Aussie student has leg amputated after Phuket scooter crash

webfact

Brisbane student has leg amputated after Thailand scooter crash

By Kimberley Caines

A woman who has had to have her leg amputated after it was mangled in a horrific accident in Thailand is staying in an incredibly positive frame of mind.

Stacey Liddle was on a dream trip for her 30th birthday when the scooter she was riding was hit by a bus.

The university student from Brisbane was flown to Sydney via medevac after spending more than three weeks at Vachira Hospital in Phuket, where she had three operations on her left leg.

Full story: https://www.9news.com.au/national/2017/12/11/18/09/thailand-scooter-crash-victim-remains-positive-after-having-leg-amputated

-- 9NEWS 2017-12-11

I read just the other day another Aussie couple had a motorcycle/scooter accident and his insurance wouldn't cover him because his licence had expired.

Would love to see the renters of these bikes provide insurance to cover people in Thailand as would be the case in Australia, and if you don't have an international licence, you cannot hire the bike, but we all know that money rules in Thailand and common sense is only something we can aspire to, that Thai's will stop chewing on grass eventually and catch up with the rest of the world.

Love her positive approach though, as she is going to turn her accident into a safety campaign warning people of the dangers of riding and reading the fine print on your insurance policies, a lesson learnt the hard way unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Gregster said:

I doubt it. She chose to blame her insurer’s small print instead.

Got to blame someone else, especially when seeking Gofundme money.

“I didn’t read the fine print of my Covermore insurance. It was my fault,” she said.

She’s only admitting fault for not reading the fine print...which is common and therefore more understandable by the GoFundMe donators.

She chose not to admit fault for riding unlicensed...not so acceptable by the GoFundMe donators maybe?

4 minutes ago, Oziex1 said:

I seem to recall the Thai medicos boldly stating that she would not lose her leg.

I think they failed to add "In Thailand"

Yes because everyone has a crystal ball to see how an injury progresses or not , don't they. Never heard of 'complications'?

Another HorstrylianThai-basher for the sake of it.

'Croykey mite, they sed it would nivver cam aff.'

Edited by Psimbo

Australian student has leg amputated after Phuket motorbike crash

The Phuket News

1512992221_1-org.jpg

Stacey Liddle is staying incredibly positive about her experience, but still urging travellers to check their travel insurance coverage before setting off. Photo: Stacey Liddle / Facebook

PHUKET:-- Despite clear assurances from doctors at Vachira Phuket Hospital in Phuket Town to the contrary, an Australian woman has had to have her leg amputated after it was crushed by a bus in a motorbike accident in Phuket.

Stacey Liddle, a university student from Brisbane, had her left leg crushed by a tour bus after a collision near Chalong Circle on Oct 26. She was in Phuket to celebrate her 30th birthday.

Ms Liddle was riding a rental motorbike when she and a passing tour bus collided. She was knocked to the road and the bus’ back wheels ran over her leg.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/australian-student-has-leg-amputated-after-phuket-motorbike-crash-65077.php#VuPMsh8yG2x0zCec.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-12-11

3 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Yes because everyone has a crystal ball to see how an injury progresses or not , don't they. Never heard of 'complications'?

Another HorstrylianThai-basher for the sake of it.

'Croykey mite, they sed it would nivver cam aff.'

As I said it was a bold statement predicting a positive outcome that was not to be. 

They could have and should have chosen their words better as they are Medical Professionals, also the statement was made after and in response to negative comments from others regarding the possibility of the the young woman losing her leg.

There is some possibility that the statement was face saving and even with their medical tourism in mind.

Finally your Aussie accent sucks.

Well at least in this article she didn't rubbish the hospital in Thailand that was doing it's utmost to help her with what they have available.  (  like she did before )

Now she's actually admitted that she didn't read her insurance policy  ....  

She failed to mention that she could have been covered if she paid an extra premium on the policy ....

She however failed to mention that ( i believe )    she didn't even hold a motorbike licence anyway ... so no cover anyway.

expensive lesson learned .....