Thaksin Gives Live Interview To CNN

george

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Public Relations deals cast doubt on Thaksin's real intent

Ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra said in a CNN interview last week that he was tired of politics and would like to spend the remainder of his life as a civilian.

But has he really had enough of politics when he has hired two major American public relations firms to manage his image and his standing in the international community?

The PR firms are Barbour Griffith & Rogers (BGR) and Edelman.

BGR, founded in 1991, is a well-known PR and lobbying firm. Its website says its lobbyists have served in the White House, Congress and executive agencies, as well as in gubernatorial, congressional and presidential campaigns. They help clients to implement public policy at domestic and international level.

BGR also advertises itself as being "effective at stopping or changing harmful policy before it can take effect".

Its clients include Fortune 500 companies, international governments, trade associations, academic institutions, hospitals, coalitions, and state and local governments.

According to a document dated November 10, 2006, from the Secretary of the US Senate, BGR registered itself as a lobbying firm. It named Thaksin Shinawatra as its client. Thaksin's address in the filing document was Mayfair in London. BGR filled in the general description of Thaksin's business or activities as "to promote democracy in Asia."

The specific lobbying issue of BGR was to "provide and counsel with regard to Mr Thaksin's interests in Washington DC and abroad."

So what kind of interests does Thaksin have in Washington DC? The Surayud Chulanont government is monitoring Thaksin's foreign activities closely by anticipating that he might use the US and Europe as bases to attack it and create broader sympathy for his cause.

But diplomatic sources believe Thaksin is not likely to find sympathetic ears among people in the White House, Congress or other institutions because of his bad record in human rights and other abuses during his premiership.

The Thai government has been disturbed by Thaksin's move to use Singapore, apparently with the approval of the city-state's authorities, to attack it through an interview with CNN and the Asian Wall Street Journal. This has ignited a diplomatic row between Thailand and Singapore.

On Tuesday, Thaksin also launched an offensive against the Surayud government by suggesting in an interview with the Japanese press that the Thai people would not tolerate military dictatorship for too long. Japan was more cautious than Singapore in handling Thaksin and denied him official recognition.

Thaksin has been attempting to create an international image that he was an elected leader removed unconstitutionally by a military coup, that he had done so many good things for Thailand and that without him Thailand has gone off track.

Asked about the impact of Thaksin's attempt to discredit the military leadership and the interim government, Prime Minister General Surayud Chulnanont said yesterday: "Nobody would like to see the political change as has happened. If the elected government practised good governance then there would not be any problem at all.

"If there were good governance then it would not be necessary for military intervention. This is the main point. No matter how the governments come into being, if they practise good governance and stay away from conflict of interest, they can create trust and credibility in the long term.

"If we have leaders who have good governance, then the country can survive."

Korbsak Sabhavasu, a member of the Democrat Party, revealed that the relationship between Thaksin and BGR dated back to 2001 during his first year in office as prime minister. Then Shin Satellite, a subsidiary of Shin Corp, hired BGR to help it lobby the Senate, the House of Representatives and the US Export and Import Bank to facilitate a low-interest loan to support the launch of IPStar.

Korbsak indicated that BGR served Shin Satellite between 2001 and 2003, earning about US$160,000 (Bt5.62 million) in service fees.

Korbsak's website shows a registration form which Thaksin signed with BGR. The key executives of the firm are lobbyists Robert Blackwill (deputy assistant to the president and deputy national security adviser) and Walker Roberts (deputy chief of staff, House International Relations Committee). Both are influential in US politics.

The International Herald Tribune reported on January 19 that Thaksin had hired PR firm Edelman, which has bases in Chicago and New York, to help arrange meetings with the press. He is represented in Washington by another public relations firm.

"We are working with him in his capacity as a private citizen and supporting some media outreach to support his efforts to return to Thailand," the newspaper quoted Alan VanderMolen, Edelman's vice president for the Asia-Pacific, as saying.

- The Nation

---------------------------------

:o

Fresh excerpts from the Cerebral One's Japanese interviews:

Thaksin questioned the legitimacy of the bloodless coup in September that removed him from his post and said that its leaders had overthrown "the popular government" supported by Thais.

Thaksin did, however, express his desire to eventually return to Thailand as a private citizen. "I should do some charitable activities to help the unfortunate people and to promote education," he said.

"When they finger-pointed me [as responsible for the bombings], I had to leave my political silence," he said. "They do a lot of things to my family, my children, which...hurt."

"If I go back I should be able to help unite the country. I should not be an excuse for bloodshed...[resulting from] confrontation among the Thais," Thaksin said.

He said he has not decided when to return, but that he will take into account his and his family's safety.

- Shuichi Inagaki / Yomiuri Shimbun Staff Writer

It would seem Thaksin is in for a reality check that only the people who’s pockets he lined like him. That alone leaves a big question, if you need to give money to people to be your friend what type of person are you?

hint :o

It would seem Thaksin is in for a reality check that only the people who’s pockets he lined like him. That alone leaves a big question, if you need to give money to people to be your friend what type of person are you?

In one sense I think he was using money and power to buy love.

Ouch! reality check! :D

In one sense I think he was using money and power to buy love.

Ouch! reality check! :D

Unfortunately in the increasingly materialistic world in which we live, money/power buy a lot of love :D

Fresh excerpts from the Cerebral One's Japanese interviews:

Thaksin questioned the legitimacy of the bloodless coup in September that removed him from his post and said that its leaders had overthrown "the popular government" supported by Thais.

Thaksin did, however, express his desire to eventually return to Thailand as a private citizen. "I should (but I won't) do some charitable activities to help the unfortunate people and to promote education," he said. (You can't reshuffle cabinets countless times anymore)

"When they finger-pointed me [as responsible for the bombings], I had to leave my political silence(and immediately pointed my finger to the South) :o ," he said. "They do a lot of things to my family, my children, which...hurt." (You have no idea what hurt is... ask the Tak Bai and drug war victims families!)

"If I go back I should be able to help unite the country. I should not be an excuse for bloodshed...[resulting from] confrontation among the Thais," Thaksin said.

He said he has not decided when to return (you're not the one to decide), but that he will take into account his and his family's safety.

gallery_16522_431_16120.jpg

Thaksin's ploy is obvious. He wants to return and will continue to embarrass the country internationally until they bring him back. What happens then is anybody's guess.

I doubt that the government needs Thaksin's help to embarrass the country. So far they have been doing a very good job with that themselves.

Thaksin's ploy is obvious. He wants to return and will continue to embarrass the country internationally until they bring him back. What happens then is anybody's guess.

I doubt that the government needs Thaksin's help to embarrass the country. So far they have been doing a very good job with that themselves.

Well lets see a bit off topic but the mighty power of money (more specifically sudden drop in inflow) has changed their mind on alcohol advertizing, so there is some truth in what you say.

He may be embarrassing the country but he is embarrassing himself more.

The CNS dont have to do anything about Thaksin - he seems to be shooting himself in the foot just fine.

He may be embarrassing the country but he is embarrassing himself more.

The CNS dont have to do anything about Thaksin - he seems to be shooting himself in the foot just fine.

Only to the views of those of us in Thailand. He continually gets interviewed offshore. There is a lot of foreign investment in Thailand and investors want to hear what the former PM is saying. They don't know who to believe. In addition, as Ando said above, the CNS are concerned with his popularity in Thailand. This will all come to a head soon.

Well if Isuzo decides to bring back the ‘Joe Isuzo’ commercials Thaksin would be perfect.

For the people who don’t know or remember ‘Joe Isuzo’ was a liar and car salesman. The commercials had the correct captions (truth) at the bottom. His catch phrase was “trust me.”

If there was an general election held tomorrow with the usual line-up of political parties, Khun Thaksin and TRT would almost certainly win.

edit: the point I want to make is what you say is probably right for the wrong reasons.

Edited by Grover

If there was an general election held tomorrow with the usual line-up of political parties, Khun Thaksin and TRT would almost certainly win.

edit: the point I want to make is what you say is probably right for the wrong reasons.

Kinda brings us back to post #334 don't you think....

Well if Isuzo decides to bring back the 'Joe Isuzo' commercials Thaksin would be perfect.

For the people who don't know or remember 'Joe Isuzo' was a liar and car salesman. The commercials had the correct captions (truth) at the bottom. His catch phrase was “trust me.”

joei.jpg

Joe Isuzu

Addendum Edit:

"Remember... If dinosaurs came back tomorrow, we would almost certainly all be eaten." :o

(2 responses to 2 posts for the price of 1)

Edited by sriracha john

Well if Isuzo decides to bring back the 'Joe Isuzo' commercials Thaksin would be perfect.

For the people who don't know or remember 'Joe Isuzo' was a liar and car salesman. The commercials had the correct captions (truth) at the bottom. His catch phrase was “trust me.”

joei.jpg

Joe Isuzu

Addendum Edit:

"Remember... If dinosaurs came back tomorrow, we would almost certainly all be eaten." :o

(2 responses to 2 posts for the price of 1)

Guess I should not put off the eye surgery any longer... Thanks for the fix.

Local activists alerts police over ousted PM's remarks

Buri Ram - Five local activists, including failed electoral candidates, Thursday filed a complaint calling for police to launch a probe into alleged offending remarks against the monarchy made by ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

The activists cited a transcript of Thaksin's interview released by the cable news station CNN on Wednesday as evidence.

They said Thaksin's remarks could be construed as a vengeful vendetta aimed at the King.

The five are Srimuang Watanacheep, Krichthep Upachan, Sanoh Phromsawat, Amnaj Chanmontri and Krai Praroonrum.

Lt Colonel Sanong Wankhot, duty officer of the Muang police station, acknowledged the complaint and would forward it to the headquarters of Royal Thai Police for review.

The Nation

The activists cited a transcript of Thaksin's interview released by the cable news station CNN on Wednesday as evidence.

anybody got a link ?

I think it was a Thai translation, the English version is posted. I suspect it has to do with what I said in post #297 on page 20.

anybody got a link ?

I think it was a Thai translation, the English version is posted. I suspect it has to do with what I said in post #297 on page 20.

cheers , back up to speed