krabi versus ko lanta which is better

yogavnture

i usually go to krabi for a week. thier is a good restaurant their but ive found good massage in krabi town to be hard to find.  i used to go to ko lanta . up north near saladan.......haven't been thier in years. what i know is that in jan and feb. the room rates soar in ko lanta.  is thier a decent restaurant scene developing in ko lanta over the recent years?  how about massage............are thier any decent spas or real massage shops near saladan. with an actual massage table.? i think krabi town is a safer bet. ?

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

1 decent place for breakfast called  " Fat Pig " apart that a dump full of mosques.

Koh Lanta is more family-oriented and laid-back than Krabi town, but you may want to consider Ao Nang, 20 kms SW of Krabi town. It has more to offer in the way of restaurants, beaches, hotels, bars and massage--with or without happy beginning and/or ending.  Koh Lanta is pleasant though, the owner of the Fat Pig has another restaurant called the Fat Monkey, which I prefer. Lantah has a few good bars, like the Cheeky Monkey, and some good dive shops, like Flip-Flop Dives, and several nice hotels and resorts.

Koh Lanta beaches are ugly compared to Railey krabi and Koh Samui. But do you really travel to the beach to find a restaurant selling exactly the same thing that you can buy anywhere in the whole country ?

Edited by bleble

4 hours ago, smotherb said:

Koh Lanta is more family-oriented and laid-back than Krabi town, but you may want to consider Ao Nang, 20 kms SW of Krabi town. It has more to offer in the way of restaurants, beaches, hotels, bars and massage--with or without happy beginning and/or ending.  Koh Lanta is pleasant though, the owner of the Fat Pig has another restaurant called the Fat Monkey, which I prefer. Lantah has a few good bars, like the Cheeky Monkey, and some good dive shops, like Flip-Flop Dives, and several nice hotels and resorts.

Do you really believe that he was talking about krabi CITY ? Who is idiot enough to travel to krabi city ? Of course he was talking about Aonang, which is good for food, but ridiculous for the beach.

1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

Mosques sound like a sour thing to have on Koh Lanta. Haven't been there for 24 years, so looks like will by pass it now.

Well I didn't like it just found it uncomfortable I was on a bike tour down south of Thailand something I will never do again. 

I like  beer after a long ride must be a sin and asking where to get one wasn't easy.

I was so glad to head back north to Thailand as I know it Kanchanaburi was one of the best places on our list especially as you head north into the mountains.

2 hours ago, bleble said:

Do you really believe that he was talking about krabi CITY ? Who is idiot enough to travel to krabi city ? Of course he was talking about Aonang, which is good for food, but ridiculous for the beach.

Well, my limited friend, Krabi is the name of either the province or the city. He said Krabi or Koh Lanta.  Koh Lanta is in Krabi Province, just as Ao Nang is in Krabi province. So, I guess we know who would be idiot enough to think differently. And my poor uninformed friend, Krabi City has some good restaurants, hotels and some tourists who think it is okay too.

11 hours ago, bleble said:

Not ridiculous - just off Aonang, there are some beautiful beaches on the locals islands.

11 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Well I didn't like it just found it uncomfortable I was on a bike tour down south of Thailand something I will never do again. 

I like  beer after a long ride must be a sin and asking where to get one wasn't easy.

I was so glad to head back north to Thailand as I know it Kanchanaburi was one of the best places on our list especially as you head north into the mountains.

I dont really understand this , yes both Krabi and Ko Lanta have predominantly muslim populations but there are plenty of bars , no problem getting a beer.

1 hour ago, joecoolfrog said:

I dont really understand this , yes both Krabi and Ko Lanta have predominantly muslim populations but there are plenty of bars , no problem getting a beer.

For me mainly it was Ko Lanta I guess if you stayed there long enough you would know where to go,  as usual 7-11 saved the day. :thumbsup:

15 hours ago, bleble said:

Koh Lanta beaches are ugly compared to Railey krabi and Koh Samui. But do you really travel to the beach to find a restaurant selling exactly the same thing that you can buy anywhere in the whole country ?

The first thing to do is ignore the ignorance of this poster. Ko samui is in the gulf  so unless you take trips to adjoining islands you will find most beaches are shallow and the water not clear compared to Andaman sea. Ao Nang mentioned by another  is a busy town but really has little in the way of decent beaches unless you pay for long tail boats  to take you to Railly beach etc. Ko Lanta is far more laid back and the Muslim presence very low key. You will be able to explore a number of beaches by scooter varying from long open beaches to smaller coves. Being in the Andaman the water is much clearer if you like snorkeling. There are also worthwhile day trips by speedboat to Ko Muk ,the emerald cove etc. where you can swim and snorkel too. There are a number of varied restaurants which you can see listed on Trip Advisor . If you need a more vibrant night life and shopping facilities  this may not be the place for you but everything else is rather better.

i meant krabi town. sorry for confusion.  krabi town versus saladan ko lanta.  i want beach running and i know krabi town to beach at o nang is a pleasant scooter ride away . and long beach on lanta is good for running.  i haven't been to lanta for years but now thier is bridge across so i would assume it has become more delevoped.  with more massage places and restaurants.  ive had challange in past finding good massage in krabi town and i would assume its the same story in lanta. thier is a good restaurant in krabi town. but i wont give up the name because its the only good restaurant and thier is a waiting list to sit down. although i know she is making a second restaurant for overflow which is probably ready by now.  when will the thais figure out the restaurant game.

1 hour ago, nchuckle said:

The first thing to do is ignore the ignorance of this poster. Ko samui is in the gulf  so unless you take trips to adjoining islands you will find most beaches are shallow and the water not clear compared to Andaman sea. Ao Nang mentioned by another  is a busy town but really has little in the way of decent beaches unless you pay for long tail boats  to take you to Railly beach etc. Ko Lanta is far more laid back and the Muslim presence very low key. You will be able to explore a number of beaches by scooter varying from long open beaches to smaller coves. Being in the Andaman the water is much clearer if you like snorkeling. There are also worthwhile day trips by speedboat to Ko Muk ,the emerald cove etc. where you can swim and snorkel too. There are a number of varied restaurants which you can see listed on Trip Advisor . If you need a more vibrant night life and shopping facilities  this may not be the place for you but everything else is rather better.

Yes, you are right, and Muslim also like dogs hahahaha...

So weird that people never feel ridiculous.

OP: if you really want to see a nice beach, never go to Lanta !

1 minute ago, bleble said:

Yes, you are right, and Muslim also like dogs hahahaha...

So weird that people never feel ridiculous.

OP: if you really want to see a nice beach, never go to Lanta !

long beach on lanta is suitable for beach running.

3 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

i meant krabi town. sorry for confusion.  krabi town versus saladan ko lanta.  i want beach running and i know krabi town to beach at o nang is a pleasant scooter ride away . and long beach on lanta is good for running.  i haven't been to lanta for years but now thier is bridge across so i would assume it has become more delevoped.  with more massage places and restaurants.  ive had challange in past finding good massage in krabi town and i would assume its the same story in lanta. thier is a good restaurant in krabi town. but i wont give up the name because its the only good restaurant and thier is a waiting list to sit down. although i know she is making a second restaurant for overflow which is probably ready by now.  when will the thais figure out the restaurant game.

Really, this restaurant thing is so ridiculous...

Just now, bleble said:

Really, this restaurant thing is so ridiculous...

i need healthy food. like on kpy ...........and even samui thier are tons of good restaurants.   in krabi and lanta they are restaurant challenged................keep with the facts not your bias

2 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

i need healthy food. like on kpy ...........and even samui thier are tons of good restaurants.   in krabi and lanta they are restaurant challenged................keep with the facts not your bias

ok Mr Michelin expert :-)

19 hours ago, bleble said:

????????????????

Of course some people go to Krabi TOWN, which has a night market and a nice walkway along the river ( I haven't been to either places for some years so may have changed ) and just go to the beach for the day.

Ao Nang was a *hole 20 years ago so I doubt it has changed much and the beach is rubbish.

The OP does not make it clear exactly what part of Krabi or Lanta he is asking about, as both are large and cover many different varieties of places. Bit hard to answer till he does.

I loved Railay till the big resorts moved in and I also loved Lanta's beaches because they are long and were devoid of boats.

18 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

????????????????

Of course some people go to Krabi TOWN, which has a night market and a nice walkway along the river ( I haven't been to either places for some years so may have changed ) and just go to the beach for the day.

Ao Nang was a *hole 20 years ago so I doubt it has changed much and the beach is rubbish.

The OP does not make it clear exactly what part of Krabi or Lanta he is asking about, as both are large and cover many different varieties of places. Bit hard to answer till he does.

I loved Railay till the big resorts moved in and I also loved Lanta's beaches because they are long and were devoid of boats.

krabi town versus saladan area. is that specific enuf?

i guess the main reason i even posted this thread is that now thier is a bridge over to ko lanta versus previous ferry...................i would assume that development since the bridge , would be strong now?  that saladan since the bridge would be starting to get more developed with restaurants and lodging options?  

2 hours ago, yogavnture said:

i guess the main reason i even posted this thread is that now thier is a bridge over to ko lanta versus previous ferry...................i would assume that development since the bridge , would be strong now?  that saladan since the bridge would be starting to get more developed with restaurants and lodging options?  

Yes report me, but it changes nothing to the fact that you know nothing and will never know anything it seems.

There is no bridge from mainland to Koh lanta, there is only a bridge between both Koh lanta islands.

So nothing has changes and anyway beaches couldn't be more ugly than what they are.