What can older tourists do in Chiang Mai during the day?

finy

I've got people 60ish coming to visit me for a few weeks in Feb.

I'm currently in Samui, but it makes more sense for me to be in Chiang Mai.

I just don't know if they'll enjoy Chiang Mai as there is no beach to chill at.

Night time will be fine, plus a visit to Pai and Chiang Rai would help.

I just can't think of much to do during the day. They wouldn't want to wander around temples, go on tours that are based hours drive out of city etc.

Do you have any ideas so I can think about them?

I don't have much experience doing touristy things as I've just lived there permanently.

Cheers

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suan Tweechol on a Saturday or Sunday would be a pleasant way to kill about 3-4 hours in the afternoon; especially this time of year. Nice gardens and flowers, good restaurant on weekends. Bikes available (lots of older people riding around). Only about 20 minutes out of town towards Doi Saket.

If they fancy an out if their world experience and are fairly fit and healthy.

Why not go on an elephant and jungle trekking tour for 1 night. Trekking around outskirts of CM first day. Seeing how hmong people live in hills and how late king persuaded them to grow cabbage instead of smack ( tour guide)  and then bed down for a night mahout style and do basic mahout training with elephants the last day. After that experience they will need to relax and chill so grab accomodation with a pool and in close proximity to CM for a stroll etc and they should have a great time. Massages will be widely used too I imagine after trek.

4 hours ago, BuaBS said:

Tell them to bring gas masks for the smoke.

Sadly, you may well be right. I’d make sure none of these people are suffering from respiratory illnesses as this is not a great time for a visit. I love Chiang Mai but don’t think it’s a place to stay from Jan to Jun.

Yes agree with Puwa... 

I would go to the Botanical Garden... on the way there in the morning stop at this Darabhiromya Royal Mansion Museum 
https://goo.gl/maps/dWDhApDZ1sJ2

Then Tita gallery for coffee and cakes
https://goo.gl/maps/uxTd4ZP16tm

Then the Botanical Gardens tram tour... 
https://goo.gl/maps/sBo6Dd9v7EU2

Then on the way back stop and have afternoon lunch at the Terraces restaurant at the Four Seasons (make reservation at their website if a weekend)... 
https://goo.gl/maps/pr6LFCiYkMS2

Edited by sfokevin

2 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

This is so bad, I walked out after 30 minutes.

PS. You have to sit on the floor, some 60+ won't want to play that game for 4 hours.

They had tables & chairs at the one we took our 70ish visitor too just last week. She loved it & even the wife enjoyed it. May depend on the one you go too. (Old Chiang Mai Cultural Center) Reserve a table in advance.

Granted, it's not something I'd ever do, but have to bite the bullet for quests.

If they like music Chiang Mai is a very good place. Also lots of artists in town. Also there are the Saturday and Sunday walking markets (arts & crafts). You could also stop for a foot massage during the walk through the market.

Also there is Anusarn market (crafts) with eating choices.

4 hours ago, r136dg said:

Kantoke cultural dinner will knock off one evening. Walking street markets will kill a couple more & you will have to take them to some temples.

I feel for ya.

1 hour ago, r136dg said:

They had tables & chairs at the one we took our 70ish visitor too just last week. She loved it & even the wife enjoyed it. May depend on the one you go too. (Old Chiang Mai Cultural Center) Reserve a table in advance.

Granted, it's not something I'd ever do, but have to bite the bullet for quests.

The Kantoke Culture Dinner and Old Chiang Mai Cultural Center are not the same thing.  Of the two, Old Chiang Mai Cultural Center, on Wulai Road, a little south of the Old City on the way to Central Airport Plaza is superior for older folks.  Definitely will sit on chairs at tables.  They set up a little Thai market with handicrafts and local dancing, etc outside the performance hall ahead of the show, so it's worth it to show up early and walk around the grounds, looking at the many wares on offer and the interesting buildings. 

Old Chiang Mai was the first kantoke dinner venue in Chiang Mai and they've done a great job preserving the tradition.   For years, Hubby and I have displayed a photo taken at a performance we attended back in the early 1980s, back when the only option was the sit on the floor.  Like many tourist venues, they took your photo without your knowing and then had them on offer (no pressure to buy) when you left.  I'm so glad we paid the 200 baht (it seemed expensive at the time) to buy the framed photo because we both looked so happy.  Recently, I showed it to the current manager and he said "oh, we still charge 200 baht for framed photos.  Maybe we need to think again." 

Art in Paradise is always fun for a few hours, especially if there is a third person to take photos of them together in the art.  There are several of this type of "museum" around the region and everyone tells me Chiang Mai's is the best. 

They might enjoy wandering around Central Festival or Maya for a few hours and taking in a film.  Depending on where they're from, if they like seeing movies, they'll be impressed with the way they're presented here and the cheap price for first run films.  

23 minutes ago, NancyL said:

The Kantoke Culture Dinner and Old Chiang Mai Cultural Center are not the same thing.  Of the two, Old Chiang Mai Cultural Center, on Wulai Road, a little south of the Old City on the way to Central Airport Plaza is superior for older folks.  Definitely will sit on chairs at tables.  They set up a little Thai market with handicrafts and local dancing, etc outside the performance hall ahead of the show, so it's worth it to show up early and walk around the grounds, looking at the many wares on offer and the interesting buildings. 

Old Chiang Mai was the first kantoke dinner venue in Chiang Mai and they've done a great job preserving the tradition.   For years, Hubby and I have displayed a photo taken at a performance we attended back in the early 1980s, back when the only option was the sit on the floor.  Like many tourist venues, they took your photo without your knowing and then had them on offer (no pressure to buy) when you left.  I'm so glad we paid the 200 baht (it seemed expensive at the time) to buy the framed photo because we both looked so happy.  Recently, I showed it to the current manager and he said "oh, we still charge 200 baht for framed photos.  Maybe we need to think again." 

Hello Nancy,

100 Baht per framed photo just last week;-)

www.oldchiangmai.com if the OP's interested.

Just now, free123 said:

I always wonder what people do anyway all day retiring i los...most with poor thai communication skills...???.??? how many from the falangs have a base of thai friends they hang out and enjoy life together like at home...????

Although most retired felangs do not have a bunch of Thai friends, who they hang out with back at home

44 minutes ago, free123 said:

I always wonder what people do anyway all day retiring i los...most with poor thai communication skills...???.??? how many from the falangs have a base of thai friends they hang out and enjoy life together like at home...????

At 62 I spend all my morning time hiking (15K) or cycling (30k), I get drunk most afternoons, then read and watch TV in the evenings.

But that may not suit everyone my age.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

2 hours ago, NancyL said:

Back in the 70s I visited a Kantoke place and we sat with legs in a hole in the floor. I remember it as being a great experience with excellent food and dancing.

I went to one recently, hoping to relive the vibe, but they tried to sit me on the floor ( no leg hole ) and I had to "insist" they give me a chair so I ended up all alone and being ignored by the staff, the food was extremely "average" and the dancing was done by bored dancers. Total waste of money IMO.

Not going to say which one for obvious reasons.