What can older tourists do in Chiang Mai during the day?

finy

1 hour ago, murraynz said:

ive only been to chaing mai once {too boring for me}, but a trip to elephant parks, then visit to hilltribes is good...

that is why crazy places like pattaya are so good-always so much to do and see.. chok dee khap

Have to be very careful about which elephant park to go to. A friend went to one and was extremely angry as it was so bad an experience.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, finy said:

coming to visit me for a few weeks in Feb

IMO too long to stay just in C M. Surely they can go to the beach on their own for part of it.

Could do all the local sights in a couple of weeks even taking it quietly.

A tour to the craft factories and umbrella street a must, but that's only half a day.

Elephant Nature Park, no riding and slightly infirm (elder sister) was catered for off the cuff.817D5210-EF5A-4107-9E75-B2A4D2CC5404.thumb.jpeg.87c768e9b2b98daa7be6dd4025c66a46.jpegDD0C7221-A219-4DE4-916D-E9BE92F1BD92.thumb.jpeg.81d6f2954f5bf34b95de129e7d34cde7.jpeg

Ranked as one of my most memorable days in over three decades visiting Thailand.

Another worthwhile activity was Thai Farm Cooking School.

Linda absolutely loved it as it was both  fun and educational.785D32F2-7E11-4D3E-AB80-282494E0260E.thumb.jpeg.b7c2d0de300c0004b82560d7a1f853c8.jpeg

I am not sure are there Pottery making places you could visit or Umbrella making? If your friends are into the cultural thing. Or even woodcraft. I know a guy who speaks quite a bit of english and he gives tea- ceremony chinese style. But he doesn't do it often because he is not interested in money and he doesn't care if you buy his tea or not, that's what I like about him. He said if I feel like it I conduct a chinese tea ceremony and explain about chinese tea. He has quite a personality. I couldn't nail him down in such situation to get him to perform a ceremony.

I thought I saw on the website some meet-up in Chiang Mai quite a lot of things going on, e.g. discussion on philosophy, coffee drinkers gathering discussion on coffee.

Good luck with your friends in finding something you like. Language may be a bit of a problem nevertheless it can be enjoyable.

Chiang Mai Erotic Gardens for the broad-minded. Google it. Plenty of restaurants for lunch. Studio 51 on the 121 for authentic Thai food. Alpaca cafe on the 1317 for a very good marinara. Butter is Better on Changkhlan or Dukes near the Nawarat Bridge for American style. Antonio's for Italian. Buffet at the Siripanna Resort very good, 189 baht PP. Most expensive, but a great dining experience is Le Coq D'or in Nong Hoi. About 3000 baht PP.

Further afield, San Kamphaeng Hot Springs or Mon Chaem. Don't go there in the weekends. Wat Sang Kaew Phothiyan after Wiang Pa Pao, Charin Gardens is famous for its cakes and pies. On the 181 to Chiang Rai. White Temple on Highway 1; however IMHO Wat Sang Kaew Phothiyan is ten times better.

After Chiang Rai, there's Doi Tung, Doi Mae Salong, Mae Sai, Chiang Saen. Or take the Thoeng road to Phu Chi Fa. Plenty of reasonably priced accommodation in Chiang Rai.

Edited by Lacessit

Are there commercial flights to Pai these days.  I know the schedule is on-again, off-again.  It's a spendy way to get their, but saves time and nausea meds.  Personally, I'm in the age range of the guests and like a couple days in Pai from time-to-time sitting along the main street, drinking beer and people-watching the gap-year young people.  The scenery on the flight is nice.  Better at the end of rainy season, however, not in Feb when everything will be looking dried-out.

3 hours ago, NancyL said:

They might enjoy wandering around Central Festival or Maya for a few hours and taking in a film.  Depending on where they're from, if they like seeing movies, they'll be impressed with the way they're presented here and the cheap price for first run films.  

That about sums Chiang Mai up for elderly tourists.

Go and browse around the shopping malls for a few hours, maybe have a coffee, back to hotel, retire to bed about 9.00pm. One poster mentioned take them to the best bar in CM. Could anyone pray tell where that is?

For those who prefer something a bit more lively, with lots going on glitz and life, it`s only a 55 minute trip to Bangkok from Chiang Mai airport.

2 hours ago, free123 said:

I always wonder what people do anyway all day retiring i los...most with poor thai communication skills...???.??? how many from the falangs have a base of thai friends they hang out and enjoy life together like at home...????

Or what they do anywhere for that matter... I enjoy farang company sometimes but mostly, living in a small Thai city w/no tourist trade, I hang out with Thai friends... sometimes I can go a couple of weeks w/o an English language conversation... but I think that many retirement dreams run into issues of people not having sustainable hobbies and things they enjoy doing... 

Do they play bridge? The Bridge Club of Chiang Mai has afternoon duplicate games at different levels four afternoons a week. Google the name of the club and you will reach our web site which has information on location, times etc. Visitors who know how to play are welcome. If they are not sure of their level, it is best to start by coming on a Monday, when all levels are welcome. Unlike some clubs, BCCM is very social, so a good place to get to know others.

Edited by neilrob
clarification

I'm in my 60's also.  While living in Chaing Mai, I went up to Wat Phra That Doi Suthep....three times...

They say if you go to Chiang Mai and don't got to Wat Phra That Doi Suthep, then you've never really been to Chiang Mai. Take a songtheaw.  When you get up there, you don't have to climb the stairs if you are older.... you can take the incline rail lift for just a small cost.  There is a fantastic view of Chiang Mai from there, if it is not smokey season.

Don't forget Sunday Walking Street and the Night Market and Warorot Market.

They might also like a boat ride up the Mae Ping River to the Thai Farm where part of the Rambo movie (2008) was filmed with Sylvester Stallone.  When I was there, they still had the Snake Pit from the snake pit part of the movie...  

The river cruise company still had the Thai river boat that Stallone used in the movie. 

That was in 2013.... don't know if it has changed or not. 

Wat Chedi Luang is also very interesting... as is Wat Umong and some other temples...  

They may be also interested in the Chiang Mai Zoo with its great Aquarium .....perhaps one of the best in that part of the world.  

Many other things to do, to many to list here for me now... ....  should be lots of info online and from members here.. 

7 hours ago, murraynz said:

ive only been to chaing mai once {too boring for me}, but a trip to elephant parks, then visit to hilltribes is good...

that is why crazy places like pattaya are so good-always so much to do and see.. chok dee khap

You must be a younger person who like the wild party cities like Pattaya and Phuket.  That would have been great when I was younger.  But some of us older folk like a bit of a quieter city like Chiang Mai, or Chiang Rai or some other quieter cities.. .....but yeah... smokey season and traffic.... but use to it.  And if we really do get an urge to party a bit, there are still a few places in Chiang Mai to do that an get a bit wild. Personally, Chiang Mai is one of my favourite places in the world.  And I love the temples...  

4 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

That about sums Chiang Mai up for elderly tourists.

Go and browse around the shopping malls for a few hours, maybe have a coffee, back to hotel, retire to bed about 9.00pm. One poster mentioned take them to the best bar in CM. Could anyone pray tell where that is?

For those who prefer something a bit more lively, with lots going on glitz and life, it`s only a 55 minute trip to Bangkok from Chiang Mai airport.

Huh ?  I'm in my 60's... (66 now) and I have a great time when I'm in Chiang Mai.....  Temples....  (including Wat Phra That Doi Suthep)...  the Zoo.... (one of the best I've ever been to)...  lots of walking.... I was there for Songkran and had a blast.... felt like I was in my late 20's or 30's again...    Spend months at a time there....  

I lose weight when I'm there... blood pressure goes to normal...     Do it the right way... it's like you find your second youth. 

If its their first time in Thailand and Chiang Mai why not go to the Red Bus Rank near the university gates and take them all up to Doi Suthep temple in the morning when it's not too hot, the ride up the hill alone should be memorable ,  then get the lift up and enjoy the views and atmosphere  for an hour or so and take a bus back down.  Stop for lunch at the 'Lonely Milk' restaurant near the uni gates (mix of thai & western food)  great desserts too.    After lunch take them for a foot massage in one of the many places in town centre then go to a bar with a balcony view to chill until sundown then have a tuk-tuk ride around the moat enjoying the lights and scenery  then end the day at the 'Riverside Bar & Restaurant' which had great food and atmosphere (when I last visited) and a tiny dance floor if they still feel energetic.

Good luck

8 minutes ago, trevoromgh said:

If its their first time in Thailand and Chiang Mai why not go to the Red Bus Rank near the university gates and take them all up to Doi Suthep temple in the morning when it's not too hot, the ride up the hill alone should be memorable ,  then get the lift up and enjoy the views and atmosphere  for an hour or so and take a bus back down.  Stop for lunch at the 'Lonely Milk' restaurant near the uni gates (mix of thai & western food)  great desserts too.    After lunch take them for a foot massage in one of the many places in town centre then go to a bar with a balcony view to chill until sundown then have a tuk-tuk ride around the moat enjoying the lights and scenery  then end the day at the 'Riverside Bar & Restaurant' which had great food and atmosphere (when I last visited) and a tiny dance floor if they still feel energetic.

Good luck

That sounds like a very wonderful day...   I might just add the Zoo..... but perhaps not enough time...  

3 hours ago, neilrob said:

Do they play bridge? The Bridge Club of Chiang Mai has afternoon duplicate games at different levels four afternoons a week. Google the name of the club and you will reach our web site which has information on location, times etc. Visitors who know how to play are welcome. If they are not sure of their level, it is best to start by coming on a Monday, when all levels are welcome. Unlike some clubs, BCCM is very social, so a good place to get to know others.

This reminds of the days of my old uncles and aunts. They used to go to social gatherings for the elderly called whisk drives. Whisk was a card game. They would meet once a week at a room in a pub and play whisk. We fondly named these clubs; grab a granny nights with all the old dears.

Although I`m getting on in years myself, think if it came down to that with me, would be the bitter end.

12 hours ago, r136dg said:

They had tables & chairs at the one we took our 70ish visitor too just last week. She loved it & even the wife enjoyed it. May depend on the one you go too. (Old Chiang Mai Cultural Center) Reserve a table in advance.

Granted, it's not something I'd ever do, but have to bite the bullet for quests.

It's just a shameless copy of a Polynesian Luau. And even those are tourist traps.

Edited by Ruffian Dick

Back in the 70s I visited a Kantoke place and we sat with legs in a hole in the floor. I remember it as being a great experience with excellent food and dancing.
I went to one recently, hoping to relive the vibe, but they tried to sit me on the floor ( no leg hole ) and I had to "insist" they give me a chair so I ended up all alone and being ignored by the staff, the food was extremely "average" and the dancing was done by bored dancers. Total waste of money IMO.
Not going to say which one for obvious reasons.

Was that the 1870's?
[emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app