Beach smoking ban falls on deaf ears as Jomtien left in a complete mess

webfact

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Sophon went to the beach to investigate but found only frustrated visitors wondering when tourists would stop trashing the national assets.

From the photos of energy drink bottles amongst the butts, it is much more likely that this is Thai trash.  I am sure many tourists leave trash everywhere but after years of observation I know for sure that most of the trash is left by Thais.  In addition, there are no trash containers at most places.  I was at a large shopping center today and I looked all over for a trash can but there was none.  During my few visits to the toilet that we call a beach there are rarely any trash receptacles.  If there are any they are packed full and overflowing with smelly trash. 

So, you can blame the tourists and they are guilty but they are just a small part of the problem.  A programatic approach to trash management is required to fix this problem.  Alas, there is no immediate monetary reward for this so it will never be done!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, smedly said:

and they are blaming tourists/foreigners for this, as has already been stated - the first photo looks very typical of Thai waste, who would ever have thought of Thais littering..................outrageous 

I just thought how nicely set up that first pic was.Can anyone here verify the beach was as pictured ?

15 hours ago, ronrat said:

Next time get some sprayer knapsacks and council people guarded by Police. Anyone lights up hit them with seawater making sure smokes etc are wet and kick them off the beach. The Thais will lose face and that will be enough. The Russians etc will be indignant but who cares. Might be a few who carry on but a phone call to Embassy will sort it out. You have broken the law, pay a 100000 baht fine or shutup. If they hit anyone monkey house and deport. Nothing pisses a family off more than having one member sent home. Who presumably has keys to the car or the house.

Why not red paint?

20 hours ago, brucegoniners said:

First of all, I noticed no signs telling people not to smoke. And yes, people were smoking. Big shock.

How are tourists supposed to know without signs.

Second, the designated smoking areas are still on the beach. I could smell those nasty cigarettes from the beach. So what’s the point? 

what difference will signs make......on roads there are signs indicating speed limits, does anyone take any notice? Answer is a big NO

Most of the country is a trash receptacle.  Every piece of uninhabited land has mounds of trash on it, along with people burning trash throughout the country.  Thai waters and beaches are filled with trash.  Time to wake up and take responsibility.  If someone is proud of their country, why trash the place?

Need a few from February 1st to be fined to the maximum and banged up as well then plaster it across the news as that will soon get the message home to Thais and tourists alike.

Quit the filthy habit or hang em high no middle ground

Edited by Chivas

1 hour ago, Chivas said:

Need a few from February 1st to be fined to the maximum and banged up as well then plaster it across the news as that will soon get the message home to Thais and tourists alike.

Quit the filthy habit or hang em high no middle ground

"Quit the filthy habit or hang em high no middle ground"

Not telling people what to do with their own bodies are you?

6 minutes ago, sambum said:

No. The smokers are telling us to inhale their smell and smoke. It's time to stop smoking in public places.  When at home in private people should be allowed to take any drug they want. Nicotine is Pathetic and smokers are losers.

36 minutes ago, The manic said:

No. The smokers are telling us to inhale their smell and smoke. It's time to stop smoking in public places.  When at home in private people should be allowed to take any drug they want. Nicotine is Pathetic and smokers are losers.

You are out of your mind sorry you can't inhale cigarette smoke if you sit on the beach it is gasoline you inhale you just a fanatic no smoker there don't think before you talk look of the fact I am sure you sit enjoy your time on beach and inhale so much gasoline as all others do think before speaking 

22 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

You are out of your mind sorry you can't inhale cigarette smoke if you sit on the beach it is gasoline you inhale you just a fanatic no smoker there don't think before you talk look of the fact I am sure you sit enjoy your time on beach and inhale so much gasoline as all others do think before speaking 

Like many others, a fanatical anti smoker, spouting off about danger when there is very little. Notice they don't kick up the same fuss about diesel or petrol fumes?

i used to smoke, and if you want smokers to use ash trays, put up a lot of ash trays,

and while i'm at it, if you want to clear up the endless plastic bags covering the country:

put up a lot of trash cans, and have them picked up in a timely fashion before they overflow

Edited by poanoi

On 12/25/2017 at 9:37 AM, sambum said:

When the stench hits my nostrils then very much so.

Should be outlawed in public places everywhere. Let them stink their own places out not inflict their muck on others

3 hours ago, Chivas said:

Should be outlawed in public places everywhere. Let them stink their own places out not inflict their muck on others

Being a tad over dramatic as most of the anti smoking brigade tend to be, and as I have already mentioned, there's nobody kicking up about the filthy exhaust fumes spewing out of the back of the buses and trucks in this country.

Next it'll be the smell of beer obliterating the odour of your freshly laundered shirts or skirts!

P.S. I am an ex smoker, but tend to not label smokers as agents of the devil, or sub human species!

Edited by sambum

9 hours ago, sambum said:

Like many others, a fanatical anti smoker, spouting off about danger when there is very little. Notice they don't kick up the same fuss about diesel or petrol fumes?

Aren't most cars fitted with catalytic convertors?  When was the last time you saw a cigarette with one of those on the end?

In any case I regularly see posters on TV complaining about black smoke belching from buses and old cars.

7 hours ago, Chivas said:

lets get this clear

The beach ban is about littering, the law that they are trying to enforce is about environmental damage through littering, I personally have never littered on a beach as long as I can remember....have you ?

If you smoked 1000 cigarettes in one day it would not even come close to one breath from the fumes that you breath from vehicles ................................... you know the same one you likely drive and are seriously poisoning us all, the most carcinogenic and lethal thing you breath into your body on a daily basis and have likely done for years and have likely been producing for years comes from the exhaust of the internal combustion engine especially diesel 

Lets get into to chemicals you consume while eating ....................oh lets not even go there

simple people 

Edited by smedly

7 hours ago, smedly said:

If you smoked 1000 cigarettes in one day it would not even come close to one breath from the fumes that you breath from vehicles ................................... 

Another ridiculous comment ,in addition to those on page 6 . Once again demonstrating  denial and  diversion ( diesel , gas fumes ad nauseam )

And also  once again  demonstrating  smoking  impaired "thinking"  Hello February 1 !!

Edited by morrobay
add

11 hours ago, smedly said:

If you smoked 1000 cigarettes in one day it would not even come close to one breath from the fumes that you breath from vehicles

One breath from the exhaust fumes of vehicles would be less damaging to a human than smoking 1000 cigarettes?

I've read that correctly?