Video: When your number is up - it's up. Motorcyclist killed by loose truck wheel.

rooster59

Video: When your number is up - it's up. Motorcyclist killed by loose truck wheel.

560000012865301.JPEG

Image: Manager

Thai media reported on what they called the most bad luck imaginable as a female motorcyclist travelling normally along a road was hit by a wheel that came off a truck trailer coming in the opposite direction.

CCTV showed the wheel come loose from the truck, bounce over the central reservation and straight into the head of 28 year old Apinya Soithong a local to the Kamphaeng Saen area of Nakorn Pathom. 

Police found her dead with a broken neck and brain matter spread all over the road. 

A witness told them about the wheel coming off and this was confirmed later by the CCTV footage.

They went in search of the truck and found it parked further down the road towards Nakorn Pathom.

The driver had fled. 

Manager described the accident as an example of terrible misfortune that was scarcely believable.

It was not reported how or why the wheel would come loose.

Police are tracing the owner of the truck and looking for the driver who fled. 

Source: Manager

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-12-09
  • Sad 2

the lottery of driving in Thailand...most win but some lose...it will never change ...but we await another catchphrase ,a dog and pony show photo opp, with a new pie chart...followed by a seafood buffet...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

"I said maybe she could of reacted..."

You didn't, not in your 1st comment but you did in your 3rd one when you tried to backpedal to deflect some heat you were deservedly getting.

I'm not trying to deflect any heat. I wasn't expecting everyone to agree with, which is what makes forums interesting. I'm also not back peddling. Thai driving "skills" suck..

Negligence (truck companies), complacency, lack of training, no law enforcement and trust in amulets all contribute to the unacceptable death toll here...

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, cornishcarlos said:

I'm not trying to deflect any heat. I wasn't expecting everyone to agree with, which is what makes forums interesting. I'm also not back peddling. 

So why did you claim to have posted something that you didn't post except as a late afterthought?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

I have had many bikes, all my life, the first thing I never forgot is trying to avoid obstacles if possible,  instead of simply braking.

I looked 2/3 times this video: IMPOSSIBLE,  the wheel was not coming from the front of her but from the other side of the road, and the wheel bounced to the right exactly on her, inevitable.

Adding the speed of the motorbike with the speed of the wheel in the opposite direction we are over 100kmh. 

Absolutely spot on correct in your observation. The dissenters here, know nothing about anything having to do with driving, and the avoidance of those kinds of obstacles. When was the last time THEY tried to dodge a 50 kilogram wheel going 40 kph? She had one second to react. And that is if she happened to be looking directly at that truck, at exactly that instant! That much is obvious. 

Look, I believe in something that resembles the grim reaper. When your number is up, that is all they wrote. 

A "truck wheel" meaning, without the tire on it, is approximately 150 Lbs. A "wheel" meaning, with the tire on it, add 350Lbs to equal 500 Lbs. A "wheel" meaning, dual, a set of two side-by-side, equals 1,000 Lbs. A "wheel" meaning, the fifth-wheel, is approximately 1,200 Lbs.

https://www.answerbag.com/q_view/36422

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, crazygreg44 said:

i must agree with cornishcarlos to the point that I am indeed surprised that there wasn't a single flicker of reaction on her side, from when the wheel started rolling to when it was still on top of the center section, and a great part away . . so I was waiting  . . . waiting. . . . . for at least her rear brake light to light up . . . . but nothing . . . .

It all happened very fast . . . . 

I am riding motorcycles since I was 13 and I am often taken aback at the sights of apparent daydreaming  of motorcyclists on Thailand's roads.

When I go for a ride, my overall attention is everywhere from 5 yards towards 200 yards ahead . . to the right, to  the rear and to the left, and in Thailand, also to the above!  You could call that "scouting" and it is part of my defensive riding style

another part of my defensive riding style incorporates "always expect the unexpected". In Thailand this mostly means the sudden appearance of dogs, motorcycles cutting in your way from the behind or trucks coming from ahead suddenly swerving from their lane . . . I have already had my fair share of all of the above.  So the "expect the unexpected" actually has grown stronger over my years in riding Thai roads.

Thus said the accident is tragic and could have been avoided if the truck had undergone proper & regular maintenance. It was absolutely not her fault and there was little, very little she could have done. Even braking would have still kept her in the wheel's path.

Just wondering there was nilch, nada reaction, as in my case I was able to count to three after the wheel had come off . . . again . . . . . but . . . then probably the poster is right who said that her view was obscurred by the shrubs in the median. She didn't see the wheel coming until it was across the shrubs

There can't be any excuse and there's no way around it.  Rest in Peace, young lady

Talk about full of contradictions. 

As for being able to count to three after the wheel had come off.........struth 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, BEVUP said:

Have to agree, all over in 3 sec & maybe the shrubs were obscuring the situation

It is quite possible that no one would see the tire. Having said that I have avoided so many things and people on roads that I feel it should be said.  But the responsibility falls on the truck owner.  Hope they had good 3rd party insurance.  And is that required here? 

4 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Yes I'm for real.... She wasn't paying attention, as usual on the roads here !!

It in no way takes responsibility away from the truck company, just an observation.

A wheel is bouncing towards you at 80-100km while you're approaching out at similar speeds.... .. if she was paying attention there was no time .imo

Lack of attention is part of the driving psyche..... for every human... perhaps not you. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Yes I'm for real.... She wasn't paying attention, as usual on the roads here !!

It in no way takes responsibility away from the truck company, just an observation.

The headline is somewhat  glib and I really don't think she had much chance here. It came fast from her right and the other side of the central reservation.

Hard to focus on all the dangers, road ahead, potholes, other vehicles.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1