Johnny Hallyday: French rock star dies at 74

webfact

French singer Johnny Hallyday dies at 74 after battle with cancer: French presidency

tag_reuters.jpg

French rock singer Johnny Hallyday performs at the Stade de France in Saint Denis, Paris suburb, France, May 29, 2009. REUTERS/Philippe Wojazer/Files

PARIS (Reuters) - French singer Johnny Hallyday has died at 74 after a battle with cancer, the office of the French president said on Wednesday.

Hallyday was a rock and roll giant in his native France with a career that lasted more than 50 years.

(Reporting by Benoit Van Overstraeten in Paris, Additional reporting by Alex Dobuzinskis in Los Angeles and Sandra Maler in Washington; Editing by Simon Cameron-Moore)

reuters_logo.jpg
    -- © Copyright Reuters 2017-12-06

7 hours ago, Aforek said:

I am French and yes, he was a super star in France ( like Elvis ) ; I think he will have national funerals  and something like a celebration on Champs Elysées 

( in fact, he was Belgium ) 

BsBs, what I write makes  you laugh, but you must be French and  belong to francophone world to understand, he was a huge star , same level than Edith Piaf

1 million people yesterday in the streets of Paris for a national hommage 

Johnny, France will never forget you ( Johnny, la France ne t'oubliera jamais ) ; 60 years of French histoire d'amour 

have a look here, please ( in English, don't worry ) :smile:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/rock-roll-hall-fame-lacks-a-crucial-form-diversity-writes-gop-strategist-guest-column-991958

2 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

Who was Edith Piaf?

I am an Greek American although I have heard of  Johnny Hollyday I am not familiar with his music,

But I must say this, Anyone who does not know who Edith Piaf is ...........

5 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I am an Greek American although I have heard of  Johnny Hollyday I am not familiar with his music,

But I must say this, Anyone who does not know who Edith Piaf is ...........

This one is for you!

17 minutes ago, vogie said:

I lived in France for about 5 years before relocating to Thailand, I'd never heard of him before living there, or Charles Trenet for that matter, but I certainly knew them before I left.

this other one is for you!

6 minutes ago, Opl said:

This one is for you!

Thank you for that  video! Although it i said "the poster has not made this video available in your country" (I am in the US right now) , I was able to search the title on YouTube and listen to it.

Enjoyed it immensely. 

A lot of great music from many different countries that we unfortunately do not get to enjoy because we don't even  know it exists . Perhaps we should start a thread where we suggest samples of music from other countries we have being exposed to.

RIP Johnny Holiday  

10 minutes ago, Opl said:

Yes, it was in 1984 in Nashville 

Sorry, I just don't get it. Brian Setzer and the Stray Cats were great but the piece attached is awful! Not playing like band ?

I'm sure this man must have made some great music but I've not heard a Great Song yet

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

Sorry, I just don't get it. Brian Setzer and the Stray Cats were great but the piece attached is awful! Not playing like band ?

I'm sure this man must have made some great music but I've not heard a Great Song yet

Oh grouse you can be such a Philistine at times.