the wrong when two under-age, licenceless, speeding tear-aways smashed into my stationery car doing 90kph.  Despite arriving ten minutes after the crash, it was the farangs fault.  Thannachart, my 3rd class Insurance company for which I paid first class money, were only too willing to pay them compensation/medical/new bike.

The cop has never interviewed the two boys; threatened to confiscate my passport; threatened me with visa difficulties; took gold off my wife.  I reckon I paid out 80K for a lying, cheating scumbag cop.  So yes - most cops are biased against farangs; ask any bar-owner in Pattaya.

Seems, it also depends where you meet them.

Thailand's Finest at their best in Pattaya, Go Phangan, Hua Hin and other tourist cities, quite relaxed and acceptable in other areas.

6 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

just yesterday I was waiting for a traffic light in Hua Hin when a Farang pulled up next to me on a scooter not wearing a helmet. I was the only one at the intersection wearing a helmet. Cop jumped out of his traffic box and flagged the Farang down ignoring about 5 or 6 Thais without helmets.

racism comes to mind and extortion.......

6 hours ago, mikebell said:

Had no problems until a year ago.  Then a bent cop decided I was in the wrong when two under-age, licenceless, speeding tear-aways smashed into my stationery car doing 90kph.  Despite arriving ten minutes after the crash, it was the farangs fault.  Thannachart, my 3rd class Insurance company for which I paid first class money, were only too willing to pay them compensation/medical/new bike.

The cop has never interviewed the two boys; threatened to confiscate my passport; threatened me with visa difficulties; took gold off my wife.  I reckon I paid out 80K for a lying, cheating scumbag cop.  So yes - most cops are biased against farangs; ask any bar-owner in Pattaya.

I would say all of that is your fault, I stand my ground with the Thai Cops, they back down 99% of the time, only taken to the Police Station once, the other cops asked me "what are you doing here??"  I said I am waiting or the cop that arrested me...........they laughed and told me to go home.

6 hours ago, Coconut007 said:

My answer: LOL

When I was in Ko Phangan there was "police" patrol, next to a place where I had lunch, catching farangs and collecting beer money for not having international driving license (they had motorbike licence from their countries)

At the same time I saw 4 motorbikes driven by what I though ~ 10 years old Thai kids - non of them had any issue, fully licensed I guess

That international licensing system is the "crookest" system ever created. It is only good for 1 year.  What the hell? So, tell me, ... having the IL makes you a better driver, a safer driver? Are you <deleted> kidding me? I wish I could be Superman and <edited> them all because crooks don't understand words. Read between the lines.

5 minutes ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

That international licensing system is the "crookest" system ever created. It is only good for 1 year.  What the hell? So, tell me, ... having the IL makes you a better driver, a safer driver? Are you <deleted> kidding me? I wish I could be Superman and <edited> them all because crooks don't understand words..

Understood the first sentence and then got lost

43 minutes ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

That international licensing system is the "crookest" system ever created. It is only good for 1 year.  What the hell? So, tell me, ... having the IL makes you a better driver, a safer driver? Are you <deleted> kidding me? I wish I could be Superman and <edited> them all because crooks don't understand words. Read between the lines.

40 minutes ago, Tilacme said:

Understood the first sentence and then got lost

13 minutes ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

What is your literacy level?

Seems a fair comment. Perhaps you can enlighten the rest of us as to what you meant?

14 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

On a small scale, there are a couple of Ko Samui webcams I watch now and then.  The vast majority of asian looking people that are ostensibly Thai, are not wearing helmets.  And of course I am sure many of you have experienced being pulled over for minor traffic violations, a short skirt down a small one way street, forgetting to signal, etc.  while dozens of Thais motor on by.

As for large scale things, I have rarely seen a court of "legal" ruling work in favor of foreigners that have small businesses, bars, restaurants, real estate etc.  No doubt many get settled out of court in the Thai way, but I have seen enough to be convinced to never invest too much in Thailand.  One false accusation by an ex girl friend, one jealous farang submits some pedophile allegation, etc, and the next thing you know you are out of control of all you had there, are in jail, etc.  You must believe that you are a Potential, and I say potential target for extortion.  Even the most loyal wife or husband or Girl Friend can have a gun put to her head by some bad people and be coerced into harming you.  The temptation is always there so just be careful

I think some of you have been in Thailand so long you don't remember what it's like to be treated with rights and dignity, which no-one (including Thais) have in Thailand. Even the ninety day reporting thing is insulting and racist. If they treated immigrants in western countries like they treat immigrants in Thailand there would be riots. 

And before some nitwit says, "if you don't like it, go home," that's exactly what I did.

"So what are doing here?" I still travel to Thailand occasionally, plus this way I can warn others what they're getting themselves into. 

On 12/3/2017 at 1:35 PM, sawadee1947 said:

For what a survey? Do you think anything would change this way or another? And who should read it? Absolutely nonsense

Yet you chose to reply. It's about perceptions, not changing things.

On 12/4/2017 at 2:53 AM, BudRight said:

I think some of you have been in Thailand so long you don't remember what it's like to be treated with rights and dignity, which no-one (including Thais) have in Thailand. Even the ninety day reporting thing is insulting and racist. If they treated immigrants in western countries like they treat immigrants in Thailand there would be riots. 

And before some nitwit says, "if you don't like it, go home," that's exactly what I did.

"So what are doing here?" I still travel to Thailand occasionally, plus this way I can warn others what they're getting themselves into. 

I think some are so bias they fail to recognize or present a balanced view point. 

You discuss rights and dignity - I put it to you that your entry in to Thailand was far easier than a Thai's entry to in to the UK. 

I had just this discussion last night with a friend who has genuine concerns regarding whether or not his Wife will be granted a visa for a two week visit to the UK. 

Yes, the Police are highly corrupt - but they are simply chancers, opportunists who would attempt to profit from anyone if they can get away with it... Thai or foreign - the reality is that us foreigners are easier targets because many shrinking violets are too scared to politely stand firm and say no. 

I agree with the 90 day reporting issue - its archaic, but its hardly racist, its just bureaucracy at its finest. 

In all reality, while I have a number of friends in the forces, I have such little exposure to the Police in general in every day life that my life is not impacted at all.

....well, it is impacted by the potential additional dangers I'm placed in by their ineffectiveness, but thats another discussion.

In direct response to the topic - I can't point out that I've been treated unfairly here, by the Police or the legal systems. 

They the cops are public enemy number 1. But farangs cop the tea money end of it all. 

Its not a wise tail all the storys they are all true storys. Thai cops are bent. 

Its also partly why so many farang dont come here anymore.

If you want to stay in thailand then this is what you must accept.

I'd generally say foreigners are treated a little more leniently, but that is a generalization.   As long as you don't tick them off, you can get by with quite a bit, if you do, though, then all bets are off.   

On 12/3/2017 at 1:09 AM, tso310 said:

I suspect those of us in the small towns and villages may have more positive views and experiences regarding the BIB. The only place my wife had a problem regarding her farang name was getting her Thai driving license. 'We do Thai people first' she was told. Probably expecting some money which she never got. All done in a few hours.

We do Thai people first? Do you mean that Thai people have any "favor'" - even though  the enforcement of traffic violations is non-existent? In other words, many Thai are unfit to drive and/or do not agree with safety procedures. So think about this.."Thais are first"., yet some of those Thais "who are first" have caused accidents and even deaths because there is no regard to driving safely.

Screw your attitude that "Thais are first". When you solicit not only tourism, (which accounts to a high GDP), but like many countries  it is inter-racial, then what is your purpose? As someone who reads about the carnage on the roads, the "Thais first" mentality simply defies logic and most certainly deters any prospective people who- like other countries, happen to meet internationally.

"If" you advertise tourism, then drop your third-world thing. Very simple. And as a side note, fines for smoking, yet your sewage  issues in Pattaya go without resolution. Laughable. Don't bite the hand that feeds you. KWIM?

Populism.suddenly rampant in the US and UK. And no one sees "why" people want a better life- especially those who have encountered far more horror or adversity as I. There is no reciprocity when nations  advertise tourism. Want to go visit other countries?  Inept and paranoid Embassy officials who lack the intelligence to  properly vet prospective tourists from Thailand to other countries. Yet Thailand is more relaxed as far as incoming tourists. You promote tourism, then figure out an appropriate vetting. But conversely, my GF's friend was denied a tourist Visa..even with documentation of itinerary when visiting the US.

Disgusting how embassies unfairly deprive Thai citizens of simple tourism to another country. Just like non-Thais visit Thailand, there are Thais who want to visit other countries. Same, same. No different.The Us is worse than UK. Paranoia, yet many other ethnicities visit the US. Not only that, but gain entry to the US. So WHY are Thais scrutinized so much when the only purpose is to visit?

I have a Thai GF and she thinks that I can sway US embassy thinking. I can not change their protocol. I can not change their standards to grant Tourist Visas.  It pisses me off and wonder why the paranoia. I can not explain it other than an out-of-control paranoia that tourists will wreak havoc from certain countries. Thailand is NOT on the travel ban, so why all of this scrutiny? Because some are Muslims?  Innocent and law-abiding Muslims? Simply a choice in faith and nothing else. Not a question of ethnic cleansing that those without acceptance  tend to embark on.

I grow tired of people who are unaccepting of others due to prejudice or inability to accept others. And when Thailand benefits from tourism ( I get that natives do not like some cultures), the bottom line is that some look for tourist dollars. So yes- rude people are noted from whatever country,.. I really get that. I would think the same way. But the reality is that tourism accounts for certain incomes. So I guess one has to decide whether tourist dollars is worth the difference in cultural differences. A tough scenario, I am sure :)

Edited by TMNH
not fnished

I don't know what the answer is...obviously those in business have to gauge tourism at some level. I understand the the meaning between surviving and putting up with obnoxious tourists. Not an easy thing to deal with for many reasons. I would hpe that majority of vendors benefit financially without a distaste for certain cultures, but I get it. I try to put myself in native Thai shoes and  understand what they go through. I have read enough stories about certain ethnicities. And my GF reinforces some of that.

I have come up with a simple explanation. If you can not understand the culture and all of the intricacies of that culture,  then you have no business there. And I am not saying that Thais are saints.I am simply understanding that their culture is unlike others. Good and bad everywhere. I try to look at people without lenses. But when they - like anyone else disappoints me, then you go elsewhere. Peace to all.

I've had no issues with them personally.  No problems at traffic stops, no extortion attempts.  

I did have one batshit crazy woman try and have me arrested on a false domestic violence change a few years ago and the police were great to deal with, very professional.  

On 05/12/2017 at 3:48 PM, richard_smith237 said:

I think some are so bias they fail to recognize or present a balanced view point. 

You discuss rights and dignity - I put it to you that your entry in to Thailand was far easier than a Thai's entry to in to the UK. 

I had just this discussion last night with a friend who has genuine concerns regarding whether or not his Wife will be granted a visa for a two week visit to the UK. 

Yes, the Police are highly corrupt - but they are simply chancers, opportunists who would attempt to profit from anyone if they can get away with it... Thai or foreign - the reality is that us foreigners are easier targets because many shrinking violets are too scared to politely stand firm and say no. 

I agree with the 90 day reporting issue - its archaic, but its hardly racist, its just bureaucracy at its finest. 

In all reality, while I have a number of friends in the forces, I have such little exposure to the Police in general in every day life that my life is not impacted at all.

....well, it is impacted by the potential additional dangers I'm placed in by their ineffectiveness, but thats another discussion.

In direct response to the topic - I can't point out that I've been treated unfairly here, by the Police or the legal systems. 

You're right, some time ago I had a very pleasant and productive chat with a Home office official of my acquaintance. He said that it was unofficial policy to make it hard for Thais to enter the UK under any circumstances, simply because so many of them tried to cheat the system by disappearing and staying on past their expiry date. He added that is was a huge and long-standing problem, and that Thais were essentially considered to be dishonest.

Contrast that with the arrival of ex-pats from the West. While it is certainly the case that many of the dregs of western society are attracted to Thailand because of the lax enforcement of law and the ready availability of carnality (read about the antics of the former owner of TV for example), most ex-pats are honest and came to Thailand to escape what they believe to be an increasingly expensive and decreasingly advantageous rat-race in their country of origin. Certainly among those I have come into contact with, that is the case, and I consider it to be true in my case as well.