What can older tourists do in Chiang Mai during the day?

finy

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This reminds of the days of my old uncles and aunts. They used to go to social gatherings for the elderly called whisk drives. Whisk was a card game. They would meet once a week at a room in a pub and play whisk. We fondly named these clubs; grab a granny nights with all the old dears.

Although I`m getting on in years myself, think if it came down to that with me, would be the bitter end.

I've heard of whist drives, perhaps whisk drives were a 'spin' on the original game.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Set up a portable karaoke on the street and belt out some tunes together. Dress up like Devo. Invite others passing by to join in.

Organise a scavenger hunt around the old town.... eg, find the biggest Durian and bring it back to the hotel later to compare. Record how many times the door goes ding dong at 7/11 in a 2 minute period.... see who can take the most photos of people wearing elephant pants etc..

Go swimming in the moat.

Tung Tao Lake / Reservoir is a great day out for food and relaxation. They could walk around if feeling energetic.
The zoo is another option for half day. You should go early as the animals sleep by 10.30am.
Night market and Sunday market.
Maya and Airport shopping malls.
Coffee shops in Nimman (could tie in with Maya Shopping Centre).
Thai cooking class.
Massage class or just be the recipient.
I hope they enjoy themselves!

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

20 hours ago, madusa said:

I am not sure are there Pottery making places you could visit or Umbrella making? If your friends are into the cultural thing. Or even woodcraft. I know a guy who speaks quite a bit of english and he gives tea- ceremony chinese style. But he doesn't do it often because he is not interested in money and he doesn't care if you buy his tea or not, that's what I like about him. He said if I feel like it I conduct a chinese tea ceremony and explain about chinese tea. He has quite a personality. I couldn't nail him down in such situation to get him to perform a ceremony.

I thought I saw on the website some meet-up in Chiang Mai quite a lot of things going on, e.g. discussion on philosophy, coffee drinkers gathering discussion on coffee.

Good luck with your friends in finding something you like. Language may be a bit of a problem nevertheless it can be enjoyable.

I am not sure are there Pottery making places you could visit or Umbrella making?

I already said about that. There is a whole road full of craft factories and a world famous umbrella making centre in C M.

3 hours ago, QPRFC said:

Tung Tao Lake / Reservoir is a great day out for food and relaxation. They could walk around if feeling energetic.
The zoo is another option for half day. You should go early as the animals sleep by 10.30am.
Night market and Sunday market.
Maya and Airport shopping malls.
Coffee shops in Nimman (could tie in with Maya Shopping Centre).
Thai cooking class.
Massage class or just be the recipient.
I hope they enjoy themselves!

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The river cruise is also a way to pass a few hours. Goes from Wat Chai Monkoh. On the internet.

15 hours ago, NancyL said:

While we're getting a little randy, the OP's friends might like to take in the Lady Boy show at Anusaran Market.  Recently, we took some out-of-country visitors and the guys had a great time while the wives were suitably indulgent.  We made reservations via the Ladyboy show's Facebook and had the best table in the place.  If you do this, the guys have to be prepared to have the performers sitting in their laps and trolling for 100 baht tips a few times during the show.  We wives got in the spirit of the evening, going into our purses to give our husbands 100 baht notes for our husbands to put in the bras of the performers.  After all, that's the way it seems to be done here in Thailand, where the wives carry the money when a couple goes out.

OMG. Putting 100 baht in their bras like men do in titty bars back wherever they come from. How on earth did that stupidity start in C M? It used to be just charging 100 baht for a photo with them after the show, but now they are going to make it all about getting "tips". Sometimes I despair at the foolishness of tourists that stuff it up for everyone else.

I suppose you mentioned that as a "humerous" aside, but it's not at all funny.

At Pattaya's Malibu show ( the best in Thailand when it was running ) customers sometimes gave the performers tips, but never anything as crass as putting it in bras. 100 may not be much to well heeled tourists, but to the dancers it may be a significant amount. If one feels the need to give them money, by all means do so, but please don't get into this American style BS.

On 12/16/2017 at 2:47 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

I am not sure are there Pottery making places you could visit or Umbrella making?

I already said about that. There is a whole road full of craft factories and a world famous umbrella making centre in C M.

Really, oh ok you already said that. Merry christmas to you, you beachlover. Anyway it's amazing isn't it this make up story of baby Jesus , 3 wise men and so on could survive into this century. So what they say is true if you want to tell a lie tell a big lie because people believe in big lie. Like the jews claim the land in isreal under big lie that it was promised to them by God they called Yahweh or something like that can't remember the spelling.

OMG. Putting 100 baht in their bras like men do in titty bars back wherever they come from. How on earth did that stupidity start in C M? It used to be just charging 100 baht for a photo with them after the show, but now they are going to make it all about getting "tips". Sometimes I despair at the foolishness of tourists that stuff it up for everyone else.
At Pattaya's Malibu show ( the best in Thailand when it was running ) customers sometimes gave the performers tips, but never anything as crass as putting it in bras. 100 may not be much to well heeled tourists, but to the dancers it may be a significant amount. If one feels the need to give them money, by all means do so, but please don't get into this American style BS.

I take it you won't be frequenting the CM show anymore then.
[emoji15]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

16 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The "girls" didn't mind at all.  Some of the girls sit on the laps of the men in the front row seats.  If you don't want them doing that, then be warned and don't sit up front.  

As Americans, it's our god-given right to tip people who are providing good service.  It's part of our culture.  Besides, it's fun to see stingy tight-wads from non-tipping cultures get all worked up about how we're "spoiling it for everyone else".  

56 minutes ago, NancyL said:

The "girls" didn't mind at all.  Some of the girls sit on the laps of the men in the front row seats.  If you don't want them doing that, then be warned and don't sit up front.  

As Americans, it's our god-given right to tip people who are providing good service.  It's part of our culture.  Besides, it's fun to see stingy tight-wads from non-tipping cultures get all worked up about how we're "spoiling it for everyone else".  

I'm sure they don't and do, because they think they'll get money by doing so. The Malibu show never had to resort to such crass enticement to get tips which were just handed over.

BTW, having seen the "girls" outside. I have no desire to go in. Which is not to say that I have an opinion on those that do. I just wish they wouldn't tip them for no reason.

As Americans, it's our god-given right to tip people who are providing good service.  It's part of our culture.

Sooooo, it's OK to impose YOUR culture on another. There's a rather unpleasant term describing Americans with that attitude abroad. Eugene Burdick and William Lederer wrote a book about that in 1958. Seems things haven't changed much.

Besides, it's fun to see stingy tight-wads from non-tipping cultures get all worked up about how we're "spoiling it for everyone else".  

It's a pity to see you descending to such language. I thought you were better than that.

It's precisely such attitudes that is indeed "spoiling it for everyone else" in the land of once upon a smile.

If anyone is stingy tight-wads it is American businesses that think they don't have to pay their workers properly because people will tip. An abominable and atrocious exploitation of labour.

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

Nancy you and I should take in the show at FreeMan... there you can start out with a 1,000 baht note and reach in for change... :cowboy:

btw... the name of this club is somewhst deceiving...

Edited by sfokevin

On 12/16/2017 at 12:21 AM, Catoni said:

I'm in my 60's also.  While living in Chaing Mai, I went up to Wat Phra That Doi Suthep....three times...

They say if you go to Chiang Mai and don't got to Wat Phra That Doi Suthep, then you've never really been to Chiang Mai. Take a songtheaw.  When you get up there, you don't have to climb the stairs if you are older.... you can take the incline rail lift for just a small cost.  There is a fantastic view of Chiang Mai from there, if it is not smokey season.

Don't forget Sunday Walking Street and the Night Market and Warorot Market.

They might also like a boat ride up the Mae Ping River to the Thai Farm where part of the Rambo movie (2008) was filmed with Sylvester Stallone.  When I was there, they still had the Snake Pit from the snake pit part of the movie...  

The river cruise company still had the Thai river boat that Stallone used in the movie. 

That was in 2013.... don't know if it has changed or not. 

Wat Chedi Luang is also very interesting... as is Wat Umong and some other temples...  

They may be also interested in the Chiang Mai Zoo with its great Aquarium .....perhaps one of the best in that part of the world.  

Many other things to do, to many to list here for me now... ....  should be lots of info online and from members here.. 

My favorite Rambo movie..  Thanks for the info.

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 9:21 PM, Catoni said:

I'm in my 60's also.  While living in Chaing Mai, I went up to Wat Phra That Doi Suthep....three times...

They say if you go to Chiang Mai and don't got to Wat Phra That Doi Suthep, then you've never really been to Chiang Mai. Take a songtheaw.  When you get up there, you don't have to climb the stairs if you are older.... you can take the incline rail lift for just a small cost.  There is a fantastic view of Chiang Mai from there, if it is not smokey season.

Don't forget Sunday Walking Street and the Night Market and Warorot Market.

They might also like a boat ride up the Mae Ping River to the Thai Farm where part of the Rambo movie (2008) was filmed with Sylvester Stallone.  When I was there, they still had the Snake Pit from the snake pit part of the movie...  

The river cruise company still had the Thai river boat that Stallone used in the movie. 

That was in 2013.... don't know if it has changed or not. 

Wat Chedi Luang is also very interesting... as is Wat Umong and some other temples...  

They may be also interested in the Chiang Mai Zoo with its great Aquarium .....perhaps one of the best in that part of the world.  

Many other things to do, to many to list here for me now... ....  should be lots of info online and from members here.. 

That farm place keeps it pretty quiet about the Rambo connection. When I was there, I saw nothing about it and the company doesn't advertise it. Pity as I'd like to have seen it.

I did visit the temple in Rambo 3 near Lamphun. However, nobody there had any idea that part of the film had been made there, and no signs of any sort.

I don't recommend the Sunday market- far too many people ( a disaster waiting to happen if there was a panic ) and nothing for sale that they can't buy at the night markets.

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 5:36 PM, cyberfarang said:

That about sums Chiang Mai up for elderly tourists.

Go and browse around the shopping malls for a few hours, maybe have a coffee, back to hotel, retire to bed about 9.00pm. One poster mentioned take them to the best bar in CM. Could anyone pray tell where that is?

For those who prefer something a bit more lively, with lots going on glitz and life, it`s only a 55 minute trip to Bangkok from Chiang Mai airport.

the best bar in CM

:cheesy:

C M doesn't know how to do bars. Pretty good if your thing is looking at temples all day and going nighty night at 10pm though.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 10:52 PM, Catoni said:

That sounds like a very wonderful day...   I might just add the Zoo..... but perhaps not enough time...  

A few likes for the zoo on here.

Before going, if they want to, should be warned to take the little "train" rather than walk. I made the mistake of walking and almost died ( literally ) climbing those hills.

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 1:39 PM, sanemax said:

Pai isnt such a good option for 60 year olds , its just a backpackers hangout and its an horrendous journey there through the mountains , 

Was a backpacker hangout years ago but now inundated by Bangkok Hi So's driving multi million baht vehicles and taking sefies.

For not many baht you can fly there from CM.   Still beautiful but very crowded in holiday times/weekends.

60's old ??? I wouldnt mind being that again:sad:

There is a tourist motor tram that tours around the Old City, starting at Wat Pra Singh.  Not taken it myself, but seen it in action.  I think it's free.  It looks similar to the tram that is used at the Zoo.  Interesting that they let such a vehicle operate on city streets.

9 minutes ago, NancyL said:

There is a tourist motor tram that tours around the Old City, starting at Wat Pra Singh.  Not taken it myself, but seen it in action.  I think it's free.  It looks similar to the tram that is used at the Zoo.  Interesting that they let such a vehicle operate on city streets.

I don't think it's free, but it's not much. Only goes at set times though, so if you don't get there when it's leaving might have to wait a while.

I just checked on google and it doesn't come up- why am I not surprised that a tourist attraction in a tourist city is not advertised? Amazing Thailand indeed.

On 12/19/2017 at 11:31 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

If anyone is stingy tight-wads it is American businesses that think they don't have to pay their workers properly because people will tip. An abominable and atrocious exploitation of labour.

Well said!

OP didn't mention nationality, but if they're from any of WW2 allied countries, a day trip to Kanchanaburi and on to Hellfire Pass  may be of interest.  I go out that way often and am still fascinated by the history of the railway and the deprivation and cruelty suffered by the allied POW's at the hands of the Japanese.   There's a lot related to the war to see in Kanchanaburi, an outstanding private museum, war cemeteries, Bridge on the River Kwai, and a host more.

You could make it an overnighter, river raft room in K'buri, or further out nearer HF Pass.

10 hours ago, F4UCorsair said:

OP didn't mention nationality, but if they're from any of WW2 allied countries, a day trip to Kanchanaburi and on to Hellfire Pass  may be of interest.  I go out that way often and am still fascinated by the history of the railway and the deprivation and cruelty suffered by the allied POW's at the hands of the Japanese.   There's a lot related to the war to see in Kanchanaburi, an outstanding private museum, war cemeteries, Bridge on the River Kwai, and a host more.

You could make it an overnighter, river raft room in K'buri, or further out nearer HF Pass.

IMO DO NOT stay in a raft room. The unmuffled boats passing by all the time make it a misery.

Hellfire Pass trip is excellent.