Are the 10% Phuket beach zones becoming 20% zones?

webfact

Are the 10% beach zones becoming 20% zones?

“However, it is tourism high season now and the operator might have increased the number of their rented umbrellas, making it appear more packed on the beach, but they are remaining in the zoning area.”

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

1_2015117155844625_pmhjqrnxJKyuxYtGUdmxB

Despite appearances that the 10% beach zones seem to be magically growing into the remaining 90% of Patong Beach, Patong Mayor, Chalermluck Kebsup has assured the Phuket Gazette that the rule remains the same and the operators are still following the rules for the placement of sun lounges and umbrellas.

“The 10% zoning remains the same and there are signs that clearly specify the area of 10%. There are also officers from the Patong Municipality, police officers and some military officers conducting random surveys at the beach.”

“However, it is tourism high season now and the operator might have increased the number of their rented umbrellas, making it appear more packed on the beach, but they are remaining in the zoning area,” she noted.

Full story: https://www.phuketgazette.net/news/10-beach-zones-becoming-20-zones

pgazette_logo-20170817.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2017-12-13

I guess it's time that I repeated my post of 19 November. 

"I have seen the "10% beach chair zones" growing so, out of curiosity, I measured the percentage of beach length covered by sun loungers on a few beaches. The blocks of umbrellas are easily visible on Google Earth and I think their measuring tools are pretty accurate. The measurements are based on satellite photos dated 16 April 2017, the end of last high season.

Karon Beach has 5 blocks of chairs covering 27% of the length of the beach (excluding chairs within Centara Grand perimeter)

Karon Nui Beach, occupied by the Meridien Hotel, has loungers on 40% of its length in 2 blocks

Kata Beach has 2 blocks of sun loungers covering 30% of the beach length

Patong has 5 blocks of sun loungers covering 16% of the beach  length, but these are 3 or 4 rows deep

We may expect further expansion of the "10%" zones in the current high season!"

5 hours ago, observer90210 said:

So to respect the allotted space, the farang tourist ATM$ will be packed like sardines on 10% zone.

In fact to save space, I would recommend to have a law that requires each long chair to have at least 2 people per chair !! :welcomeani::cheesy:

Can we pick who we share with?

Yeah, so important for national security that police AND military officers are involved in surveying 10% allotments of beach chairs and umbrellas.

Wow - potential national security threats and possible enemies must be quaking in their boots at the Thai army doing their stuff...

It's so pathetic it's not even funny.

Of course they are, which is why there needs to be zero tolerance. The locals don't understand 'don't extract the urine'.

They were allowed back and immediately started extracting it in Kamala. At least a third of the beach in front of the cemetery has reverted and the taxi drivers are back in their usual haunts, even bringing back chairs, etc.

'Compromise' is seen as weakness and to be taken advantage of.

On Samui, this not a problem. 

All beaches faces a resort, the resorts have beach chairs and umbrellas on their private premises. 

No pirate entrepreneurs are allowed on the beach. 

Plus side is also that the resorts have staff cleaning the beach every morning before breakfast 

11 hours ago, chub said:

I guess it's time that I repeated my post of 19 November. 

"I have seen the "10% beach chair zones" growing so, out of curiosity, I measured the percentage of beach length covered by sun loungers on a few beaches. The blocks of umbrellas are easily visible on Google Earth and I think their measuring tools are pretty accurate. The measurements are based on satellite photos dated 16 April 2017, the end of last high season.

Karon Beach has 5 blocks of chairs covering 27% of the length of the beach (excluding chairs within Centara Grand perimeter)

Karon Nui Beach, occupied by the Meridien Hotel, has loungers on 40% of its length in 2 blocks

Kata Beach has 2 blocks of sun loungers covering 30% of the beach length

Patong has 5 blocks of sun loungers covering 16% of the beach  length, but these are 3 or 4 rows deep

We may expect further expansion of the "10%" zones in the current high season!"

I bet you can't wait for the high speed Rail system to do some serious trainspotting. 

Edited by tryasimight

I had a walk on Karon Beach couple of days ago and it does appear that the 10% zones have approximately doubled in size from last season. Also the 10% zone signs proudly displayed last year seem to have disappeared, though they could of course have been hidden somewhere behind the new chairs.

Of course, the operators will be the loudest complainants if the authorities ban beds and umbrellas again due to this encroachment.

Let's see what happens when tourism properly picks up after Christmas.

41 minutes ago, PAIBKK said:

I won't go to Phuke it. Been there once, seen it, did it and survived it.
I go to Bali !!!

Bali has also been raped much like Phuket.  First time in Bali 1986 ... wonderfull.  Returned 1996 ,,, going downhill. Took wife in 2014 ... terrible. Beaches a plastic rubbish tip disaster. Touts every where.

1 hour ago, martinhp said:

There is room for everyone even you and your lack of understanding 

I'm sure some people enjoy sitting in traffic jams and not going more then 2 km in 45 minutes, but I'm not one of them.  Island roads are bursting at the seams and it's only getting worse.