Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Thailand has the deadliest roads in the world, new report claims

webfact

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, webfact said:

The cameras would help to discourage traffic violations as motorists would know that the chances of being caught on video were heightened, while footage could be posted on social media, leading to public condemnation that would be worse than legal punishment,

And this type of thinking is why thai roads are the worst in the world.

Pathetic is way back there in the rear view mirror..... law enforcement bodies need to be slapped with a class action suit charging them with extreme lack of duty of care, resulting in this daily carnage wrought (mainly) on their citizens.

i know... holding law enforcement bodies accountable for not enforcing the law is naive of me.... but the stupidity is staggering

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Dashboard cameras proposed as Thailand claims worst traffic fatality ranking

By The Nation

9377ab9a34a36b4c540a54d4e278f1f1.jpeg

As Thailand is unofficially acknowledged as having the highest fatality rate in road accidents worldwide, road safety advocates and police are backing a proposal that would see as many as 80 per cent of cars equipped with dashboard cameras and carrying “Photo in Car” stickers to discourage violations.

Don’t Drive Drunk Foundation secretary-general Dr Taejing Siripanich said Thailand last month ranked highest in per capita road fatalities on the World Atlas website. The previous top-ranked country, Libya, was not even in the top 30 because many deaths blamed on accidents had been re-evaluated to reflect violent deaths in that country’s civil war.

As a result, Thailand, previously ranked second, unofficially took the top spot with an estimated road accident death rate of 36.2 per 100,000, but the World Health Organisation has not yet announced formal statistics, he said. After Thailand on the list are Malawi (35), Liberia (33.7), the Democratic Republic of the Congo (33.2) and Tanzania (32.9).

Such finding were in line with his foundation’s studies, Taejing said, which showed that Thailand saw 22,000 deaths in road accidents in 2016, or approximately 50 to 60 cases per day, while 1 million people were wounded and sought hospital treatments each year, 60,000 of whom were permanently disabled.

“Various measures have been implemented in the past 20 years to boost road safety but they weren’t so successful because Thais know what actions break the law but do them anyway as they have become conceited after not getting caught,” Taejing said.

The cameras would help to discourage traffic violations as motorists would know that the chances of being caught on video were heightened, while footage could be posted on social media, leading to public condemnation that would be worse than legal punishment, he said.

“If all cars on Thai roads had cameras, traffic law violations would be greatly reduced,” he added.

Taejing said his foundation had proposed the measure to Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha, who had agreed and issued instructions in May last year for the Finance Ministry to consider tax incentives for dashboard cameras and for Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam to implement the plan in the national road safety strategy.

However, there had not been any concrete action to date, he said.

Police’s Special Branch Bureau 3 commander Pol Maj-General Ekkarak Limsangkat said video and audio from dashboard cameras could also be used as evidence in court, which could incentivise installations so motorists would have a record to protect themselves in case of a conflict.

The application of technology could also help protect innocent people and punish wrongdoers because the culprits in many hit-and-run cases escaped justice after fleeing the scene, he said.

People would be dissuaded from breaking the law when all cars are equipped with cameras and carry the “Photo in Car” sticker, he added.

The comments were made during the 13th Thailand Road Safety Seminar held at Bangkok’s BITEC Bangna Exhibition Centre last week.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30333764

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-12-12

"People would be dissuaded from breaking the law when all cars are equipped with cameras and carry the “Photo in Car” sticker, he added."

Who thinks of these stupid ideas and dare to say that in public?

Yes lack of educators and trainers....where do they come from and who trains them? Then who trains the police on how to enforce?

again the problem is not the fatality rate but overwhelming poor driving habits and behaviors Continuously....

it doesn't do any good to teach 5 year olds...

Such finding were in line with his foundation’s studies, Taejing said, which showed that Thailand saw 22,000 deaths in road accidents in 2016, or approximately 50 to 60 cases per day, while 1 million people were wounded and sought hospital treatments each year, 60,000 of whom were permanently disabled.

And my guess is that a lot of bribery goes to the general(s) who make all the deals with the industries.

Amazing that no data seems to exist where people who die right after an accident, on the way to the hospital, or later pass away, are included. It must be a high number, I'd guess. 

5 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

Prayuth and his croonies must be proud to have achieved the top rank in read fatalities with his "government".

3 times cheerio for our dear Junta leader.

But he doesn't seem to realize that it's basically only HIS own fault that it is how it is. Ignorance and arrogance pure. 

The application of technology could also help protect innocent people and punish wrongdoers because the culprits in many hit-and-run cases escaped justice after fleeing the scene, he said

And quite a lot of 500 baht bills will change the owner soon. 

"Congratulations, Khun Prayut" !! You've finally done the best job in your career and made this so peace loving country to the most dangerous one for good looking girls in tiny bikinis and drivers of all sorts of vehicles. Great job !!

4 hours ago, wavemanwww said:

An open letter to the PM of Thailand,

For the sake of your country. Tell the fat ass cops to get off their ass and set up random booze patrols  plus main side road booze buses like we do in Australia and ensure fines are heavy and do not go directly to corrupt cops as tea money.  A system to set up also where no payment goes directly to a copper but a central collection agency will remove that issue. In short follow the Australian system and I am  confident that road deaths will drop by 20% or more in one year and further reduce ongoing. You might even get rewarded with a Nobel Peace prize plus thanks from the families who have lost loved ones in the past and have lost no one in the future! Otherwise remain a low life third world country if no change to the current system.

Yeah. that's the ticket; make Thailand like Australia.

Putting people under more surveillance as the solution, eh?  I was wondering where all of this sudden interest in high level of road deaths was going. I suppose there is a Thai or Chinese dash camera manufacturer that has been behind all of the excitement about something that has been well known for years.

While dash cams might have 'some' effect, you cannot continue to drive cars fast built for high speed roadways on country roads designed more than fifty years ago. The highways and infrastructure must change or it will be all for nothing. 

Thailand is spending a lot of money extending the BTS and MRT systems with plans for high speed rails but what about all those people who want cars, have cars and refuse to use public transportation? They will still drive reckless and in some cases drunk, dash cam or not. What is planned for roadway improvement and driver education? Improvement such as barriers to separate traffic flow. My last trip to Chiang Mai in August was a harrowing experience on some parts of the drive simply because the Honda we were in was going slower than the big Toyota Tundra truck behind us that continued to try to 'push' us faster. It was my continued insistence that if we 'pullover and let him pass' my gf would not loose face and we would live to drive the roads again.

Problem in Thailand they only count people who die at the scene and not ones who die later in hospital, so in fact the figures should be a lot worse.

Fines are a joke, fining people who have no license, insurance or helmet and then letting them drive off after they pay a small fine, why not impound the vehicle or even crush them like they do in some countries.

Dashboard cameras would be a complete waste of time and money in Thailand as there aren't any coppers on the roads enforcing the traffic rules. The police input is to take the easy path of road stops to check for licences and helmets. An efficient police chief with balls in any Thai city could clean up the problems in no more than a month. 200B for no helmet or parking on the footpath, 500 - 1000B for no lights. driving on the wrong side of the road, motor bikes weaving in and out of traffic, changing lanes without a signal etc. Coppers taking bribes to be sacked, never to have a government job again. It really isn't rocket science, and would not be very hard  to implement, with immediate and dramatic results. Cut out the Thai bureaucratic bullshit and just get on with the job

How about teaching people to drive properly instead of relying on after the fact technology?

Teach drivers what lane they should be in, what speed they should be driving at on what roads.

Make motorcycles more accountable.

I drive long distances a lot, and I see some scary shot on the roads.

My wife and daughter see the same shit, and now they are better drivers because I have made a point of explaining to them as we drive.

All of this reactionist action makes me sick, fix the problem from the start, better training and stricter testing.

I do not want Thailand to turn into a western state, I enjoy Thailand as it is, but sort out the roads.

This is a country that prides itself on being a polite nation, but put the nationals behind the wheel and they become impolite killers.....

My Thai wife says it is because the drivers are so aggressive and I say , not aggressive but

stupid as they do not use any caution, or common sense. They cut lanes with no signals,

speed well above the posted speed right into an accident. Text and talk on cell phones right into

the accident, drive totally drunk or high. Plus the police only fine them and send them on their

way instead of arresting them on the spot and towing and taking their vehices away.

Third World Country!

Geezer

Thailand  already has lots of vehicles with dash cams and one thing they do is provide lots

of pictures of crashes, people fighting (road rage). Evidence of stupid drivers doing stupid

things. Bad people doing bad things like pounding their pud whilst driving taxis, etc.

Bad thing though is, none of this will change drivers attitudes, so more horrific accidents will

happen and we will see many of those provided by dash cams, roadway cams, security cams.

Guess  we will continue to be entertained by all this while Thailand enjoys its new #1 status.

Geezer

Cameras are that the answer hey? The bloody answer is make the cop force do its job That is the answer  Are they that bloody stupid they cannot see that? I am getting sick of seeing cops making bad drivers who broke the law doing push -ups on footpaths or being given roses. The cops are making a joke of the law and people die from this The drivers have no respect for the law and they know they can get away with breaking it Hence they die and its more than 22,000 dead They are the numbers that die at scene of accident not hospital More like 30,000 dead

Quite laughable to expect Thai police to take action on every single piece of bad driver dash cam footage presented to them. 

All idiot driving footage should instead be sent to a television studio for our viewing enjoyment....with the Benny Hill   theme playing in the background. 

Working surveillance cameras on the roads, at junctions and on police vehicles  would do more. Arresting those that whiz through junctions and perform dangerous actions and charge them. The fines also need to be truly punitive.

Yet again someone driving down the wrong side of a dual carriageway at me yesterday, to my right, the reason, to save driving a little further to the next place where a U-Turn is possible. The sheer stupidity and arrogance of drivers here where risking the lives of others is subordinate to them saving 2-3 minutes or km.

I see we have TV campaigns now which is good, but we have a problem of a nation of scoff laws, being policed by a group of corrupt scoff laws.

...for a start,  any excessive speeding (say 15 km above the limit), drunk/influence driving - seize and impound the vehicle for one year with a hefty 100'000 THB  fine or 6 months jail......this could be a good start....it is not that complicated ?...perhaps then some may learn ?.....

but please relax.....naturally this rule only applies to the local Tom, Dick, Harry and Somchai and naturally not to our friendly, connected hi-so's...

14 hours ago, webfact said:

Dashboard cameras proposed as Thailand claims worst traffic fatality ranking

By The Nation

9377ab9a34a36b4c540a54d4e278f1f1.jpeg

As Thailand is unofficially acknowledged as having the highest fatality rate in road accidents worldwide, road safety advocates and police are backing a proposal that would see as many as 80 per cent of cars equipped with dashboard cameras and carrying “Photo in Car” stickers to discourage violations.

Don’t Drive Drunk Foundation secretary-general Dr Taejing Siripanich said Thailand last month ranked highest in per capita road fatalities on the World Atlas website. The previous top-ranked country, Libya, was not even in the top 30 because many deaths blamed on accidents had been re-evaluated to reflect violent deaths in that country’s civil war.

As a result, Thailand, previously ranked second, unofficially took the top spot with an estimated road accident death rate of 36.2 per 100,000, but the World Health Organisation has not yet announced formal statistics, he said. After Thailand on the list are Malawi (35), Liberia (33.7), the Democratic Republic of the Congo (33.2) and Tanzania (32.9).

“Various measures have been implemented in the past 20 years to boost road safety but they weren’t so successful because Thais know what actions break the law but do them anyway as they have become conceited after not getting caught,” Taejing said.

The cameras would help to discourage traffic violations as motorists would know that the chances of being caught on video were heightened, while footage could be posted on social media, leading to public condemnation that would be worse than legal punishment, he said.

“If all cars on Thai roads had cameras, traffic law violations would be greatly reduced,” he added.

Taejing said his foundation had proposed the measure to Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha, who had agreed and issued instructions in May last year for the Finance Ministry to consider tax incentives for dashboard cameras and for Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam to implement the plan in the national road safety strategy.

However, there had not been any concrete action to date, he said.

Police’s Special Branch Bureau 3 commander Pol Maj-General Ekkarak Limsangkat said video and audio from dashboard cameras could also be used as evidence in court, which could incentivise installations so motorists would have a record to protect themselves in case of a conflict.

The application of technology could also help protect innocent people and punish wrongdoers because the culprits in many hit-and-run cases escaped justice after fleeing the scene, he said.

People would be dissuaded from breaking the law when all cars are equipped with cameras and carry the “Photo in Car” sticker, he added.

The comments were made during the 13th Thailand Road Safety Seminar held at Bangkok’s BITEC Bangna Exhibition Centre last week.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30333764

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-12-12

I have YouTube stickers on my truck. They know they are being videoed. It works great at police checkpoints too. They want nothing to do with me.

Archived