Thaksin Gives Live Interview To CNN

george

Local activists alerts police over ousted PM's remarks

Buri Ram - Five local activists, including failed electoral candidates, Thursday filed a complaint calling for police to launch a probe into alleged offending remarks against the monarchy made by ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

The activists cited a transcript of Thaksin's interview released by the cable news station CNN on Wednesday as evidence.

They said Thaksin's remarks could be construed as a vengeful vendetta aimed at the King.

The five are Srimuang Watanacheep, Krichthep Upachan, Sanoh Phromsawat, Amnaj Chanmontri and Krai Praroonrum.

Lt Colonel Sanong Wankhot, duty officer of the Muang police station, acknowledged the complaint and would forward it to the headquarters of Royal Thai Police for review.

The Nation

This won't get anywhere particularly given the source.(Five Isaan nobodies)More than that the junta knows that even if serious lese majeste charges were placed, this could backfire in their faces doing terrible damage (beyond that already inflicted).Take my word for it (or if you don't wait and see) lese majeste charges will never be pressed against Thaksin.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Local activists alerts police over ousted PM's remarks

Buri Ram - Five local activists filed a complaint into alleged offending remarks against the monarchy made by ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

Buri Ram, you say? Hmmm... Is Mr. Bird Flu Cover-Up Man Newin trying to jump ship away from Thaksin???

The activists cited a transcript of Thaksin's interview released by the cable news station CNN on Wednesday as evidence.

anybody got a link ?

I think it was a Thai translation, the English version is posted. I suspect it has to do with what I said in post #297 on page 20.

Thaksin didn't his help his cause any with his comments regarding His Majesty that I purposely omitted from Thaksin's subsequent Japanese interview.

Thaksin didn't his help his cause any with his comments regarding His Majesty that I purposely omitted from Thaksin's subsequent Japanese interview.

Having read the entire transcript, I can't see anything untoward. If anything he goes out of his way to say he's reverential several times.

Not that we can even discuss this like adults, the moment one takes issue with posts from the anti-Thaksin brigade, they will start screeching and say "You've used the K. word, Burn him !"

Its like that scene in 'Life of Brian' where they stone people who say 'Jehoveh'

Edited by Barney_the_Dinosaur

Yes that all sounds very enigmatic - i.e. the way you've (as usual) slanted it in your ongoing pathological anti-Thaksin obsession

But having read the entire transcript, I can't see anything untoward. If anything he goes out of his way to say he's reverential several times.

You are quite right.I have also read the transcript in full and there are no disrespectful remarks.There is a call for a return to constutional rule which is unexceptional.

The OP is just stirring it up in his trollish way as usual, and I suspect in breach of forum rules.

I think you need to be a bit more open minded about this. Depending on where you are a simple gesture can be an insult or something very innocent. In example someone going to the UK and ordering two beers by holding 2 fingers up may attract a totally unexpected response.

If the Thais feel Thaksin once again used his mouth in an inappropriate way they certainly have the right to do what they did. A few days ago his lawyer suggested giving forgiveness and to forget the past. To many it was just total absurdity but nevertheless it was said. His mouth caused many of his problems by one by one stepping on and insulting people who once supported him.

"Prove to me that you're not a witch. If you can't prove it. We'll burn you."

If people in Thailand says about someone 'you're anti-King' and keep repeating it. Then the other party can keep saying 'i'm not, i'm not, i'm not' but to no avail.

These activists may have been put up to it to cause this precise effect.

It just detracts from the offences and abuses of power that he probably did carry out.

If people in Thailand says about someone 'you're anti-King' and keep repeating it. Then the other party can keep saying 'i'm not, i'm not, i'm not' but to no avail.

It just detracts from the offences and abuses of power that he probably did carry out.

I am not disagreeing with you, all I am saying is not everyone sees things the same way. Certainly Thaksin sees things very differently.

It is disappointing that the extra-judicial stuff seems to have dropped out of sight. That actually involved a hel_l of a lot of deaths even by interantional standards (some rights groups have estimated up to 7000) and certainly deserves a proper investigation at least. We hear a lot about corruption and dodgy remarks etc but why not about this maybe more important set of cases.

More than that the junta knows that even if serious lese majeste charges were placed, this could backfire in their faces doing terrible damage (beyond that already inflicted).Take my word for it (or if you don't wait and see) lese majeste charges will never be pressed against Thaksin.

Originally, I thought for sure they would press lese majeste charges, given that was the first reason for the coup stated by the generals on the night of the coup. However, if they were going to do it they would have done it by now. Instead, they have been moving lese majeste into the background and focusing more on corruption issues as the reason the former PM was so bad for the country. I really don't fully understand yet why this is the case, only that it is the case.

It is disappointing that the extra-judicial stuff seems to have dropped out of sight. That actually involved a hel_l of a lot of deaths even by interantional standards (some rights groups have estimated up to 7000) and certainly deserves a proper investigation at least. We hear a lot about corruption and dodgy remarks etc but why not about this maybe more important set of cases.

Predictable given the collaboration of almost everyone during the killings. You can't properly investigate something that would indict you and most of your supporters as well, especially if you propagate yourself as the virtous fighting the bogey man. You don't want to diffuse the simplistic lines fed to the semi educated masses.

For similar reasons, don't hold your breath for any outcome in the corruption issue. I really don't think that they would like to force Thaksin into a corner where he has no other choice of defense other than opening up and bringing the whole house of cards to fall.

Having read the entire transcript, I can't see anything untoward. If anything he goes out of his way to say he's reverential several times.

I guess you have to read between the lines barney the dinosaur. In Thai style. :o:D

Yes, he went out of his way several times, but he also went out of his way several times to proclaim national reconciliation whilst sueing his opponents.

I guess you have to read between the lines barney the dinosaur. In Thai style. :o:D

Yes, he went out of his way several times, but he also went out of his way several times to proclaim national reconciliation whilst sueing his opponents.

I don't think his English is good enough to nuance his delivery in interviews.

And he really is rubbish at English. My old language school used to teach him. He used to get the teacher to answer the phones if he was on another line.

Not that we can even discuss this like adults, the moment one takes issue with posts from the anti-Thaksin brigade, they will start screeching and say "You've used the K. word, Burn him !"

Its like that scene in 'Life of Brian' where they stone people who say 'Jehoveh'

You can choose to comply with thaivisa's rules or not..

I choose to comply. If that bothers you, I'm sorry.

Yes that all sounds very enigmatic -

But having read the entire transcript, I can't see anything untoward. If anything he goes out of his way to say he's reverential several times.

You are quite right.I have also read the transcript in full and there are no disrespectful remarks.There is a call for a return to constutional rule which is unexceptional.

The OP is just stirring it up in his trollish way as usual, and I suspect in breach of forum rules.

I would encourage you to acquaint yourself with thaivisa rules then. It doesn't have to be disrespectful to be omitted.

If anything I've omitted, and in your opinion is something proper and fit for tv... and you wish post those omissions here, then... that is up to you.

I'll let your flaming slide.

Edited by sriracha john

Yes that all sounds very enigmatic -

I would encourage you to acquaint yourself with thaivisa rules then. It doesn't have to be disrespectful to be omitted.

If anything I've omitted, and in your opinion is something proper and fit for tv... and you wish post those omissions here, then... that is up to you.

I'll let your flaming slide.

Your trolling technique didn't work this time.Just drop it.

I don't think his English is good enough to nuance his delivery in interviews.

And he really is rubbish at English. My old language school used to teach him. He used to get the teacher to answer the phones if he was on another line.

His interviews in Thai were similar in content. I do however, remember once when he said something he regretted in Thai that because he was a northerner he didnt speak proper Thai and had been misunderstood. Oh the fun times.

Back to the topic... but from a different angle.

:o

Sonthi gave an interview to CNN (aired today). A good move. I didn't see it.

But the first reports... are totally disapointing.

"I would like to ask him to give priority to the national interest. No matter where he is, he should love the country," Sonthi replied with CNN anchorman asked him what he would like to say to Thaksin.

Sonthi should know that thoses kind of "thaitude" don't work with foreigners !

I mean : the point was to counterattack, by using the same chanel, and to target the same audience (international)... He should have spoke about the airport, the corruption, the investigations etc. Be straightforward. I mean : he's a military, right ?

But "Love your country, be sweet, and stay away please".... Well we are not going to go a long way with those kind of childish -an so thai- comments...

I find his eternal smile... boring.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...newsid=30025189

Edited by cclub75

I mean : the point was to counterattack, by using the same chanel, and to target the same audience (international)... He should have spoke about the airport, the corruption, the investigations etc. Be straightforward. I mean : he's a military, right ?

Patience, patience. This interview means nothing. What you are suggesting is coming soon, no rush. Let Thaksin go on with his version of reality until it slaps him in the face hard when the counter-attack is presented for the world to see.

Patience, patience. This interview means nothing. What you are suggesting is coming soon, no rush. Let Thaksin go on with his version of reality until it slaps him in the face hard when the counter-attack is presented for the world to see.

At the moment Thaksin is out and about courting the real media sharks. Tony is right and they will tear him to shreds and he will not be able to intimidate them like the Thai press. His version of reality differs so much that it is very obvious even for a green journalist to see. I would imagine it will be a significant task for the image company he hired to keep his mouth shut as he listens to only himself. Thaksin is just chumming the waters he is swimming in.

Tony is right and they will tear him to shreds and he will not be able to intimidate them like the Thai press. His version of reality differs so much that it is very obvious even for a green journalist to see.

I would like to share your optimism.

But the facts are going the other way.

4 month already. And...what ? Nothing. The big void. The same insane thai stories that we are used too, but only on a broader (and sometimes funnier) scale.

They should have dozens and dozens way to NAIL him. This struggle, if it's real, can't be solved "thai way", with smiles and calls to "love the country" like Sonthi said.

To shut down Thaksin, they need to nail him with proper charges and proper judiciary process. That will cut off his international supports (western democracies don't like convicted politicians...). Right now : he is the victim. And the "generals" are the bad guys.

That will prevent him to come back on the politic stage.

But they can't : because Thaksin has corrupted all the state apparatus. AEC complains that ministers are very reluctant to "clean" their administrations... It's the old system of croonies. The sand castle. You remove one item, and everything colapse.

Do you know ONE example of a "bad" thai politician (at high level) who has been convicted for wrong doings in the past ?

Sonthi and the PM want to play thai way. It's the recipe for more failure. Because Thaksin is smarter, and is able to play western style.

I'm sorry : but until now, he's leading the game.