New Traffic Tickets More Convenient – But Can’t Be Ignored

snoop1130

New Traffic Tickets More Convenient – But Can’t Be Ignored

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

SakhonNakhonPoliceVDAY-696x463.jpg

A cop hands out roses instead of tickets to traffic violators on Valentine's Day 2016 in Sakon Nakhon province.

BANGKOK — A new type of traffic ticket, which includes a barcode and English translation, will come into universal use early next year, police said Thursday.

In addition to impeding corruption, the new tickets allow traffic violators to pay fines at an ATM and are translated into English for the ever increasing number of foreign motorists in Thailand, said Jirapat Phumjit, deputy commander of Bangkok metro police. They also cannot be simply ignored as the old tickets often were.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2017/12/07/new-tickets-more-convenience-not-ignorable/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-12-7

Hmmm, What could possibly go wrong?

Traveling to the police station is no longer necessary under the new system, Jirapat said. Motorists can simply pay their fines via any Krungthai Bank ATM or Counter Service at many supermarkets and convenience stores. Police stations will mail the confiscated driver’s licenses to violators once the fines are paid, he said.

*gets pulled over for a fine and DL taken away

*keeps driving without DL because why not

*gets pulled over again, states fine was paid already but DL hasn't been received yet

*????

*Profit

I totally see the problems reducing already /slowmo eyeroll

16 hours ago, gr8fldanielle said:

That means no more dickering on the amount.

I'd imagine it'll be the same as ever.

I've been "ticketed" several dozen times & only ever got two paper tickets.

I also wonder if the tickets will be printed from a machine connected by wireless to a central data bank, or just carbon copy tickets with bar codes on them?

If connected by wireless, it will probably be like most Thai gov't websites = they don't work.

If paper copy, somebody will have to scan them every day into a central data bank = see above.

=============================

I've been trying this link for the past week. http://pattaya.go.th/pattaya-city-wifi-free

See https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1013916-free-wi-fi-offers-web-surfing-on-pattaya-beach/

17 hours ago, overherebc said:

Are police legally entitled to take your licence?

Just askin'

They were. If you didn’t want to pay the ‘cheaper fine’ on the spot you needed to go and pick up your licence at the station on receipt of the fine. I assume that now you can keep your licence. 

Maybe I am missing something here.

The ticket only has the stated value if actually written/issued. This doesn't seem to solve the corrupt problem of settling the matter for undeclared baht on the side of the road. Same sh*t, different day. 

35 minutes ago, TEFLKrabi said:

They were. If you didn’t want to pay the ‘cheaper fine’ on the spot you needed to go and pick up your licence at the station on receipt of the fine. I assume that now you can keep your licence. 

You could collect your licence at the Police station the following day (or evening) upon payment of the fine. Unless there was an authorized stop with a senior office present and receipts issued the 'on the spot' payment of the fine was a bribe....

In this case 'going official' will still give room for the 'on the spot bribe' as the 'infraction' will not be entered into the system until the Policeman does so !... 

As with everything 'law' related in Thailand the weak link will always be the humans enforcing it. 

2 hours ago, jaywalker said:

2 hours ago, jaywalker said:

I also wonder if the tickets will be printed from a machine connected by wireless to a central data bank, or just carbon copy tickets with bar codes on them?

If connected by wireless, it will probably be like most Thai gov't websites = they don't work.

If paper copy, somebody will have to scan them every day into a central data bank = see above.

I've been trying this link for the past week. http://pattaya.go.th/pattaya-city-wifi-free

See https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1013916-free-wi-fi-offers-web-surfing-on-pattaya-beach/

"Thailand’s junta bribes traffic cops to stop taking bribes"

I wonder how many people remember this stunningly cunning idea introduced by PM Prayut when the junta took control.

He created a system where the government would reward police for refusing to extort motorists. In other words he would pay them if they instead arrested those corrupt motorists who attempt to bribe these poor unfortunate policemen. People don't respect or understand the sheer brilliance of the man!

It's only taken them 4 years to get around to doing something about the ticketing system. Does that mean that his 20 year plans in reality will be 80 year plans.

https://www.pri.org/stories/2014-10-17/thailand-s-junta-bribes-traffic-cops-stop-taking-bribes

Edited by Cadbury

20 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You could collect your licence at the Police station the following day (or evening) upon payment of the fine. Unless there was an authorized stop with a senior office present and receipts issued the 'on the spot' payment of the fine was a bribe....

In this case 'going official' will still give room for the 'on the spot bribe' as the 'infraction' will not be entered into the system until the Policeman does so !... 

As with everything 'law' related in Thailand the weak link will always be the humans enforcing it. 

The below quote from the article makes me wonder what ever happens to all the paper tickets given to officers that never get used.

"There are still some left in the circulation,” Maj. Gen. Jirapat said in an interview. “They can still be used, but they will run out soon, because the new forms will replace them … I think they will be all gone within the next two months.”

What cop gives a flower to a guy who just broke the rules No wonder the motorists just laugh at the cops here Wont be so funny when 30,000 die next year  The only flowers they will get then is at there funeral Just a bloody joke all here:cheesy:

22 hours ago, jaywalker said:

I'd imagine it'll be the same as ever.

The police have applied for an increase in their budget for the purchase of new E-Ticket machines. My understanding of how the E-Ticket machine works is that the machine is linked to a central computer and the penalty is set in the computer and the offense has a specific number. The machines that I have seen, the officer just puts the license number or the vehicle registration number with the offense number into the machine and it automatically prints the ticket with the name and address of either the license holder or the name and address of the registered owner of the vehicle plus the penalty. I am not sure how it is connected whether it is via wi-fi or through the mobile phone network, but the ones that I have seen in operation work quite well. But they are not in Thailand

Edited by Russell17au
additional information

21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Still not having to go to the police station is a big improvement, i always worried about fines because I would have to come back to the police station. If paying fines is easy its one less worry. I haven't had many fines but i refuse to stay on the most left side of the road when I drive my motorbike (dangerous there). So I could get fined, and have been in the past. But I hated looking for the police station that had the licence so I always tried to pay at the spot. 

A while back i had a fine for speeding in my car (caught by a camera) was a confusing part of the road switching from 90 to 120 all the time. But I got a fine by mail could pay it at the post office or the bank. That was easy and I paid right away.

1 hour ago, Russell17au said:

The police have applied for an increase in their budget for the purchase of new E-Ticket machines. My understanding of how the E-Ticket machine works is that the machine is linked to a central computer and the penalty is set in the computer and the offense has a specific number. The machines that I have seen, the officer just puts the license number or the vehicle registration number with the offense number into the machine and it automatically prints the ticket with the name and address of either the license holder or the name and address of the registered owner of the vehicle plus the penalty. I am not sure how it is connected whether it is via wi-fi or through the mobile phone network, but the ones that I have seen in operation work quite well. But they are not in Thailand

Aaaand, there lies the problem.

The "M" in Thailand stands for Maintenance.

9 minutes ago, jaywalker said:

Aaaand, there lies the problem.

The "M" in Thailand stands for Maintenance.

The ones that I have seen in operation don't seem to require much maintenance except to put them on a charger to recharge the battery, much like you do with a mobile phone and to put another roll of paper in them. I know of some police forces using them and even some councils using the same type of thing for issuing parking infringements quite successfully, so I don't really think there is much in the actual way of maintenance of the machine themselves but maybe more in the communication system they are connected to.

Edited by Russell17au
mispelling

A new type of traffic ticket, which includes a barcode and English translation, will come into universal use early next year, police said Thursday.

So, the script reads as quoted above.  My question is, are the Thai police now becoming international peacekeepers because they now project that the tickets will be UNIVERSAL in their application?  Most countries already have superior systems in use.

1 hour ago, Russell17au said:

The ones that I have seen in operation don't seem to require much maintenance except to put them on a charger to recharge the battery, much like you do with a mobile phone and to put another roll of paper in them. I know of some police forces using them and even some councils using the same type of thing for issuing parking infringements quite successfully, so I don't really think there is much in the actual way of maintenance of the machine themselves but maybe more in the communication system they are connected to.

Yes, I was referring to the infrastructure as a whole.