Fears grow across the Atlantic over Brexit fallout

webfact

1 hour ago, observer90210 said:

Another brillant alarmist prediction, intended to fear,  from the Wall Street gurus,  who never saw the crisis in 2007-2008 emerging ?

The globalists create the predictions which they want the masses to believe, for rather obvious reasons. And they brush aside the catastrophes that their failed experiments create, for the same obvious reasons. The only surprise is that they continue to think that they can keep fooling all of the people all of the time.

Of course all trading relations would be worse then what they have now. Seems normal to me why give them something better if they want to leave. Seems totally illogical and yes the UK will suffer of course they need the EU more then the EU needs them trading wise. They are just a small country and will lose out a lot. But at least they are free (did i not read somewhere they would keep most EU laws). So worse trading opportunities and still keeping most EU laws.. seems like a lot of freedom *LOL*

Well, at least the decision to keep those laws was made by a government and more importantly a parliament which we elected, and not an executive drawn from other countries!

That is the point - it all boils down to our sovereignty. Maybe the British people, who voted to leave, and then endorsed that decision in a general election, are prepared to trade being worse off for regaining that sovereignty?

Sent from my KENNY using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 hours ago, JAG said:

Well, at least the decision to keep those laws was made by a government and more importantly a parliament which we elected, and not an executive drawn from other countries!

That is the point - it all boils down to our sovereignty. Maybe the British people, who voted to leave, and then endorsed that decision in a general election, are prepared to trade being worse off for regaining that sovereignty?

Sent from my KENNY using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Most people would rather have good income then sovereignty as long as they were not treated badly. Just look here in Thailand no one is revolting yet. But the Brits can do what they want, just don't expect the EU to give them a better deal later than what they have now that would be insane. 

50 minutes ago, robblok said:

Most people would rather have good income then sovereignty as long as they were not treated badly. Just look here in Thailand no one is revolting yet. But the Brits can do what they want, just don't expect the EU to give them a better deal later than what they have now that would be insane. 

You assume too much and know and know too little.

Edited by nauseus

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Well of course, with regard to the views of the citizens of all the EU countries except for the UK, we don't really know if they prefer a "better income" or to regain their sovereignty. Certainly their governments have no intention of allowing them to make that choice. The UK only got to make the choice because David Cameron's hand was forced to allow it, largely as a result of the utter intransigence of the unelected cabal who effectively govern the EU, and who refused to countenance any real reform.

As for the future "deal", well I don't think anyone but a fool would expect a "better deal". Mind you there is the view (to which I personally subscribe) that the present deal, (and any that would be imposed in the event that the UK suddenly decided to remain in the EU) are so poor that we would be better off out. 

Edited by JAG

23 minutes ago, JAG said:

Well of course, with regard to the views of the citizens of all the EU countries except for the UK, we don't really know if they prefer a "better income" or to regain their sovereignty. Certainly their governments have no intention of allowing them to make that choice. The UK only got to make the choice because David Cameron's hand was forced to allow it, largely as a result of the utter intransigence of the unelected cabal who effectively govern the EU, and who refused to countenance any real reform.

As for the future "deal", well I don't think anyone but a fool would expect a "better deal". Mind you there is the view (to which I personally subscribe) that the present deal, (and any that would be imposed in the event that the UK suddenly decided to remain in the EU) are so poor that we would be better off out. 

That is your opinion of course your entitled to it, good thing we both agree on the fact that they won't get a better deal. As for giving up some sovereignty for more income I disagree with your opinion in my opinion most people look into their wallet to see how good a government is doing, not so much in sovereignty. Lets agree to disagree. 

I don't think the UK will decide to stay in the the EU but if they did they would have the same deal they have now. It was a good deal the EU, is good and bad IMHO but going out is stupid. The UK once was a world power now it is not anymore and being part of a large block is then more useful. I know that for my awfully small country dependent on trade it would be foolish to leave the EU. Not saying the EU is all good because its not. 

3 hours ago, robblok said:

That is your opinion of course your entitled to it, good thing we both agree on the fact that they won't get a better deal. As for giving up some sovereignty for more income I disagree with your opinion in my opinion most people look into their wallet to see how good a government is doing, not so much in sovereignty. Lets agree to disagree. 

I don't think the UK will decide to stay in the the EU but if they did they would have the same deal they have now. It was a good deal the EU, is good and bad IMHO but going out is stupid. The UK once was a world power now it is not anymore and being part of a large block is then more useful. I know that for my awfully small country dependent on trade it would be foolish to leave the EU. Not saying the EU is all good because its not. 

The deal with the EU has never been a good one. When we joined the EEC (as the EU was known back then), we had trade parity, more-or-less. Within a year, we had a substantial trade deficit, and thus it has remained. It's not as if we get any good deals on the goods we import from Europe: we could get nearly everything cheaper from world markets if weren't obliged to buy them via punitive EU trade agreements (so much for gravity economics :laugh:). Hell! Europe is even ripping us off within it's own market: go and price up a German car on the continent. The notion that being in the EU has helped us economically is one of the great illusions of our time.

7 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

The deal with the EU has never been a good one. When we joined the EEC (as the EU was known back then), we had trade parity, more-or-less. Within a year, we had a substantial trade deficit, and thus it has remained. It's not as if we get any good deals on the goods we import from Europe: we could get nearly everything cheaper from world markets if weren't obliged to buy them via punitive EU trade agreements (so much for gravity economics :laugh:). Hell! Europe is even ripping us off within it's own market: go and price up a German car on the continent. The notion that being in the EU has helped us economically is one of the great illusions of our time.

Could you show me the source that show that the UK can get nearly everything cheaper from World Markets? The exception being if it comes from where I think you pulled it out of, I'd rather not see.

22 hours ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

That's what Galtieri and Argentina thought!

30 plus  years  on from a  distant  skirmish that  was  mostly  based  on  distraction can hardly  be likened  to  the  very  "at  home" political  trench  warfare of  Brexit !

But  perhaps  the Battle  of  the  Somme  has  better  comparison?

On 12/14/2017 at 5:54 PM, ilostmypassword said:

Could you show me the source that show that the UK can get nearly everything cheaper from World Markets? The exception being if it comes from where I think you pulled it out of, I'd rather not see.

I was astounded at how much higher the prices are on many import goods in the UK, compared to the USA.    Didn't realize it until my business travels put me in close proximity to a lot of UK folks, many of whom are just as astounded- them not in a good way like I am.

I'm not claiming that's because of the EU, but it's certainly one possibility.

1 hour ago, impulse said:

I was astounded at how much higher the prices are on many import goods in the UK, compared to the USA.    Didn't realize it until my business travels put me in close proximity to a lot of UK folks, many of whom are just as astounded- them not in a good way like I am.

V.A.T. tax.

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Depends what goods you are referring to and what arrangements the importer has set up. But generally, retailed goods have a VAT rate of 20% applied in the UK and the EU specified minimum is 15%, anyway.  The EU coffers receive about 12-20% of all UK VAT receipts.

Good for the EU. No good for UK consumers if there is a good case to drop or scrap VAT for certain items, like tampons! :smile: