Good quality cheap wine

owl sees all

On 13/12/2017 at 7:41 AM, owl sees all said:

Up here in the sticks everyone calls it low Khow. For a farang like me it sounds like How Cow (low Khow).

I'm off to Laos to stock up soon, so I reckon 'Lao cow' would foot the bill OK.

Thanks for the reply. Have you any recipies you could share with the TVForum wine appreciation crew?

Mulberry wine, either side of 200 baht a bottle at Tesco or BigC. Just as good as any of the lower priced (up to about 500) reds. For a box I used to drink Berri Estates found it better than most.

But as for recipes, no sorry.

• 4 weeks later...

For those of you TVForum wine lovers out there I have just discovered two wines that I'm sure you will enjoy. I came back from Laos with 15 litres of top notch low khow. After a week of experimenting I have found out how to make them. Yes!!! Two great wines!!!

Firstly; mushroom wine. and secondly garlic wine.

Don't use any old mushrooms though. I've found reishi to be the bizzo!! And with the garlic; select the clothes carefully. After all, it's the ingredients - and the skill in making them of course  - that make these wines stand out from the piss-water that is on offer in the shops.

More to follow,,,,,,,,

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

For those of you TVForum wine lovers out there I have just discovered two wines that I'm sure you will enjoy. I came back from Laos with 15 litres of top notch low khow. After a week of experimenting I have found out how to make them. Yes!!! Two great wines!!!

Firstly; mushroom wine. and secondly garlic wine.

Don't use any old mushrooms though. I've found reishi to be the bizzo!! And with the garlic; select the clothes carefully. After all, it's the ingredients - and the skill in making them of course  - that make these wines stand out from the piss-water that is on offer in the shops.

More to follow,,,,,,,,

You Sir, have a definite problem... :)

3 minutes ago, sharktooth said:

You Sir, have a definite problem... :)

I have!!?

Well, I know how to make stonking good wine. Cheap too.

Do I detect a touch of envy!? No need for that Sharktooth. My recipes are free for anyone to try. Just test the ginger wine (my favourite), you will be more than befuddled; I guarantee.

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

I have!!?

Well, I know how to make stonking good wine. Cheap too.

Do I detect a touch of envy!? No need for that Sharktooth. My recipes are free for anyone to try. Just test the ginger wine (my favourite), you will be more than befuddled; I guarantee.

Takes one to know one :)

8 minutes ago, sharktooth said:

Takes one to know one :)

I have been making wine since the 60s and my skills learned as a teenager held me in good stead when living in the MENA region. However, I thought it was highly illegal to make your own wine or beer here.

6 minutes ago, The manic said:

I have been making wine since the 60s and my skills learned as a teenager held me in good stead when living in the MENA region. However, I thought it was highly illegal to make your own wine or beer here.

He is not making wine, he is adding juice to a already made alcohol.

8 minutes ago, The manic said:

He said he is making wine out of ingredients such as mushrooms, garlic and ginger I believe. He might be reinforcing them with sports also. 

As far as I'm aware he adds his ingredients to lao khow.

43 minutes ago, vogie said:

As far as I'm aware he adds his ingredients to lao khow.

Use reishi for the mushroom wine. As you may know it is like a balsa wood when you get it. Just smash it up (in a controlled way; wearing safety glasses if using a hammer or the like), or put it in a coffee grinder. Get a good quality water and add in the reishi. Bring to the boil and simmer for about 4 hours. Strain the fluid and refridgerate when finished.

Now come the most crucial time. When the reishi has well cooled it it ready for blending with the low khow; BUT!!!! Reishi is very bitter and if it is needed to be sweetened now is the time not after blending with the low khow. Honey or molasses should be added sparingly. Carefully mix the reishi water with the low khow in a ratio of 50-50.

I usually drink the wine straight away.

Note: molasses will turn the wine dark. 

Archived