Aussie couple's holiday from hell after motorbike crash in Phuket

webfact

16 hours ago, steelepulse said:

In most countries, a business will not rent to a car or motorbike if you don't have a license.  That would have saved this couple if the law would have been followed and a valid license had to be shown.

Travel insurance is also voided if the customer is intoxicated or has illicit drugs in their system. Do your overseas motor bike rental business’s also check for this as well? Of course not. 

Maybe it’s the customer who is responsible for THEIR insurance compliancy....and not the rental business. 

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Insurance probably denied as a motorcycle was used.

Insurance companies should really make a point of highlighting this to future travelers here, but, as people would refuse to buy the policy, or go to a different company that may cover it,  I very much doubt they will. 

No insurance company will accept liability for an unlicensed rider/driver. Sam had not renewed his Australian motorbike license so therefore he was an unlicensed rider. No insurance

9 minutes ago, swoods58 said:

I say bulls**t to the licence being expired as it's part of your normal drivers licence and just a notation. No additional charge or expiry date.

You do not know what you are talking about even a Thai license has an expiry date and if you do not renew it by that date you are unlicensed. It is easy to see that you do not know what the licensing system is and how it works in Australia

2 hours ago, swoods58 said:

I say bulls**t to the licence being expired as it's part of your normal drivers licence and just a notation. No additional charge or expiry date.

My Australian license has an expiry date .... thanks for making me look at it, as if not renewed by March 2018, I will be driving without a valid license.... damnit!

Yes... I know.... I should actually have a Thai licence, but for insurance purposes, my insurer has agreed in (English) writing, that I am covered by the insurance, on my Australian license (yes, too... this is a risk)

In Australia, much like everywhere else, I suspect, driving (riding... whatever, dependent on class) without a valid license is illegal, and therefore invalidates your insurance.

“You will not be covered if you act in an irresponsible manner”.... this can probably be extrapolated to an injury caused by jumping from one balcony to another... etc etc

insurance does not cover stupidity!

5B1A3FB6-C451-44BF-844D-641EEC75D24C.jpeg

Edited by farcanell

15 minutes ago, farcanell said:

My Australian license has an expiry date .... thanks for making me look at it, as if not renewed by March 2018, I will be driving without a valid license.... damnit!

Yes... I know.... I should actually have a Thai licence, but for insurance purposes, my insurer has agreed in (English) writing, that I am covered by the insurance, on my Australian license (yes, too... this is a risk)

In Australia, much like everywhere else, I suspect, driving (riding... whatever, dependent on class) without a valid license is illegal, and therefore invalidates your insurance.

Don't forget your re-entry visa ha, ha, ha, ha,

Well, their GoFundMe site has now closed because they have reached the total of $60,000 that they claim they needed to be able to return to Australia. This has been a total rip off because they do not need a medivac aircraft as was claimed by them. The good hearted people of Australia have been lied to again by another family that will not own up to their own responsibility for their own actions. At no point was anyone told that Sam was unlicensed and that was the reason the insurance was not paid out.

42 minutes ago, farcanell said:

"driving without a valid license is illegal".

Which is exactly what you seem to be doing. So why?

19 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

When will the Thai government step in and apply pressure to the renters of such bikes/scooters, that insurance must be issued with the bike for the bike renter or shut up shop.

Probably 100 years after I am long dead and buried 555

There is an amount of personal accident insurance, built into the tax, on all motorbikes in Thailand, 30,000 baht per person per accident.  Not a fortune but enough to cover an ambulance to emergency room and treatment, a short hospital stay etc. Of course its not valid if the tax sticker is out of date, or you dont have a license.

I ran up a bill of 20,000 baht for an ER visit and a couple of follow up visits, all coverd on the bikes insurance, nobody ever checked with me if my license was valid, maybe insurance has access to DLT data.

1 minute ago, Blue Muton said:

"driving without a valid license is illegal".

Which is exactly what you seem to be doing. So why?

I rely on my Australian license, which is valid ... my Thai insurer accepts this for insurance purposes (any licensed driver) ... police revenue raising checkpoints (staffed with expat advisors) have never questioned my license validity...  so basically, I’m good to go... and as the Thai license is a crock of s***, I simply haven’t bothered.

if, on the other hand, my Australian license did not cover me, I would definitely get a Thai one.... and.... I never claimed to be an angel (or at least not an accredited one ?).... but I do like to be informed, which is why I have a written acceptance of my Australian license by AXA TH, just in case.

On 07/12/2017 at 8:17 AM, Thaiwrath said:

Insurance companies should really make a point of highlighting this to future travelers here, but, as people would refuse to buy the policy, or go to a different company that may cover it,  I very much doubt they will. 

no. you sign a contract it is up to you to check you are happy with what you are signing, basic common sense, it's not difficult. ignorance is not a defence.

20 minutes ago, farcanell said:

I rely on my Australian license, which is valid ... my Thai insurer accepts this for insurance purposes (any licensed driver) ... police revenue raising checkpoints (staffed with expat advisors) have never questioned my license validity...  so basically, I’m good to go... and as the Thai license is a crock of s***, I simply haven’t bothered.

if, on the other hand, my Australian license did not cover me, I would definitely get a Thai one.... and.... I never claimed to be an angel (or at least not an accredited one ?).... but I do like to be informed, which is why I have a written acceptance of my Australian license by AXA TH, just in case.

So long as the insurance says its ok but it is written in the Thai motor act and the various treaties, that once you are in Thailand for more than 90 days, or on an OA visa, a local license is required.

On 07/12/2017 at 3:17 PM, Thaiwrath said:

The amount of media coverage both here and in Australia about the continual accidents on motor scooters both in Thailand and Bali should tell people that are coming to these two places that if they are going to ride motorbikes then they are not covered by their travel insurance. It is just that many people get smart and think that they are above the law and that nothing is going to happen to them. Then when something does happen they scream for GoFundMe to get them out of the "S**T". The people must learn to accept the responsibility for their own actions.

29 minutes ago, farcanell said:

Your Australian licence is valid until the expiry date. In Australia.

In Thailand it is valid for ninety days, if accompanied by an International Driving Permit.

The ninety day period remains, regardless of the expiry date of your Australian licence and your IDP, should those dates go beyond the ninety days.

This is not a grey area and nothing that your insurance company may have said or written can change that.

1 hour ago, Blue Muton said:

Your Australian licence is valid until the expiry date. In Australia.

In Thailand it is valid for ninety days, if accompanied by an International Driving Permit.

The ninety day period remains, regardless of the expiry date of your Australian licence and your IDP, should those dates go beyond the ninety days.

This is not a grey area and nothing that your insurance company may have said or written can change that.

Oh dear ... now you will start the usual debate on whether an IDP is required for short stay tourists.

Many think home licence is OK for just 90 days. Other insist that an IDP is necessary.

My son was here on holiday a few months ago and I checked with my Thai insurance company on whether he needed an IDP to drive our car. Stumped our agent but he phonedback to say a UK DL would be honored by our insurance in the event of an accident. I told my son to get an IDP from his local post office just to be sure to  be sure.

Edited by LivinginKata

10 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

Oh dear ... now you will start the usual debate on whether an IDP is required for short stay tourists.

Many think home licence is OK for just 90 days. Other insist that an IDP is necessary.

My son was here on holiday a few months ago and I checked with my Thai insurance company on whether he needed an IDP to drive our car. Stumped our agent but he phonedback to say a UK DL would be honored by our insurance in the event of an accident. I told my son to get an IDP from his local post office just to be sure to  be sure.

If you are not a resident (i.e. you are on a tourist visa or exemption of visa), you only need your national driving License to be able to drive in Thailand. So, if you are visiting Thailand as a tourist and you want to rent a car for just a few days, you just need to carry the driving License you obtained in your home country. This is clearly indicated in the Motor Vehicle Act:

Section 42-2
In case there’s a treaty between the Thai government and a foreign government regarding mutual acceptance of driver’s license, an alien who doesn’t have an immigrant visa may drive a motor vehicle with a driver’s license issued by such a foreign government, or an automobile association authorized by such a foreign government.

(Thailand is signatory to all the international motoring treaties)

After 90 days (the most you can get on a tourist visa) or when you get an OA Visa, a Thai License is required.

An international driving permit (IDP) can be obtained in your home country. Basically, it is a translation in English of your original driving license, so if your national driving license is not in English, it can save some hassle with the police if you can produce an IDP. If your home license is in English an IDP is not required, however many police etc may not be aware.

Edited by Peterw42

11 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

To drive or lease a car in Thailand as a tourist or visitor it is necessary to have either a Thai driving licence or a valid foreign driving licence with a photograph. The foreign licence must either be in English, or be accompanied by an official translation into English or Thai. The licence needs to have been issued by a country that has a treaty with the Thai government allowing the mutual acceptance of driving licences.  Most countries, including Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK and the USA have this agreement with Thailand under the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic or the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic.

No IDP required

To drive or lease a car in Thailand as a tourist or visitor it is necessary to have either a Thai driving licence or a valid foreign driving licence with a photograph. The foreign licence must either be in English, or be accompanied by an official translation into English or Thai. The licence needs to have been issued by a country that has a treaty with the Thai government allowing the mutual acceptance of driving licences.  Most countries, including Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK and the USA have this agreement with Thailand under the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic or the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic. No IDP required

It may well say that in all the Acts & Conventions....but good luck trying to tell that to the Thai policeman as he’s writing out your 400b fine for not having an IDP IN ADDITION to your Australian drivers licence.

If you’re on a tourist visa....why not play it safe. Get an IDP. They are not expensive and it’s valid for your first 3 months in Thailand.

1 minute ago, Gregster said:

It may well say that in all the Acts & Conventions....but if you’re in Thailand on a tourist visa, good luck trying to tell that to the Thai policeman as he’s writing out your 400b fine for not having an IDP IN ADDITION to your Australian drivers licence.

I have been checked at many road blocks and there has never been a problem

I’ve also been checked at many and always a problem and a fine... until I returned to Aus to get an IDL. Problem now solved.

When I first started coming here I hired cars and traveled the Isaan area only with my Australian license and I never had any problems and I have never had a fine here and now I live here and have a Thai license

When I first started coming here I hired cars and traveled the Isaan area only with my Australian license and I never had any problems and I have never had a fine here and now I live here and have a Thai license

I’ve also had no hassles in Isaan. Only when driving toward/near BKK and Pattaya areas.

I’ve also had no hassles in Isaan. Only when driving toward/near BKK and Pattaya areas.

Not interested in Pattaya but I used to hire a car from the airport and drive to Udon Thani and on a couple of occasions I was stopped about 7 times and just showed my Australian license and they acknowledge with a salute and said go. There was one time that I was asked to get out of the car, but all the officer wanted was a photo of himself with his arm around my shoulder holding up my Australian license between us as if it was a novelty for him

You may not be interested in Pattaya but I’m interested in helping all forum members. So once again my advice (from experiences of paying fines for no IDP) is to be on the safe side and grab an IDP. They are not expensive and may save you fines and hassles, depending on where you drive in Thailand.

2 minutes ago, Gregster said:

You may not be interested in Pattaya but I’m interested in helping all forum members. So once again my advice from experiences of paying fines for no IDP is to be on the safe side and grab an IDP. They are not expensive and may save you fines and hassles, depending on where you drive in Thailand.

I have no problems with that at all. Yes, it could save some people problems and really it is not much to carry and I don't think they cast much so why not. All I can say to you Gregster is to take care and drive safely

3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

There is an amount of personal accident insurance, built into the tax, on all motorbikes in Thailand, 30,000 baht per person per accident.  Not a fortune but enough to cover an ambulance to emergency room and treatment, a short hospital stay etc. Of course its not valid if the tax sticker is out of date, or you dont have a license.

I ran up a bill of 20,000 baht for an ER visit and a couple of follow up visits, all coverd on the bikes insurance, nobody ever checked with me if my license was valid, maybe insurance has access to DLT data.

Even if no license that porobor insurance is still valid.

7 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

It's not about ill educated BiB looking to impose an easy fine. It's about the insurance cover paper work.

I have not said anything about ill educated BiB looking to impose an easy fine