Where To Buy In Cnx?

BlissfullyIgnorant

Hi,

I'm looking for an office chair mat - one of those thick plastic mats that protects the floor from your chair wheels. Something like this:

officechairmatfd6.th.jpg

Anyone ever seen these in Chiangers?

I'm not sure where chiangers is, but in Chiang Mai, there are a few shops on chang moi rd. (runs from mikes hamburgers to wararot mkt)

Hi,

I'm looking for an office chair mat - one of those thick plastic mats that protects the floor from your chair wheels. Something like this:

officechairmatfd6.th.jpg

Anyone ever seen these in Chiangers?

slightly off topic but where can you get a decent office chair, had a look at some in office depot but wanted something better than the standard one. Something like this but not at the price $749 US !! It would make surfing the net more comfortable. Breathable material and ergonomical.

cheers

post-15912-1168938182_thumb.jpg

slightly off topic but where can you get a decent office chair, had a look at some in office depot but wanted something better than the standard one. Something like this but not at the price $749 US !! It would make surfing the net more comfortable. Breathable material and ergonomical.

cheers

Well, you probably already know judging by the pic, but you can get that chair at Index Living Mall near Carrefour:

http://www.indexlivingmall.com/en/product/...=4&subID=27

Office Depot have a few OK chairs for 2500-4000 Baht, Makro do cheap chairs so probably not what you're after, and the Thai shops all seem to specialize in cheapies too.

cheers

Well, you probably already know judging by the pic, but you can get that chair at Index Living Mall near Carrefour:

http://www.indexlivingmall.com/en/product/...=4&subID=27

Office Depot have a few OK chairs for 2500-4000 Baht, Makro do cheap chairs so probably not what you're after, and the Thai shops all seem to specialize in cheapies too.

why didnt I think of that? I forgot about that place! cheers :o

Donnyboy:

ModernForm just opened a store on the north side of the super highway near Tesco on the north side of town. I bought some office chairs from them four years ago and they are still as good as new wihtout any wear and tear showing.

Well made, roll, tilt and go up and down. I use them for my dining table. I am sure they have good quality office chairs, but haven't been in their new location. I hartily recommend them for good quality. One of my criteria for a good office chair is that the "arms" which radiate out from the central post to which the wheels are attached is "arched", those that are horizontal just don't last.

I am particulary impressed with the fabric that was on the chairs. Like iron but they still "breathe". No wear in four years and easily cleaned. A leather man for years, I finally found a fabric I like for a chair.

Good luck.

~

I can't believe I just paid 13k Baht for an office chair! :D

Da wife and I finally went to Index out by Care Faux to look primarily for a protective pad for our wood floor and perhaps for a new office chair to replace my old dilapidated el-cheapo one.

GREAT selection of chairs, the likes of which I never expected over here and the one I bought is Italian-made with a strong open-mesh backrest (which is cooler and can be locked upright), a vertically moveable backpad to fit your height, arched leg/wheel supports for more strength, comfortable armrests that are totally adjustable for height - I didn't think I wanted armrests but...

Drawbacks (there are always a few in spite of this being the most comfortable chair I have ever sat in):

After twenty minutes of shopping and making my decision, I was informed that most of the more expensive (all?) merchandise must be ordered from Bangkok and I would have to wait two weeks for delivery.

Umm.. okay.

Then, even though we were the only customers on the entire second floor and only saw two others in the entire store, it took a full 45 minutes to complete the process;

Five min to call in the order to BKK, twenty-five to even be issued a receipt and another ten while they insisted on issuing our "preferred customer" ID card for future purchases (3% off on future purchases excluding anything electrical, kitchen related, promotional items, brand-name furniture.. the list goes on and on.. and on...)

On the other hand, I have never in my six years of living here seen such a selection of quality furniture and home supplies for the well-heeled in Thailand.

Oh, and in keeping with the original post of this thread, we asked four different salespersons/managers about floor-protective floor-mats for office chairs and they had no idea in-the-world what we were talking about. They recommended carpets/rugs which is the equivalent of barrel-staves for skiis for someone like me who spends 17.347 hrs/day in a computer chair... :D

Can't wait til my chair gets here and I can only hope that the seat material allows for easy removal of protein stains... :o

~

Da wife and I finally went to Index out by Care Faux to look primarily for a protective pad for our wood floor and perhaps for a new office chair to replace my old dilapidated el-cheapo one.

GREAT selection of chairs, the likes of which I never expected over here and the one I bought is Italian-made with a strong open-mesh backrest (which is cooler and can be locked upright), a vertically moveable backpad to fit your height, arched leg/wheel supports for more strength, comfortable armrests that are totally adjustable for height - I didn't think I wanted armrests but...

Drawbacks (there are always a few in spite of this being the most comfortable chair I have ever sat in):

After twenty minutes of shopping and making my decision, I was informed that most of the more expensive (all?) merchandise must be ordered from Bangkok and I would have to wait two weeks for delivery.

Umm.. okay.

Then, even though we were the only customers on the entire second floor and only saw two others in the entire store, it took a full 45 minutes to complete the process;

Five min to call in the order to BKK, twenty-five to even be issued a receipt and another ten while they insisted on issuing our "preferred customer" ID card for future purchases (3% off on future purchases excluding anything electrical, kitchen related, promotional items, brand-name furniture.. the list goes on and on.. and on...)

On the other hand, I have never in my six years of living here seen such a selection of quality furniture and home supplies for the well-heeled in Thailand.

Oh, and in keeping with the original post of this thread, we asked four different salespersons/managers about floor-protective floor-mats for office chairs and they had no idea in-the-world what we were talking about. They recommended carpets/rugs which is the equivalent of barrel-staves for skiis for someone like me who spends 17.347 hrs/day in a computer chair... :D

Can't wait til my chair gets here and I can only hope that the seat material allows for easy removal of protein stains... :o

????????????? :D

why would protein stains be on your chair?

~

Umm.. okay.

We bought a bunch of Logica office furntiture from Index, and it was the same story - 2 weeks as it had to come from BKK. Problem was that 2 weeks ended up being 4 weeks, and even when it did finally arrive, they managed to scratch our wallpaper bringing it in the house, and one of the file cabinet doors had a substantial gouge in it.

That was 3 weeks ago now, but apparently they'll be fixing the door today - let's see. Oh and as for waiting on an invoice - you were lucky at only 45 minutes - after more than an hour of waiting we just told them to deliver it with the furniture and left.. Maybe that's why it took another 2 weeks? :D

Our experience there has been so bad (I have another 2 similar stories with Index) I ended up leaving a snottagram in their suggestions box. About 4 days later we got a phone from the national marketing manager (female, speaks British English) who apologised profusely and seemed genuinely interested in cataloguing where they're failing. She didn't however offer us any incentives to return, so SB are getting a lot more business from us now!

Your mileage may vary - hope it does!

• 3 weeks later...

~

I had to dig into the archives to bring this one up again but here goes...

Ref my above post, I finally have my chair from Index and I love it!

How it went:

After only ten days after my order, Index called asking for directions to our home for delivery as the chair had arrived in CM.

My Thai wife, getting very good now at expecting and resisting the same-old said, "If the chair is damaged, don't bother delivering it as delivery will be refused."

Wonder of wonders, they responded, "Actually the box was crushed in shipment and there is substantial damage to the chair."

:D:D

The look she gave me while still on the phone told me the story, which we had kind of expected anyway from another post above and personal experience.

"We will order another and you can expect delivery in another week," they said. Yeah, right.

Wonder of wonders once again, exactly one week later, today in fact, it arrived undamaged and was efficiently assembled by the capable delivery crew and I am as happy as a...

But wait.. they said something about a 5-year warranty and in the box there was no paperwork whatsoever; no instructions, no model number, no warranty, no nuthin..

"Where is the warranty?" demands da wife. Says they, "Only one year, no other warranty, if you have problem, call us but we only fix up-and-down thing." A call to the Chiang Mai Index store where we bought it was even less informative..

Hmm, still researching this online as this is one of their top-of-da-line, Italian-made, 13k/baht office chairs...

If you are not as yet bored, allow me to present my own imagined scenario:

The CM Index store already had the previously damaged chair at their store when I ordered one. They cannot return it to the manufacturer because they themselves destroyed it but they do not wish to take the loss. Knowing that Thais rarely return things, they will continue to attempt to deliver the damaged one in the hope that eventually a customer will accept it and not complain.

Having been here for six years now and having been given defective merchandise from many stores over the years which, upon closer inspection of the packaging and condition of the item I found it something far less than new, I have come to expect this.

The way my wife explains it (my wording not her's and using the chair as an example), if you accept the defective merchandise without checking it, not only is it due to your own stupidity (which nobody wants to admit) but there is the possibility that you abused an innocent chair in a past life and Karma has come to your home to collect it's due.

Please understand that I am not slamming Thais or Buddhism here as I likely have some unpaid Karmic dues that I have yet to pay but I don't think that this chair is it.

I suspect that CM Index will continue to attempt to deliver the damaged chair to each new customer until someone overburdened with Karmic Guilt will accept it; and that if I push this, they will miraculously find the warranty paperwork and deliver it forthwith.

We shall see, eh? :o

Well it would seem youre mileage with Index has been (unfortunately) similar to ours..

When I pointed out the gouge on the filing cabinet door, the sales lady and the two installers present all looked at each other and did this guilty giggling kind of thing. They most certainly all knew it was there, but had hoped I wouldn't notice, or would just suck it down I guess. In any case, it's not what I'd expect from a pro outfit at all - the way I see it, they intentionally set out to supply me with defective (and expensive) furniture. Hence why we're never going back.

On the other side, SB Furniture recently installed built-ins and doors for our walk-in closet, and their service/product were simply impeccable, start to finish. Their designer went out of his way to accomodate our wants/needs, and even worked additional time to massage the plan a little in order to save us a few extra thousand Baht. The installation crew consisted of two trucks and 8 men, they arrived 30 minutes early, completed the job in the exact time they said it would take (5 hours), were very respectful of our home, left our house spotlessly clean and were very polite - a very welcome contrast to Index Living Mall's downright lies, sneakiness, unproffessionalism, tardiness, and bad attitude!

Well it would seem youre mileage with Index has been (unfortunately) similar to ours..

When I pointed out the gouge on the filing cabinet door, the sales lady and the two installers present all looked at each other and did this guilty giggling kind of thing. They most certainly all knew it was there, but had hoped I wouldn't notice, or would just suck it down I guess. In any case, it's not what I'd expect from a pro outfit at all - the way I see it, they intentionally set out to supply me with defective (and expensive) furniture. Hence why we're never going back.

On the other side, SB Furniture recently installed built-ins and doors for our walk-in closet, and their service/product were simply impeccable, start to finish. Their designer went out of his way to accomodate our wants/needs, and even worked additional time to massage the plan a little in order to save us a few extra thousand Baht. The installation crew consisted of two trucks and 8 men, they arrived 30 minutes early, completed the job in the exact time they said it would take (5 hours), were very respectful of our home, left our house spotlessly clean and were very polite - a very welcome contrast to Index Living Mall's downright lies, sneakiness, unproffessionalism, tardiness, and bad attitude!

I finally got down to walk Chiang Moi today and didn't have any luck whatsoever. I only found a shop selling mattresses and bedding across from the cane store and every shop that carried things with legs for about four blocks down the street had no idea what an office chair floor protector was. I did see a very low profile carpeting for 300-baht/meter that would work but my experience is that cut carpeting not only unravels but tends to curl at the edges.

Index does indeed have far to go to provide trustworthy service here in CM but if they are already pulling the same old shell game, the chances are slim that they will improve.