UK Visa rules more pedantic than Thailand's???

2 hours ago, CeeGee said:

NHS said no, she had to have the exact qualification!(It was suggested by someone that she could infact sit the exam, mark the paper herself, and award herself the required qualification).In the end it took over nine months, with union intervention for the NHS to accept her qualification and give her the promotion.

I can see where they see Thai part of this if that is the case.

Bureaucracy is and can be a pain and take a long time to fight back I'm glad it worked out for your wife justice was done. :thumbsup:

You would have thought as we are presently in the 21st Century we would have a young progressive mentality instead of the old dark days of extreme bureaucracy? We seem to thrive on fundimental stupidity and the application for common sense is not par for the course? Just my thoughts!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eff1n2ret said:

UK Visa rules more pedantic than Thailand's???

Absolutely. Compared with the UK, Thailand's Immigration Rules are a model of simplicity and clarity. You either qualify or you don't, and there aren't loads of appeals and the wretched Human Rights Act to contend with, so they don't have mountains of casework which takes years to deal with and benefits nobody except a cadre of (IMHO) rather iffy lawyers. The downsides of the Thai system are (from the immigrants' point of view) that one has to effectively re-qualify to stay every year, and variations in local offices' interpretations of how the Rules are applied.

But sadly, the massive cat's cradle of UK immigration law now seems to serve only to penalise the law-abiding while failing to keep out or remove people that the country could well do without.

Well said sir

I would imagine that there is more to this story than is being reported.

My understanding from reading several threads on TV is that taking a higher level English test is not disadvantaged at all and this higher level test can also be used when the next level of the settlement process is applied for, which does require a higher standard than the initial one.

The Government spokesman indicated that the test was not taken at one of the approved test centres, which seems more likely.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2017 at 7:10 AM, Kwasaki said:

I would think with right approach the situation could settled. 

Yes, if it was me I would just follow the immigration rules to the letter, and of course provide all documents requested

At two grand a throw I would not take it as lightly as these two

I know two couples who have gone through the process, both sets moaned about the cost, but the journey to get the UK passports went smoothly

5 hours ago, Mansell said:

I can only guess that the qualifications working for the Home Office does not include larger brain use, or even common sense.....which should be renamed un-common sense because very few possess it in this world.

I can only guess by reading the relevant info, that the Home Office staff did what exactly they are paid for

They rejected a flawed visa application

You have made your point about common most adequately

On 12/17/2017 at 7:00 PM, CeeGee said:

The NHS works the same way, my ex wife was a nurse, was going for a promotion and one particular qualification was required.She did not have this, but had a higher qualification which carried the ability to teach and award the required qualification.

NHS said no, she had to have the exact qualification!(It was suggested by someone that she could infact sit the exam, mark the paper herself, and award herself the required qualification).In the end it took over nine months, with union intervention for the NHS to accept her qualification and give her the promotion.

I too underwent a similar sort of thing.  I had my City and Guilds qualification in further education - took one year part-time to complete.  In doing some work for the University School of Nursing I was told I needed a 5 day course in order to be able to teach student nurses.  My C&G qualification was of a far higher standard than that required.  I refused to do the lower course.  In the end common sense eventually prevailed but it was a long and unnecessary battle.

12 hours ago, oldlakey said:

Yes, if it was me I would just follow the immigration rules to the letter, and of course provide all documents requested

At two grand a throw I would not take it as lightly as these two

I know two couples who have gone through the process, both sets moaned about the cost, but the journey to get the UK passports went smoothly

This couple using an agent and trying to shortcut was probably the wrong thing to do my friend got his Thai wife to stay UK permanently just recently after doing a language test in a last stage,  they went through the process following the immigration rules in the stages set out.

It took a long time but now they can get on with their lives. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

The article suggests the applicant also has an English degree. Assuming this was to bachelors /masters or PhD this would meet the requirements for the application.

The real story is much more likely that the applicant failed to provide adequate evidence of this qualification. It may be they provided evidence of meeting the requirement with a non-approved qualification that was then, rightly refused.

Perhaps the BBC headline should have been "Visa applicant failed to read the application form carefully". 

Does not really have quite the same ring to it does it?

The requirements are really quite clear and state what evidence needs to be presented. It is only fair that everyone has to meet the same standards.

Her English was not too good, her comprehension of the form was not good enough.

• Like 1

There is a REASON why first world countries have strict visa rules. When developing countries create absurd rules for foreigners, it's usually done for reasons of spite and jealousy. There is no rational reason to keep foreigners out of your country when they are better compensated than the indigenous population. Our income creates jobs for Thais by staffing farang-oriented businesses. The sales tax on our purchases, alone would justify a more light-handed touch. Saving face always backfires.

7 minutes ago, Jools said:

Poor people coming there with inadequate incomes. It's just the reverse in Thailand.

And something that does a disservice to the indigenous population in UK and many other countries. Begging is now endemic in most big cities. The majority of certain eastern Europe countries have made a massive impact on social services and payments from the same as they have no skills and not interested in work, only using and manipulating the system.

On ‎19‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 6:00 PM, bobrussell said:

The article suggests the applicant also has an English degree. Assuming this was to bachelors /masters or PhD this would meet the requirements for the application.

Not necessarily. From Family visas: apply, extend or switch; 7. Knowledge of English

Academic qualifications

You can prove your knowledge of English if both:

• you have a degree or academic qualification that was taught or researched in English
  • your qualification is recognised by UK NARIC as being equivalent to a UK bachelor’s degree
 or higher

You’ll need to send a certificate from UK NARIC confirming this when you apply.

8 hours ago, jinners said:

And something that does a disservice to the indigenous population in UK and many other countries. Begging is now endemic in most big cities. The majority of certain eastern Europe countries have made a massive impact on social services and payments from the same as they have no skills and not interested in work, only using and manipulating the system.

1) As EU nationals are, currently, not subject to the immigration rules, your comment is completely irrelevant to this topic.

2) It is also completely false. Whatever the cause for the increase in homelessness and begging, even the anti EU and anti immigrant Migration Watch accept that approximately 2/3rds of EU nationals in the UK are working and paying tax. What Migration Watch chooses to ignore is that most of the remainder are dependent family members of those working and are not scrounging of the state and begging in the streets.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jools said:

Poor people coming there with inadequate incomes. It's just the reverse in Thailand.

Thailand's visa rules are also aimed at stopping people coming here with inadequate incomes. Most of us expats living here in Thailand are doing so on the basis of retirement and marriage extensions which are subject to specific resource or monthly income requirements, which need to be proved to Immigration on an ongoing annual basis.

8 hours ago, 7by7 said:

1) As EU nationals are, currently, not subject to the immigration rules, your comment is completely irrelevant to this topic.

2) It is also completely false. Whatever the cause for the increase in homelessness and begging, even the anti EU and anti immigrant Migration Watch accept that approximately 2/3rds of EU nationals in the UK are working and paying tax. What Migration Watch chooses to ignore is that most of the remainder are dependent family members of those working and are not scrounging of the state and begging in the streets.

1) As I was responding to an earlier post it is relevant

2) I wasn't referring to EU migrants. I said from certain countries. Those being Romania and Slovakia in particular. I am not interested in what statistics you wish to throw out, facts are that the migrants from those countries are emphatically involved in criminality of one form or another and are a total waste of space and drain on the system.

A Home Office spokeswoman said: "Some applicants for visas to settle in the UK need to pass an English language test at an approved centre that is specified in the immigration rules."

Although I sympathise, she did not comply with the clearly specified rules. "at an approved centre".

I wouldn't criticize the Home Office for this.

• Like 1