Girl friend adopting my Son

offset

I know someone who effectively did exactly this when they needed a gestational surrogate to carry their baby.

Yes. The mother listed on the birth certificate will need to physically appear in a family court and approve the adoption. (Only exception is if you can supply a death certificate of the mother.) Everyone who has ever done this procedure already has 100% custody, so that doesn't mean anything.  If you can not find the biological mother,  I doubt it will be possible to get a judge to sign off on the adoption no matter what you do.  Even a several million baht box of pastries I doubt would do the trick. 

You need to contact the mother and pay her whatever she wants to agree. You have no other choice.

How old is the child?

You can apply to the court for your girlfriend to be his legal guardian. 

You should also have a will. 

Then you can appoint your girlfriend as executor of your son's estate until he is of age. 

This means that even the girlfriend cannot sell any properties that belong to him, and she also cannot borrow against it. 

How old is she? 

She may well be lovely to him now, but that may change after you are not here and she may even meet another. You may have a family member that could act as an executor of his estate also. That could give the lady a monthly sum and school fees and stuff. 

Adoption is not going to protect your son's assets. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2017 at 7:20 AM, maoro2013 said:

In some cases the mother cannot be located in which case the court may rule in favour of the adoption and may depend on the child's wishes and other factors for instance the ability of the adoptive parents to support the child. 

Your living in a dreamworld. If you have death certificate showing that the biological mother is deceased then you can make application to the court for full and legal custody thereby giving you certain rights when it comes to the minor child's welfare. Even with that you are not going to get to give your child to your Thai girlfriend, nor should you want to.

On 12/18/2017 at 7:32 AM, grumbleweed said:

The legal side of it is overrated

Hearing a child call me dad, when she knows I'm not her real father,  is a fantastic feeling that no amount of paperwork could compare with

Your post has zero to do with the subject matter.

13 hours ago, bangkoken said:

Your post has zero to do with the subject matter.

As anyone of even moderate intelligence would have realized: unlike your authoritarian rants from upon high, It was intended to show that not getting legal custody isn't the end of the world, i.e. supportive. 

By the way, we have forum moderators and therefore don't need any pompous, opinionated loons appointing themselves as forum police