Farangs selling Thai flags in Bangkok may be new breed of begpacker

webfact

Farangs selling Thai flags in Bangkok may be new breed of begpacker

By Coconuts Bangkok 

ff.jpg

Photo: Mali-Mali/Twitter

A week ago, this photo of a foreign man on a roadside with Thai flags appeared on Twitter with the caption, “This farang at Sri Ayutthaya junction hands out flags to the cars stuck in traffic with a small piece of paper. Every car would return the flags to him. I’m not sure if he’s trying to sell the flags,” wrote Twitter user Mali-Mali.

Well, if every car gives them back, it’s probably a safe bet that he’s trying to sell them.

Today, a similar photo of a young, attractive, smiling, white blond woman appeared in the Bangkok Post with the caption, “A Western woman sells miniature national and royal flags at an intersection near the Customs Department in Klong Toey district. She hands potential buyers a note saying she is deaf and trying to raise money to buy a hearing aid. Concerns have been raised over whether she is breaking labour laws by selling the flags without a work permit.”

Full story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/farangs-selling-thai-flags-bangkok-may-new-breed-begpacker/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-12-06

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, webfact said:

She hands potential buyers a note saying she is deaf and trying to raise money to buy a hearing aid.

Eastern European scam...

And if you're deaf a hearing aid won't help !!!

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

She hands potential buyers a note saying she is deaf and trying to raise money to buy a hearing aid

She might have considered forgoing a trip to Thailand and using the money saved to buy a hearing aid in her home country.

I seem to recall some Russians in Pattaya trolling Beach Rd flogging key chains and handing out cards claiming each was deaf ... and then enjoying a miraculous restoration of their hearing when corralled by the police.

I find this whole begpacker thing disgusting. To travel to a country that is poorer than your own, while you may well receive welfare if you are poor back home, and to expect people poorer than you to fund your holiday. It must take a special class of shameless scumbag to do this.

What's worse is I can imagine Thai people being fooled by it. Thinking "well they're farang so they must be in real trouble if they are begging". 

2 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

some kind of help??? seriously?? they are just scamming little toads that should call their embassy if they need bloody help

So just for example if their embassy is the British embassy. What do you think someone there would do when or if they answered the phone lol???   

Why don't these people start one of those Go fund me pages to pay for their holiday

reminds me of the guy in the UK  asked for people to fund him his wife and two kids for a round the world trip

after about a month had enough for the bus  fare to the local train station to start them off ( also comments like get a job you lazy git ) 

12 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

So just for example if their embassy is the British embassy. What do you think someone there would do when or if they answered the phone lol???   

it's actually irrelevant really because they are just scammers, they are in no kind of trouble. they bloody should be. they should be locked up in suanplu the little rats

*and the british embassy (as bloody useless as they are), and i doubt they are brits, hope not anyway, would help get contact with family back home to get a ticket out of here

Edited by Happy enough
"

She hands potential buyers a note saying she is deaf and trying to raise money to buy a hearing aid.

Let her raise money at Bang Kwan prison as an inmate. It was a big mistake to let all the Eastern European gangsters travel. Human trash from everywhere in LOS. 

The Farang insanity continues. From arsseshowing individuals, over bag snatching comrades, to laptop fetish attracted Swiss thieves. And there's no light at the end of the tunnel. Nope. 

All that Thais see is white skin, not good for us. 

Edited by jenny2017

1 minute ago, free123 said:

many people sell on intersections usualy children sell flower for pray...why not flags .???..what the hell is wrong with this..???? maybe the boiler room boys are the farangs the press like more ..good night thailand

Let poor Thais sell stuff on streets, but not some foreigners who are damn liars to cheat out money from Thais.

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

I find this whole begpacker thing disgusting. To travel to a country that is poorer than your own, while you may well receive welfare if you are poor back home, and to expect people poorer than you to fund your holiday. It must take a special class of shameless scumbag to do this.

What's worse is I can imagine Thai people being fooled by it. Thinking "well they're farang so they must be in real trouble if they are begging". 

Maybe, my extended Thai family are all absolutely convinced that every farang is very very rich with an unlimited never ending supply of big money. 

When my Thai son (born in Thailand, Thai first name, western family name) went first time to meet his Thai gf's parents and family he stymied the first conversation with a deliberate statement 'gf / all of you will never see me again' if there are any request for money or cars etc.

It worked for a few years, then the requests started but son has stood his ground.  

Edited by scorecard

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Concerns have been raised over whether she is breaking labour laws by selling the flags without a work permit.”

TVF favourite subject, I bet the old geezers on here haven't been this excited since the two gays guys bared their buttocks at a temple.

10 years!!! Deport!!! Lock them up!!! Let's see how they do in Thai prison (not so subtle, hope they get raped comment) etc. etc. - repeat and rinse

is this really a newsworthy story? i mean, who really cares apart from the dept of immigration? it's a pretty bad situation to be in to come from a western country with all the inherent opportunities and advantages and to be able to afford a ticket to come to thailand and then be unable to support yourself given how cheap accommodation, food and transport is here.

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Maybe, my extended Thai family are all absolutely convinced that every farang is very very rich with an unlimited never ending supply of big money. 

When my Thai son (born in Thailand, Thai first name, western family name) went first time to meet his Thai gf's parents and family he stymied the first conversation with a deliberate statement 'gf / all of you will never see me again' if there are any request for money or cars etc.

It worked for a few years, then the requests started but son has stood his ground.  

Sounds more like he is standing your ground not his ground.