Bangkok Metropolitan Police to enforce tougher law on motorbike drivers

webfact

Metropolitan police to enforce tougher law on motorbike drivers

By Thai PBS

helmet1.jpg

Metropolitan Police Bureau (MPB) will enforce a tougher law on motorcycle drivers who will face vehicle confiscation if they are caught for not wearing crash helmets.

The impounded vehicles will be returned to drivers once they show up at the police stations with the helmets.

The police believed the measure, which will be fully enforced on Dec 25, will reduce the number of deaths and injuries caused by motorcycle riders and pillion riders not wearing helmets.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/metropolitan-police-enforce-tougher-law-motorbike-drivers/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-12-12

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they'll have to get the RTP to wear helmets first, and stop riding on pavements and up one way streets the wrong way, then maybe they can turn their attention to the general public.

but seriously, it would be a start if the the police in bangkok actually enforce this, which i doubt, but why only bangkok? and how about the other law breakers on the roads?

I would like too see some statistics as to percentages of deaths per vehicle class, who was wrong and if motorcycles were involved, how many were not wearing helmets and that being the cause of death. Helmet or not, if a truck pulling a tandem trailer hauling gravel runs over a motorcyclist on the left side of the road, the motorcyclist is dead meat. I'm not convinced that Thailand's roads are the most dangerous in the world because of motorcyclists not wearing helmets.

It must have something to do with the way people drive, all vehicles. Where can I get some definitive stats?

19 minutes ago, gr8fldanielle said:

I would like too see some statistics as to percentages of deaths per vehicle class, who was wrong and if motorcycles were involved, how many were not wearing helmets and that being the cause of death. Helmet or not, if a truck pulling a tandem trailer hauling gravel runs over a motorcyclist on the left side of the road, the motorcyclist is dead meat. I'm not convinced that Thailand's roads are the most dangerous in the world because of motorcyclists not wearing helmets.

It must have something to do with the way people drive, all vehicles. Where can I get some definitive stats?

correct, they are overstating the effectiveness of wearing a helmet, there are limitations and most people would be surprised  

helmets are tested and designed for impacts up to about 20-30kph, they are good for a fall to the road from bike seat height but not much else, hit something solid at over 30kph with your helmeted head or any other part of your body for that matter and the chances are you will receive a fatal injury. 

6 minutes ago, smedly said:

correct, they are overstating the effectiveness of wearing a helmet, there are limitations and most people would be surprised  

helmets are tested and designed for impacts up to about 20-30kph, they are good for a fall to the road from bike seat height but not much else, hit something solid at over 30kph with your helmeted head or any other part of your body for that matter and the chances are you will receive a fatal injury. 

That is incorrect,  helmets are tested at this impact speed because in the majority of instances the riders head will not impact the ground at any greater speed than this. There is no doubt that high speed crashes cause severe blunt trauma injuries, but the use of helmets has statistically been shown to reduce fatalities by up to 79%, this is confirmed by studies done independently in many countries.

48 minutes ago, Seismic said:

That is incorrect,  helmets are tested at this impact speed because in the majority of instances the riders head will not impact the ground at any greater speed than this. There is no doubt that high speed crashes cause severe blunt trauma injuries, but the use of helmets has statistically been shown to reduce fatalities by up to 79%, this is confirmed by studies done independently in many countries.

what I said is not incorrect, in fact you just repeated it, as far as helmets are concerned they will protect from a drop to the ground from seat height, however wearing a helmet in Thailand may not have a huge impact on road safety and fatalities because there are many other issues involved that need attention first, it would take a detailed study to determine this but from what I have seen here - many motorbike fatalities involve horrific impacts were a helmet would have made no contribution at all.

Edited by smedly

1 hour ago, gr8fldanielle said:

you are correct, a helmet may have limited effect in Thailand because of other road safety issues like speeding and general carelessness, like I said above - a helmet is designed for a specific type of impact and injury prevention

Edited by smedly

HELMETS SAVE LIVES  why do you think mototcyce racers wear helmets they dont often hit a solid object but when the do come off they aint doing 40 mph and they always walk away, now you put a thai on a bike and let him roll down the road on his head at 40 mph , different story

3 hours ago, gr8fldanielle said:

I think part of the problem is that they learn to drive on Motorbikes, and keep the bad habits when they're on 4 wheels.

For example - weaving from lane to lane.   Indicating a turn AFTER they've started turning.  Not looking to their right at intersections.  Thinking they can stop on a satang - but they're moving a tonne of metal!

BTW:  It's all very well proposing these marvellous new traffic ideas for BKK, but there are other cities here too!!

Translated: We're shaking down the poorer and least influential members of society because it's easier to do than enforcing traffic laws that may net some influential puu-yais and cause an embarrassment to the heads of the police departments.

This nonsense is all about harvesting the lowest fruit on the tree and then publicizing that the police are actually doing something significant.  They are not addressing the issue of aggressive car and truck drivers who put motorcyclists in danger - the people actually killing the many of the motorcyclists. 

Edited by connda

I'd say they're just looking for the easiest way off the top of that list. Bet they'll have a charge for impounding (getting the bike to the police station). That'll be another revenue building market in itself.

I never liked helmets & still don't; however, I can testify they do save lives or serious injuries 1st hand. I was going at a pretty good clip (fast) when I went down with a simple half helmet. The helmet got some serious gouges on one side. A slit second of impact. If that was my exposed head .............................

" The impounded vehicles will be returned to drivers once they show up at the police stations with the helmets."

They will just borrow a helmet from a friend and be back riding again within the hour.    Confiscation should be for a minimum of 14 days, and the vehicle returned when a helmet is produced and a 5,000baht fine is paid. They might just start to learn then.

Everything here in Thailand is done in half measures and usually not at all!

Edited by prakhonchai nick

What a joke.   These press releases regarding helmets, wearing seat belts in cars/trucks, etc., come out several times per year....usually before a holiday period.   It's just regurgitated talk with little action...and what little action does occur is for a brief period.

What is killing/injuring so many many motorcycle riders in Thailand is just their stupid and fast driving like riding on the center line between two lanes of traffic...riding too fast....squeezing between two other vehicles in each lane where the motorcycle loses control/gets squashed between two vehicles....running stop lights....not signaling or looking when turning....riding intoxicated...just almost complete lack of safety and traffic rules.   And with no police out cruzing on the roads to immediately ticket such crazy riding, motorcyclists have little fear and incentive to drive safely.

And even those that wear helmets (cheap helmets which are not much stronger than tupperware) still usually end up getting head injuries/killed because these tupperware-quality helmets used without the chin strap to keep the helmet from flying off the head offer little head protection.

7 hours ago, samsensam said:

they'll have to get the RTP to wear helmets first, and stop riding on pavements and up one way streets the wrong way, then maybe they can turn their attention to the general public.

but seriously, it would be a start if the the police in bangkok actually enforce this, which i doubt, but why only bangkok? and how about the other law breakers on the roads?

Just FULLY ENFORCED on Dec 25?????? what happens for the other 364 days of the year????

7 hours ago, samsensam said:

Wel, when they have not managed to enforce the Law until now by giving tickets for not using helmets (except for the foreigners) - I doubt they will enforce the confiscation Law in a proper way - it might as well be a huge Space issue because of all the bikes and to not forget when all the owners comes back the NeXT day With their helmets to collect their bikes...:intheclub:.......;)

Edited by ttrd

At last something sensible being done , now make it all of Thailand . 

Also vehicles with no lights at the rear or the front 3000 baht fine , no driving license vehice impounded until person riding it goes to police station with a license . People not wearing seat belts 3000 baht fine . These are all things easy to check on but will stop a lot of deaths . 

8 hours ago, gr8fldanielle said:

Where can I get some definitive stats?

Out of thin air... seems to be where a lot of folk look

but to be serious for a moment.... when official departments can’t even agree on stats ( and suggest in vehicle cameras as a panacea), you, my friend, have no hope in hell of getting info to answer those questions.... unfortunately

ironically, those answers would be a basis for developing a sane , logical and workable strategy to combat the carnage.  

Why do Thais start to turn then the indicator light comes on?

why are they not properly taught in DR Ed?

one uses the turn  signal 50-200 feet ahead of the behavior...it shows planning of an action....

thais think only about themselves rather than being a part of a functioning system 

The proposed regulations are implemented divisional. In this case only by the Metropolitan Police Division, Bangkok 

Below the Divisions:

The Thai police are subdivided into numerable regions and services, each enjoying their own powers.

* Royal Thai Police Headquarters - Bangkok
Director-General of Police
* Border Patrol Police Division 40,000 paramilitary force
BPP General Staff Division
BPP Tactical Training Division
BPP Support Division
BPP Nawut Sondetya Hospital
BPP Village Scout Center
BPP Counter-Insurgency Training Center
BPP Districts 1 thru 4
Police Aerial Reinforcement Unit (PARU)
+ Airborne Training
+ Naresuan 261 Counter-Terrorism Unit (formerly the 4th Company PARU)
+ Sea Air Rescue Unit
* Bangkok Metropolitan Police
* Central Investigation Bureau - national coordinating headquarters which assist provincial and metropolitan components in preventing and suppressing criminal activity and in minimizing threats to national security.
Crime Suppression Division, Responsible for investigating and enforcing Thai criminal laws
+ Emergency Unit(s) - a mobile unit used to suppress riots and public disorders, combat sabotage, counterfeiting, fraud, illegal gambling, narcotics trafficking, secret societies, and organized crime.
Forestry Police Division
Highway Police Division
Marine Police Division
Railroad Police Division
Special Branch Division
Licenses Division - registers and licenses all of the following: firearms, explosives, vehicles, aircraft, boats, gambling establishments, and various other items and organizations.
Criminal Records Office
Scientific Crime Detection Laboratory
* Office of Immigration Bureau
* Narcotics Suppression Bureau
* Office Of Logistics
Aviation Division
* Office of Royal Court Security Police
Crown Prince's Royal Protective Unit
+ Crown Prince Royal Protective Unit 'Dechochai Knight 3'
* Provincial Police Division - divided into 9 regions covering the 75 Provinces of Thailand except metropolitan Bangkok and the border areas.
Region 1 Ayuthaya
Region 2 Chonburi
Region 3 Nakhon Ratchasima
Region 4 Khon Kaen
Region 5 Chiang Mai
Region 6 Phitsanulok
Region 7 Nakhon Pathom
Region 8 Surat Thani
Region 9 Songkhla
Chaiya Training
Special Operations Units
* 191 Special Branch Police
Arintharat 26 Special Operations Unit
* Training Division
* Tourist Police - Recently also recruiting foreign national volunteers living in Thailand.
Training
* Immigration Police Division
* Marine Police Division
* Metropolitan Police Division, Bangkok
* Narcotics Suppression Division
* Provincial Police Division